Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Using Notation Software products with other (third party) products
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search New Posts

Using Notation Software products with other (third party) products Find out from others, or share your experience, about integrating Notation Software products with sound libraries, audio processing software, and other hardware and software products.

Old 06-12-2005, 05:41 AM
andrew hutnick (ahutnick)

Default Thank you for the suggestions.

Thank you for the suggestions. I may try the virtual MIDI cable with Kontakt 2 and see if that could possibly work like it does with VSampler. The Native Instruments web-site must be down as I am unable to go to their site at present. I will E-mail them and ask if Kontakt 2 will work with a virtual MIDI cable. Thanks,Andrew
Old 06-12-2005, 12:26 PM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy, Lest anyone think I&

Howdy,

Lest anyone think I'm being subversive, I should clarify that I was reverting to my old days in research when I mentioned the "quick and dirty experiment." I simply meant one that didn't involve a lot of variables nor controls - something you can easily try without a lot of effort, and that may give you some idea of what direction to go.

Kontakt/Garritan puts the GPO Studio up for "free" distribution, safe in the knowledge that it will only work for the intended product. I just thought that perhaps since Kontakt2 is also a Kontakt "plugin", that it just might work. But then again, it may not

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 06-12-2005, 04:22 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hello Andrew, I don't t

Hello Andrew,

I don't think a virtual MIDI cable will help to convert the VST plug-in Kontakt2 Player into a MIDI device.

You might think of a virtual MIDI cable as an analogy to a physical Y-cable with one MIDI-In and two MIDI-Outs. What we need is something that is similar to a physical cable adapter that has a MIDI connector at one in and a sound card joy-stick port at the other end. Except, what we need is a software cable (actually a VST host) that has a VST plug-in as input and MIDI as output.

Cheers
-- Mark

Old 06-12-2005, 04:46 PM

Default Hi Mark, VSampler is a VST plu

Hi Mark, VSampler is a VST plugin as well as a stand-alone device and it does work with Composer via a Speedsoft Virtual Midi-Cable quite well.The speedsoft Midi-Cable came with V-Sampler which explains why it's compatible with VSampler.You mentioned previously that you use MIDI yoke { virtual MIDI cable}. I downloaded it and unzipped the file into my computer but it won't appear in composer. Where should I install MIDI yoke so that Composer will be able to see it? I just want to try connecting it to Kontakt 2 to see if it would possibly work.I still can use VSampler with MidiNotate Composer and save as a midi file and export it to a sequencer so that I could hear the file with the wonderful sounds that come with Kontakt 2 particularlly the orchestra sounds! Thanks,Andrew
Old 06-12-2005, 05:42 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hi Andrews, I'm afraid

Hi Andrews,

I'm afraid that this discussion has gone way past my area of knowledge about VST, let alone other software products that I don't have here: Kontakt2 and VSampler.

It may be that the only solution here is that Composer needs to add VST hosting support. This has already been recommended to me by others.

If there is a way (some sort of software adapter) to make Kontakt2's playback accessible via a MIDI application that doesn't act as a VST host, then maybe you can learn about that from other knowledgeable Kontakt2 users in another forum, hopefully Native Instrument's. You might not learn anything more in this forum :-(

It's on my to-do list to explore adding VST host support to Composer. I wish it were there now for you.

Cheers
-- Mark
Old 06-12-2005, 06:16 PM

Default Hi Mark, Yes I would like to s

Hi Mark, Yes I would like to see VST hosting in Composer too.However I can always use VSampler with Composer and then open up that file in a sequencer and hear that score with Kontakt 2. Irregardless I really enjoy using MidiNotate Composer and it does a wonderful job opening Standard Midi files and doing live Midi Transcriptions of my playing and is far easier to edit than either Sibelius or Finale. Thanks, Andrew