Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Technical area > Questions or problems

Questions or problems Have a question or problem about something you can't find in the Help/Users Guide? Ask it here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-06-2011, 06:24 PM
Senior User

Default Transpose guitar chords without changing notes

Being a lazy guitarist, I often use a Capo to play chords in an easier key. There are two scenarios where my starting version of a score may contain chords in the key corresponding to the notes, rather than the key I would like to use with a Capo.
1) where I have manually entered the notes and the chords from scratch
2) where I have imported a MIDI file and then used the most useful Transcribe function to generate a set of chords.

In order to transpose the chords into the "Capo-ed" key, my current experience is that I have to Transpose the score, which will then also Transpose the chords. However this has the following impacts -
1) I cannot then play the score to practise the chords, as the notes are now in the wrong key
2) I cannot share my printed score with an instrumentalist as they will be playing in the wrong key.

This is a long-winded way of posing my basic question which is - is there any way to transpose the guitar chords without transposing the underlying notes? Or is my only option to manually transcribe the guitar chords as a punishment for being lazy and using a Capo?