Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Technical area > Questions or problems
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search New Posts

Questions or problems Have a question or problem about something you can't find in the Help/Users Guide? Ask it here!

Old 10-16-2010, 01:43 PM
Senior User

Default Decrease velocity contrast works odd

When I select multiple notes of a monophonic melody line along the time line the operations seem to work proper.

But wen I select a single chord with different velocities and apply "decrease contrast" the velocity values do not balance but increase in contrast. The option "increase contrast" affects the same change.

When I select more than one cord along the time line the operations seem basically to work somehow but the steps are coarse and weird.

Is this a bug or "a feature"...
Old 10-19-2010, 05:37 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Decrease velocity contrast works odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotationUser View Post
But wen I select a single chord with different velocities and apply "decrease contrast" the velocity values do not balance but increase in contrast. The option "increase contrast" affects the same change.
The "decrease contrast" option for note velocity (loudness) is intended to contrast a series of notes. It wasn't designed for contrasting notes in a single selected chord. I could implement that, but this is a very specialized situation you're looking at here, that probably only one in a 1000 users would care about. So, I won't put this on the wish-list of many high priority items, unless some other users chime into this forum post and tell me they'd like this option for single chord note velocity contrast increase/decrease as well.

Cheers
-- Mark (the developer)
Old 10-19-2010, 09:10 AM
Senior User

I was just surprised that it matters which notes are selected.

My expectation of "contrast" operations was something like you calculate the average velocity of all selected notes, then determine which ones values to increase or decrease and apply that incrementally by this operation up to the average value or the upper(127)/lower(0) bound.

Looking at it a bit more "complex" it's a kind of curve adjustment - like some midi filters or imaging programs offer with curves - here applied to midi velocity values.

Probably my main "problem" is I don't understand what you are really doing here and some explanation would help.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:57 PM
Administrator

Hello NotationUser,

For the upcoming v2.6.3, I'll try to fix this problem with note velocity (loudness) contrast not working. It should take me only 15-30 minutes to fix. (Task #2362)

The v2.6.3 release is expected in the next week or two.

Cheers
-- Mark
Old 10-19-2010, 07:25 PM
Senior User

Thanks for putting it on your list but take the time you need to change it proper.

I know I have sent many posts the passed week. Some address minor bugs. Others "inconvenient miracles". I have done also many suggestions I do really not expect to happen soon.

Don't take my posts as criticism - it isn't. It is just all I can give in return for discussion and probably helping to make an already very good software even better.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:40 AM
Administrator

Hello NotationUser,

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotationUser View Post
Thanks for putting it on your list but take the time you need to change it proper.
I investigated the problem with the note velocity (loudness) contrast command not working for a single chord. I'm going to declare this as "won't fix".

It had been many years ago since I implemented this feature. There are two features for changing the note velocities for many notes. One feature is to increase or decrease the slope of note velocities of a crescendo or decrescendo. The second feature is to increase or decrease the contrast of note velocities. The calculations were biased towards the first of the two features. A cresc or decresc needs at least two distinct note or chord locations. The increase or decrease cresc understandably does nothing if the notes are all at one location, i.e., they form a single chord. The second feature, increasing or decreasing the contrast of notes, piggy-backs the first feature; it borrows logic and calculations from the cresc/decresc command. If there is only one chord, then the logic throws up it hands and says it can't do this.

Well, so I tried fixing this, but after a half hour couldn't. This bug isn't worth spending more time, given other higher priority bugs that would take no more or less time to fix.

Sorry to say I won't fix this probably for a long time. Other bugs and features to work on.

Cheers
-- Mark