Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Technical area > Questions or problems

Questions or problems Have a question or problem about something you can't find in the Help/Users Guide? Ask it here!

Old 03-22-2017, 09:54 AM
Active User

Default XML export - Lyric misalignment

On XML export I get an error message (screen capture attached) that says I have lyric misalignment. I use the recommended Shift+L and have visually proofed the alignment 3 times but find nothing. Is there a way to zero in on the problem lyric(s)?

[The attached .not is incomplete but I will post the completed piece here, later, in the music sharing section of this forum if my request for permission from the copyright holder is granted. Please do not use or retain this file until the permission is obtained.]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-03-22 05_37_46-Composer xml error.jpg (24.0 KB, 22 views)
Attached Files
File Type: not Geographical Fugue, 4 voices, Instruments.not (133.8 KB, 2 views)
Old 03-24-2017, 03:56 PM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)
Default Re: XML export - Lyric misalignment

Hi Bill,

Thanks for including the file. I have a couple of suspicions, but we will need a day or two to explore this further. Sorry for the delay, but we'll get back to you soon!

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 03-28-2017, 08:07 PM
Administrator

So, the issue is clear now. First of all there are a few empty lyrics syllables in Voice 1 which create the warning for Voice 1. In 3.0.7 we do a fix that when a lyrics syllable is empty, no warning will be displayed.

For Voice 3 the tie at measure 28 creates the warning. Please see below. Using the Shift+L command does not shift the syllable "sa-" to the next note because there is already the lyrics syllable "ki" located. The tie was probably added (and I think that this is the only possibility) AFTER the lyrics had been inserted. In fact lyrics should not be allowed in this case. But it is done by design not to shift any lyrics when a tie is added nor to block any tie because of a located lyrics. It was decided to leave this situation as a pragmatic solution even it is a kind of an "inconsistancy".

However, when now the song is exported by MusicXML such an inconsistancy may cause an issue in another software program. I tested the MusicXML export by importing the file into Sibelius, Finale, Dorico and MuseScore. All programs import the lyrics as well as the tie properly. I came to the conclusion to leave the software here as is with the warning.

In a nutshell:
  • if you delete the tie in measure 28 the warning about Voice 3 disappears
  • the warning about Voice 1 will disappear with 3.0.7
and all is fine with the MusicXML export.

Reinhold
Attached Images
File Type: png Warning.png (4.7 KB, 12 views)
Old 03-28-2017, 10:24 PM
Active User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhold H. View Post
So, the issue is clear now. First of all there are a few empty lyrics syllables in Voice 1 which create the warning for Voice 1. In 3.0.7 we do a fix that when a lyrics syllable is empty, no warning will be displayed.

For Voice 3 the tie at measure 28 creates the warning. Please see below. Using the Shift+L command does not shift the syllable "sa-" to the next note because there is already the lyrics syllable "ki" located. The tie was probably added (and I think that this is the only possibility) AFTER the lyrics had been inserted. In fact lyrics should not be allowed in this case. But it is done by design not to shift any lyrics when a tie is added nor to block any tie because of a located lyrics. It was decided to leave this situation as a pragmatic solution even it is a kind of an "inconsistency".

However, when now the song is exported by MusicXML such an inconsistency may cause an issue in another software program. I tested the MusicXML export by importing the file into Sibelius, Finale, Dorico and MuseScore. All programs import the lyrics as well as the tie properly. I came to the conclusion to leave the software here as is with the warning.

In a nutshell:
  • if you delete the tie in measure 28 the warning about Voice 3 disappears
  • the warning about Voice 1 will disappear with 3.0.7
and all is fine with the MusicXML export.

Reinhold
Thank you for your thorough explanation. Extraordinary support. Much appreciated. Wjhilecontrinuing to work on the piece I did see and remove the unwanted tie. I have no idea why I added it in the first place .

One question remains: what is an "empty lyrics syllables"? Is it just a note that should have a syllable under it?

Bill
Old 03-29-2017, 08:11 AM
Administrator

An "empty lyrics syllables" is just an empty text cell left somewhere. One example is in measure 20 at beat 1 (see arrow). It probably happened because the tie (measure 19 to 20) was added and afterwards the syllable "ma" was shifted. Those empty text cell are invisible and will be ignored.

By stepping syllable by syllable from measure 19 to measure 20 you will recognize that 2 steps are required to reach the syllable "ma". This is the only indication that there is such an empty text cell.

Reinhold
Attached Images
File Type: png Unbenannt.png (59.1 KB, 10 views)
Old 03-29-2017, 02:28 PM
Active User

Quote:
An "empty lyrics syllables" is just an empty text cell left somewhere. One example is in measure 20 at beat 1 (see arrow). It probably happened because the tie (measure 19 to 20) was added and afterwards the syllable "ma" was shifted. Those empty text cell are invisible and will be ignored.

By stepping syllable by syllable from measure 19 to measure 20 you will recognize that 2 steps are required to reach the syllable "ma". This is the only indication that there is such an empty text cell.

Reinhold
It is written that way because the duration of the syllable "ha-" is a 1/4 beat with the first 1/8th at the end of measure 19 and the second 1/8th of the 1/4 note extending into measure 20, therefore, the tie. Should it be written differently?
Bill
Old 03-29-2017, 03:57 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briansdad View Post
It is written that way because the duration of the syllable "ha-" is a 1/4 beat with the first 1/8th at the end of measure 19 and the second 1/8th of the 1/4 note extending into measure 20, therefore, the tie. Should it be written differently?
Bill
The writing is perfect. In 3.0.7 we will have the fix that an empty lyric cell is eliminated.

Reinhold
Old 03-29-2017, 05:43 PM
Active User

Quote:
The writing is perfect. In 3.0.7 we will have the fix that an empty lyric cell is eliminated.

Reinhold
Ah, that is what you were saying above. Sorry, got it now. Thanks for your patience.