Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Technical area > Questions or problems

Questions or problems Have a question or problem about something you can't find in the Help/Users Guide? Ask it here!

Old 09-26-2009, 03:59 AM
Active User

Default No Sound on Playback

Hello,

I have been using NC for some years without too many problems but not for some time now. I fired it up last night with a tune or two I knew always worked but - NO SOUND! I've checked the usual culprits - volume sliders turned down, other programs running, sound card codec, speakers, etc. but nothing. I was messing about with one tune and after after about 2 minutes it started to play - just out of the blue! But no more.

I then tried a brand new file with just a few notes - I get sound when I enter notes but still nothing on playback.

Last night the Midi Devices Quick Setup Test Playback worked ok but now that doesn't work either.

I tried a re-install but still no go.

BTW: I also use Noteworthy Composer and it has no problems playing back at all. I would much rather use NotnC however - for obvious reasons.
I also have Windows Media Player 11 installed (but not running at the same time as NotnC).
Attached Files
File Type: not Test.not (12.8 KB, 5 views)
Old 09-26-2009, 12:12 PM
Active User

Default Re: No Sound on Playback

Well for no obvious reason the problem has resolved itself. I think there had been a massive delay before the tune would play such that rather than there being no sound it was just taking ages to start playing.

It works ok now so I'm none the wiser.

Now if that practice setup bug were fixed this would have to be close to the perfect musician's notation program...
Old 09-26-2009, 12:37 PM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)

Howdy,

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanMc View Post
Well for no obvious reason the problem has resolved itself. I think there had been a massive delay before the tune would play such that rather than there being no sound it was just taking ages to start playing.

It works ok now so I'm none the wiser.
I am glad that it's working for you, but that is strange behavior. Just out of curiosity,
  • was the program taking a long time to first open,
  • or was it taking a long time to transcribe the song after you selected which song to open,
  • or after clicking "Play" was it taking a long time before the blue beat cursor and the sound started,
  • or after clicking Play did the beat cursor start going but no sound,
  • or...?
The answer may give us a clue if there is an intermittent bug (the worst kind) that we might be able to get a handle on. Of course it's always easier if we can make it happen repeatedly, but I am glad for you that it's working well now Also, what kind of sound card and video card do you have?

Quote:
Now if that practice setup bug were fixed this would have to be close to the perfect musician's notation program...
I know that's a hassle for a number of users. We'll be working on that very soon, to get a maintenance release out with a fix.

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 09-26-2009, 03:28 PM
Active User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry C View Post
Howdy,

I am glad that it's working for you, but that is strange behavior. Just out of curiosity,
  • was the program taking a long time to first open,
  • or was it taking a long time to transcribe the song after you selected which song to open,
  • or after clicking "Play" was it taking a long time before the blue beat cursor and the sound started,
  • or after clicking Play did the beat cursor start going but no sound,
  • or...?
The answer may give us a clue if there is an intermittent bug (the worst kind) that we might be able to get a handle on. Of course it's always easier if we can make it happen repeatedly, but I am glad for you that it's working well now Also, what kind of sound card and video card do you have?

I know that's a hassle for a number of users. We'll be working on that very soon, to get a maintenance release out with a fix.

ttfn,
Sherry
Thanks Sherry,

The program opened in a reasonably short time.
Transcription time was ok.
But yes, after clicking play, nothing seemed to happen - no beat cursor or sound. However later I did this and it started playing (sound and cursor) after about 20-30 seconds so I realized it wasn't just a sound problem because, as I said, the NWC program worked ok.
I am using the program on a Dell C640 laptop which has a ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 (M7) Video Adapter and Intel 82801CAM ICH3-M - AC'97 Audio Controller [B-1] PCI. So not sure what the problem was.

Looking forward to that practice fix...

Kind regards,
Ian
Old 09-27-2009, 03:17 PM

Location: Balderson, Ontario, Canada, 100 kms (60 miles) from Ottawa

Hi, all:

There is a similar behaviour when a staff tries to communicate with an internal midi port (eg. Hubi's Loopback, MapleMidi) to which no synth or playback device is assigned.

The cursor and menu processes slow to a crawl and playback is delayed on all ports, not just the one with no device on the midi port.

It doesn't actually crash, but it moves so slowly you think it has done so.

David
Old 09-27-2009, 10:32 PM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)

Howdy guys,

Thanks for that observation David. I've not been in that situation, nor has anyone (that I know of) reported the problem with playback slowing to a crawl if there is no device assigned to an internal MIDI port. I'll mess around with that (I have MapleMIDI installed) and report the problem.

Ian, with that in mind, do you have multiple MIDI devices set up on your machine, and might that have been the explanation? (eg. that the file had a device assignment that had been previously routed to an internal MIDI port which was not assigned when you tried to play the file.)

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 10-07-2009, 08:53 AM
Active User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry C View Post
Howdy guys,
Ian, with that in mind, do you have multiple MIDI devices set up on your machine, and might that have been the explanation? (eg. that the file had a device assignment that had been previously routed to an internal MIDI port which was not assigned when you tried to play the file.)

ttfn,
Sherry
No Sherry, no just the MS GS Wavetable Synth for playback on my computer. I don't use any external devices. Seems to be very spasmodic - sometimes it works straight away and then a delay for some reason. Could well be this slow old laptop of course.

Best wishes,
Ian