Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Technical area > Suggestions and feature requests

Suggestions and feature requests Make suggestions for improving any aspect of any Notation Software product, or for new features.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-17-2010, 04:08 PM

Default Writing for Drum Set

I understand from Sherry that there are changes in the plans for writing for drum sets in Notation Composer. I don't know how far along this project is, but I thought I'd add a few thoughts.

There's a very good book available by Norman Weinberg, Guide to Standardized Drumset Notation, that has the blessing of the "Percussive Arts Society". Here's the Amazon link:

http://www.amazon.com/Standardized-D...2059028&sr=8-1

Not knowing what you have planned, as an old mainframe programmer, our programming languages had "equates", which the programmer could assign to a value, and later use the equate, rather than have to use the value over and over again.

The book uses a staff with the first line at the bottom of the staff.

What I would like to see is the capability for a Notation Composer pitch to be equated (assigned) to a specific place on the staff, like the standard notation mentioned in the book cited above, i.e., bass drum (B2) = 1st space; snare (G2) = 3rd space; hi-hat pedal (G#3)= 1st space below the staff; hi-hat closed (F#3)= 1st space above the staff; hi-hat open (A#3) = same, with O above it to signify open; tom 1 (D4) = 4th space; tom 2 (C4) = 4th line; tom 3 (B3) = 2nd space; tom 4 (A3) = 2nd line; etc. The pitches included here relate to the Drum Jazz Set on my Clavinova.

This would present a much more easily readable (in my opinion) drum part to print. I realize that the above is a bit of a simplification, as there are many more nuances itemized in the standards book, but I just wanted to present the gist of the idea.

Comments, anyone?

Ralph Rayner

Last edited by rrayner; 08-17-2010 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Signed post; added Amazon link