Jaap Veneman (jaapv)

Default Mark, All links to the pat

Mark,

All links to the patch files are dead, resulting in the error page

"Not Found
The requested document was not found on this server."
---------------------------------------------------
Web Server at notation.com

which is I think the same as Davids error 404.

Cheers Jaap
Old 02-21-2007, 07:55 PM
Jaap Veneman (jaapv)

Default Mark, The patches are now a

Mark,

The patches are now available for download.

Thanks very much

Cheers Jaap
Old 02-21-2007, 07:59 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hello David, As Jaap report

Hello David,

As Jaap reported, the patches are now really available for download.

Cheers
-- Mark
Old 02-22-2007, 01:48 AM
Daniel Vallery (danielv)

Default Mark, after updating from

Mark,

after updating from 2.02 to 2.03 with the patch, when I push either the play or record button, the program closes after a typical error message. This happens on any file, and happens every time I try without exception. Restarting the computer does not help.

Thanks,
~Daniel
Old 02-22-2007, 02:05 AM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hello Daniel, What steps di

Hello Daniel,

What steps did you take to install the 2.0.3 patch? Did you just run the patch and nothing else? Did you move the Composer program from one directory to another?

Please try this: In the \Program Files\Notation\Composer directory,
rename MidiDev.cfg to MidiDev.bak, and then run Composer again. Does that fix the problem?

If so, please send me the renamed MidiDev.bak file.

Cheers
-- Mark
Old 02-22-2007, 02:22 AM
David Jacklin (dj)

Default Hi, Daniel and Mark: No pla

Hi, Daniel and Mark:

No playback problems for me with 2.0.3.

And, thanks Mark, you'v rescued a lot of formatting work for me.

David
Old 02-22-2007, 03:43 AM
Daniel Vallery (danielv)

Default Hi, thank you Mark, renamin

Hi,

thank you Mark, renaming that file did do the trick.

In answer to your questions:

With the program in it's original directory, I simply downloaded and ran the update patch, leaving the checkbox options checked.

Like you asked, I'm sending the renamed file to markwa@notation.com.

Thanks again,
~Daniel
Old 02-22-2007, 05:10 AM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hello Daniel, I tried runni

Hello Daniel,

I tried running Composer using the MidiDev.cfg you sent me, but Composer didn't complain or crash. Composer's MIDI Device Configuration window shows evidence of your configuration, such as the Turtle Beach USB MIDI 1x1.

I'd appreciate your trying it again. Rename your now good MidiDev.cfg to, say, MidiDev.bk2; and rename your MidiDev.bak back to MidiDev.cfg. Does Composer crash again when you try to now run it?

Of course, if it does, restore your MidiDev.bk2 back to MidiDev.cfg.

Thanks for your investigation.

Cheers
-- Mark
Old 02-22-2007, 05:42 AM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hi Mark, Just now tried pla

Hi Mark,

Just now tried playing a file and had the same "needs to close" message. I renamed Mididev.cfg to Mididev.bk2 ( there was already a Mididev.bak from dec). Now it plays fine, but here the rather BIG rub: all the presets I had typed in are GONE.

I renamed the file to Mididev.cfg, and it still plays fine, but all the presets are still GONE.

If I can get back to 2.02, hopefully that will save me about 3 hours of typing, but how do I do that? I have the 2.02 patch yet and I have the
easy patch log from installing 2.03.

all best,
mgj
Old 02-22-2007, 07:25 AM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hi Mark, I did a system res

Hi Mark,

I did a system restore to about 24 hours ago and after again downloading the 2.02 to 2.03 patch and installing it, got the same results, namely that the program encountered a problem and crashed when I hit the space bar or clicked the icon to play. And of course all the added banks and patch names were gone.

So I went back to 2.02. . . I hope. I renamed composer.exe to composer.bac, then renamed composer.easypatch.bak to composer.exe. Help/About now showed 2.02, but the patch names were still missing. So I renamed Mididev.cfg to Mididev.bac and copied in the backup I had made of the Mididev.cfg that was working with 2.02 (about 67KB). Now everything seems to work as it did last night.

It does NOT work to simply use the 67KB Mididev.cfg with the 2.03 Composer.exe. A problem is encountered and Composer must close...

The remaining question is: how do I go about getting 2.03 installed AND retain all the added banks and patch names? Or am I just going to have to bite the bullet and do all that typing again?

best,
mgj
Old 02-22-2007, 03:28 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hello MG, I'm now prett

Hello MG,

I'm now pretty certain what the problem is with MidiDev.cfg and should be able to fix it in a 2.0.4 release today or tomorrow. It will be a very high priority to get this fixed. I'm surprised there are not more reports of the problem, but perhaps I don't fully understand it yet.

For now, stay back on 2.0.2.

If I hear more reports of this problem, I'll temporarily remove the 2.0.3 patch from the www.notation.com/ComposerUpdate.htm and www.notation.com/MusicianUpdate.htm pages.

Cheers
-- Mark
Old 02-22-2007, 03:36 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hello MG, I'd apprecia

Hello MG,

I'd appreciate your sending me the MidiDev.cfg (MidiDev.bac) file that Composer 2.0.3 choked on. Daniel sent me his, but I'd like to have a second one here for extra testing. Thanks!

Cheers
-- Mark
Old 02-22-2007, 03:36 PM
Daniel Vallery (danielv)

Default Hi Mark, I did everything y

Hi Mark,

I did everything you asked, and yes composer DID crash when I pushed play. Because the Turtle Beach is installed but wasn't plugged in, I thought that might be the problem, but when I plugged in my keyboard to the computer and tried the original .cfg, and it still crashed, so I changed everything back to when it worked and everything's fine.
Thanks,
~Daniel
Old 02-22-2007, 03:53 PM
Fred Winterling (harbor1)

Default Hi Mark, I installed the 2.0.

Hi Mark,
I installed the 2.0.3 patch yesterday and it worked fine. I tried it today and the program crashed (had to close). I don't want to start changing the cfg filenames back and forth. How do I get back to 2.0.2? Thanks!

Cheers,
Fred
Old 02-22-2007, 04:44 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hello All, Due to the above

Hello All,

Due to the above reported problems that Composer 2.0.3 crashes on startup for some systems, I have removed the 2.0.3 release and provided a reverse 2.0.3 to 2.0.2 patch. PLEASE NOTE: Use the reverse 2.0.3 to 2.0.2 patch only if you are not able to start Composer 2.0.3 If you are able to start 2.0.3 and apply the 2.0.2 reverse patch, then Composer 2.0.2 will not be able to read the MidiDev.cfg file most recently saved by 2.0.3.

If, and only if, you are not able to start Composer 2.0.3, then you should download and run the reverse 2.0.3 to 2.0.2 patch, available at www.notation.com/ComposerUpdate.htm.

In spite of my claim a couple of posts above that I thought I knew what the problem was, I still don't. I can't even reproduce the problem yet. But I'm working on it. This is my top priority.

Cheers
-- Mark
Old 02-22-2007, 05:22 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hello All, I've now rep

Hello All,

I've now reproduced the bug(!) I'm hot on the tracks of this bug now.

MG, there's no need for you to send me your MidiDev.cfg file.

Cheers
-- Mark
Old 02-22-2007, 05:33 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hello All, I've now fix

Hello All,

I've now fixed the bug. I'll get a 2.0.4 release out as soon as possible, hopefully today.

Cheers
-- Mark
Old 02-22-2007, 05:34 PM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hi Mark, Whew. Double whew

Hi Mark,

Whew. Double whew. Glad you're on the track of the game afoot. But also that you don't need the file. I have .bk2, .bk3, etc. still in the Composer directory, so was doing a bit of tracking myself. Finally traced it to THE file--26.2KB, I think. But was trying to figure out what to do with the other one--the 67KB file that worked with 2.02. I am using that now, in my manual reversion to 02, but it also crashed 2.03. Finally just decided to make a copy of it and send the two of them.

all best,
mgj
Old 02-22-2007, 06:06 PM

Default Hi Mark, I switched back to

Hi Mark,

I switched back to 2.0.2 by Uninstalling Composer 2.0.3 and reinstalling 2.0 then the 2.0.1 patch, then the 2.0.1 to 2.0.2 patch to be on the safe side.
I wonder. Could the problem have been caused by switching from the Install Shield Wizard? I have never had a problem with Install Shield. Since downloading and installing the 2.0.3 patch, my computer has slowed down a lot. Every time I restart my computer everthing takes a long time to load up. It comes back up to speed after I have opened various programs and waited an eternity for them to load. I don't know if anyone else is experiencing this, but it didn't happen before until I used the patch. Thanks for any suggestions.
Cheers,
Fred
Old 02-22-2007, 06:41 PM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hi Fred, I've had slow

Hi Fred,

I've had slow start up of Composer for quite a while, not just with 03. But once started, I can close and re-open it any number of times and it's immediate. After a re-start, it's the same thing: very slow first open; immediate thereafter. Does Composer open fast after the the initial slow start for you, too?

best,
mgj
Old 02-22-2007, 07:25 PM

Default Hi MG, The slow start up pr

Hi MG,

The slow start up problem is not only related to Composer, but to everything on my computer. NO matter what I click on, the start is slow. If I click on "search", it takes about a minute for the window to show up. That applies to every program, feature, game or whatever including my internet browser start up. After clicking on a few items, the speed returns to normal for everything. If I restart the computer, the problem starts all over again. It appears something was put into my registry to cause this, but I am not comfortable going into the registry and trying to find it. IF you delete the wrong thing there, you are in for bigger trouble. I have ran diagnostic programs (which also took forever to load) but it tells me everything is OK. I don't know where to go from here, but it is a pain.

Cheers,
Fred
Old 02-22-2007, 07:35 PM
Jaap Veneman (jaapv)

Default I have 2.03 installed since ye

I have 2.03 installed since yesterday. Unfortunately I also experienced now a few instances where my system freezed or slowed down extremely - two times it required a hard reset, other times I could restart the system. Starting the system is not slowed down, but at normal speed. I cannot relate this directly to Composer although I worked yesterday and today several times with Composer,
while I did not have this problem before.
I already reported yesterday Composer 2.03 crashed but could not yet reproduce this.

In XP there is a way to monitor the startup times and analyse the logfile for specific delayed driver loading or else. Í did forget how but it was easy, may be Mark can give a suggestion how to do.

Cheers Jaap
Old 02-22-2007, 07:44 PM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hi Fred, Ah, okay. The sam

Hi Fred,

Ah, okay. The same thing happens with IE, Firefox, Opera, Thunderbird and quite a few other programs, too. Some are slower than others. I don't think it's related to Composer and as far as I can remember, I've had it from the beginning. I have 4GB of memory and Pentium 4 dual core. Once in a program, everything is lightning fast, so maybe the power doesn't have anything to do with program loading?

best,
mgj
Old 02-22-2007, 08:07 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hello MG, Are your other ap

Hello MG,

Are your other apps slow even if you restart Windows and have never run Composer in that session?

Cheers
-- Mark
Old 02-22-2007, 08:26 PM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hi Mark, Yes, many of them.

Hi Mark,

Yes, many of them. That is why I don't believe it has anything to do with Composer. Opera's splash screen (where one chooses a saved session, no home page, home page, etc.) is extremely slow. Apps like Metapad and Rough Draft are, however, always instant loads.

I have cleaned the registry a number of times, using an app that detects duplicates, references to deleted apps, etc. Also compact it using Win Rescue once a month, and also run RegClean once a week.

Basically, I've just learned to live with it. Actual times, as examples, Opera's splash screen up to 8 seconds, Composer up to 5 seconds, Thunderbird usually around 3 seconds, Metapad less than 1 second.

Kind of head-scratching stuff, isn't it?

best,
mgj
Old 02-22-2007, 10:00 PM
Jaap Veneman (jaapv)

Default Hello MG, You tell us that

Hello MG,

You tell us that you frequently "clean"you registry with different tools. Might well be in one of these cleaning sessions you lost some vital lines in the registry, causing one or more windows routine to search for a Dll or driver to load, but can't. Such problems are very difficult to recover from.

Personally I have some bad experience in the past and only do carefully cleaning if really necessary.

The best thing you can do now is backup all your data on your program/system disk and format and install your system (XP incl updates) and programs from scratch on. Avoid to install programs you don;t really need. Each program add's lots of data to the registry which becomes larger and makes your system slower.
De-installing routine of many programs do not effectively remove their entries.

I'm myself working with many programs, updating these regularly.
As average one per year I do a completely new system and programs installation to get back a fast running system.

Cheers Jaap
Old 02-22-2007, 10:49 PM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hi Jaap, quote Might well

Hi Jaap,

Might well be in one of these cleaning sessions you lost some vital lines in the registry

Not likely, since I've had some programs that open slowly from the beginning, before I did any registry cleaning.

Actually, after compacting the registry with Win Rescue (basically a registry and files backup program), overall speed of the computer improves. Running RegClean makes no difference that I can tell, although the un-do files it produces are usually about 100KB.

So, while I would like all programs to open as fast as, say Notepad, which is instant, the others open at about the same rate as they did when the computer was new.

Perhaps defragging the HD would do as much as could be done...but that's not easy to find the hours to do since the computer is almost always in use.

all best,
mgj
Old 02-23-2007, 05:53 AM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hello All, The crashing bug

Hello All,

The crashing bug at the start of playback, due to a problem in the MidiDev.cfg file, has now been fixed in version 2.0.4. You can get a patch to 2.0.4 at www.notation.com/ComposerUpdate.htm

It does not matter what the history of your MidiDev.cfg file is, version 2.0.4 should be able to read it ok.

However, once you open Composer 2.0.4, you won't be able to use its MidiDev.cfg file with an earlier version of Composer. Going the other way is fine: Composer 2.0.4 will recognize the MidiDev.cfg from any previous prevsion of Composer.

Cheers
-- Mark
Old 02-23-2007, 06:02 AM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hello All, You'll find

Hello All,

You'll find that you will not be able to add any more posts to this Developer's Announcement section of the forum. I've changed this so that folk who subscribe for email notifications from the Developer's Announcements will only get my announcements, and not the discussions that follow.

The reason for this honestly isn't that I don't want there to be discussions about problems with the releases. You know me better than that. Rather, I want to keep the email notifications for this Developer's Announcement section limited to just my announcements, so that folk who subscribe to email notifications for this section will not get lots of other emails with follow-up discussions. Some people do not want to subscribe to email for the whole forum. Some people just want to hear my announcements.

From now on, if you find a problem with a maintenance release, please report the problem in another section of the forum that most closely relates to the subject of the problem.

If you report a serious bug, such as the one found in 2.0.3 (crashing on start of playback), then I'll send out an announcement about it from this Developer's Announcement section of the forum. If there is discussion about that problem elsewhere in the forum, I'll add a link to it from my announcement.

There's some discussion already going on in this thread that should continue. Tomorrow I'll copy and paste the discussion to other sections of the forum... unless I wake up tomorrow and find that some kind soul has already done that for me.

Cheers
-- Mark
Old 02-23-2007, 07:42 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hello Notation Composer and Mu

Hello Notation Composer and Musician Users,

Maintenance Release Version 2.0.3 of Notation Composer and Notation Musician has been released. If you are using version 2.0, 2.0.1 or 2.0.2, I recommend that you update to version 2.0.3 using a patch. For instructions, please visit www.notation.com/ComposerUpdate.htm or www.notation.com/MusicianUpdate.htm.

The fixes and improvements in version 2.0.3 are:

File saving and reopening. Fix bug: In some special circumstances, a file could not be reopened after it was saved. Those files can now be reopened without any problem. The special circumstances involved a combination of using layout commands and deleting parts.

Parts. Fix bug: The Notation program might hang when you delete a part, if some circumstances in which you used page layout commands on a measure for that part and the same measure in another part.

Playback. Fix bug: No sound was heard in Notation Composer if Windows Multimedia Player (WMP) version 11 previously played a MIDI file, because WMP changes the Control Panel / Sound / MIDI volume level to zero by surprise.

Text. Fix bug (problem only in Musician, not Composer): The Free Text option to add a mixture of music symbols and normal text failed with an error message.

MusicXML Export (feature in Composer only). Improvements:

* Include default-x and default-y attributes for credit/credit-words.
* Instead of note/pitch/alter values 11 and 10, use -1 and -2.
* Do not include key, clef, and time for measures in which these do not change.
* Add notations/tied element, in additiona to note/tie element.
* Do not include an accidental-mark element for trill, if the accidental is none.
* Include the orientation attribute (over/underP for note/notations/tied.
* Remove unnecessary backup element at the end of measures.
* Do not export stems for whole notes.

Cheers
-- Mark