Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Share Your Music

Share Your Music Share your .not or .mid files of your arrangements or compositions.

Old 05-17-2008, 05:05 PM
Michael Dodson (michael8648)

Default Some of my work with my musica

Some of my work with my musical:
Here is "Herod's Waltz" and "Everything To Me"
Old 05-17-2008, 05:20 PM

<center><table border=1><tr><td>intro- Herods Waltz - "unclean"
HerodsWaltz.mid (51.5 k)</td></tr></table></center>
The introduction is for a dark stage, and when all is very dark, the stage is bright and loud with the vulgar King Herod The Great in a waltz with his attendant audience and harlots. A girl runs across stage and he delares her "unclean".
<center><table border=1><tr><td>Everything To Me - Joseph reflects on his meeting
EverythingToMe.mid (8.8 k)</td></tr></table></center>
"Everything to Me" is Joseph's reflection on his first meeting with Mary, a young woman who has been put together in a chaperoned meeting with this older man by dire circumstance. This extremely old love story is still full of mystery.
I am an ardent admirer of Richard Rogers' waltzes and Oscar Hammerstein's lyrics. Having attempted both here, I am even more ardent in my praise of their genius.
Still, we all start with a simple tune someone could hum in the shower.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:58 AM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy Michael, I love it!!!

Howdy Michael,

I love it!!!!! I finally got to listen to Herod's Waltz without interruption (I work from home and homeschool our four kids, so that's a rarity ). The lyrics are great(!), and the music really complements them. What started out as very dark and threatening (musically speaking) gives a very good feel for Herod's dark side (and it certainly was, from the histories I've read). To have this intro happen with a dark stage would give me goosebumps. To turn that into a bawdy waltz with such lyrics fits what I would imagine to be Herod's personality quite well.

"Everything to Me" evokes the ambience of a man in love. It's a waltz as well, but a dreamy and tender one, which provides a wonderful contrast to the "personality" of Herod's Waltz.

Well done on both!

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 05-20-2008, 09:05 AM

Default Writing from Scratch: I hav

Writing from Scratch:

I have a major peeve when wanting to work with or compose music. I can’t have a television on within earshot. These days the television advertising stream is interrupted at spasmodic times with programming. The advertising stream most always has some form of music in background or clubbing you over the head. Our music genius and music dregs are being paid well by advertising. I’m jealous and hope they haven’t completely sold out their art. But they assault our psyche continually. Life is not an advertising oratorio, so silence is more than golden, and most often necessary.

Some of you, like myself, understand computer programming concepts and structure. Some may have areas of genius, and others, may be genius in their overall clarity of vision and scheming to complete goals. Most all of us in the forum, understand music composition concepts and structure. Many of us

will find a certain type of genius in special facets of music while a few may have an overall clarity of vision and developed technique to accomplish some artistic feats. I don’t see myself as any kind of genius, yet I will on occasion have a little epiphany. I’ve experienced putting together musical ideas and played them back and amazed myself. If you work at composition for even a brief length of time, the time will come when your mind will quietly ask you, "Did I write that?"

Of course, you didn’t. The great fear of all writers and composers who value their work is creating something only to find someone else did it and published it.

"If I have seen farther than others it was because I was standing on the shoulders of giants" – Sir Isaac Newton –

No, you didn’t write that clever melody that fit the mood and atmosphere you wanted. Many wrote it, with you, helping you put it together. So, you can put it together with your name on it, and call it your creation, but you know how you got there by way of giants you may not have seen or studied.

My case in point: I was directing a small church choir. They had decided to sing an old Christmas cantata from several years back, and I worked on it with them. It was lovely, and not bad for a very small choir. It was flawed in my view, and I grumbled a little that Joseph always got the raw end of the story when he went through a lot of grief. Someone told me to put my music where my mouth was or let it go.

I’d written some kind of planesongy-type tunes to impress a girl one time. I knew I needed more structure with a tempo and to fit in with the other music I should have some kind of lead-in. I was very green at this.

The curse of all time, television, infected my brain with a Fischer-Price commercial for Christmas toys. It was syncopated glee, and not the mood I needed. Joseph was completely stressed, and he was being pulled one way, then another. If I took about the first eight bars of Fischer-Price and leveled out the syncopation to a more fluid and slower legatto, it had Joseph’s pending stress. One you find a melody, you have chords, counter-melodies and whole new melody structures that look not-at-all like the Fischer-Price pitch to sell toys in whoopy land. Thus, that Christmas, I auditioned "Shall I Conceal What Love has Done ?" The rest is not history, but it was the end of the beginning.

If you recognize Fischer-Price, it's not identical, yet from this meandering lead-in I heard my ideas for the rest of the work.
This in not (yet) in karaoke form.

<center><table border=1><tr><td>Shall I Conceal What Love Has Done? from Joseph and Family by Michael Dodson
Shall_I_Conceal_What_Love_Has_Done.mid (18.0 k)</td></tr></table></center>

"Shall I conceal what love has done, what love has done for me?
Betroathed am I with loving heart, and what does my heart see?
Can grain be gathered from a field where seed has never been?
Shall Mary's lif be cursed to scorn in evil eyes of men?
A cousin or a loving friend could hide my love away.
And on what truth would my son stand beneath the light of day?
O' Father, God of Abraham,
My God of David, too,
In ancient times you showed the way,
What shall my poor flesh do?"
Old 05-20-2008, 09:18 AM

Default A good evening, too, Sherry.

A good evening, too, Sherry.
Our postings popped in simultaneously or close to it. I was very happy to see your post just as I was posting about my first tune in the musical. Well, it started that way. Herod's Waltz cam in later and moved to the beginning. He is one of those characters everyone can love to hate. The lyric doesn't exaggerate, but with a couple of millenia between us, he can almost be pointed to with a smile.
I intend to share more of the musical in the future.
I appreciate all your comments,
and always did.
Michael
Old 05-22-2008, 02:32 AM

Default Continuing with sharing my mus

Continuing with sharing my musical: Following the opening with the intro/Herod's Waltz -- Herod declares a running girl is "unclean" as he stands in the midst of all his virtues. Thus, a local leader is appointed to call a community meeting and have the girl purged from the community. Such an act would be near a death sentence and place the girl eligible to follow the troop of harlots, possibly Herod's intention to begin with. Thus, Abrahm calls together the town fathers to purge the girl Mary, currently in the care of her Uncle Benjamin. The last words are silenced as Benjamin silences Abrahm's obscenity.
<center><table border=1><tr><td>The Community Meeting from Joseph and Family
The Community Meeting.mid (34.1 k)</td></tr></table></center>
The lyrics are attached in Karaoke form. Thanks to Mark, who helped me figure how to rearrange staves.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:15 AM

Default Mary's Uncle Benjamin trie

Mary's Uncle Benjamin tries to talk sense to the town elders. Abrahm, the ranking elder sees no hope for the girl, but thinking he might actually have the power to commute the girl's condemnation, allows Benjamin time to find the girl a husband and put Herod in a position to be generous. This was only after much persuasion from Benjamin, as no man in his right brain would want to marry such a condemned person, even if she does come from good stock. It's too risky; one could lose all their property or their life, so Abrahm considers it a fool's errand to let Benjamin try and save the girl. All the elders even offer a few silvers to get her out of town. Benjamin meets with smart alec youngsters who want a large dowery. His best friend, Joseph, is a repairman, a kind of Mr. Fixit in town, and being a widower, is eligible as a bachelor, but it never came to mind until he explained the tragedy to his friend that Joseph could be a suitor. So, not too excited about it, and with Benjamin calling in some former huge favors, Joseph agrees to a meeting with the girl, and not expecting much from that. In the next scene, Mary is on the roof of the house, praying under a starlit sky. She sings her prayer of panic and love to her deceased parents and perhaps to God.
<center><table border=1><tr><td>My Father -- with lyrics -improved from prior postings
My Father.mid (16.2 k)</td></tr></table></center>
Old 05-22-2008, 02:51 PM

Default {Joseph and Family-continues}:

{Joseph and Family-continues}:
Benjamin is happy to receive a visitor. Benjamin runs a street bazaar, so he has known Joseph several years, but has never had him visit his home. Joseph’s memory of Mary is the little girl running in the street, often running out to the desert and back for prayers. He feels a bit foolish, but Benjamin assures him that Mary has grown somewhat. Benjamin goes to fetch Mary while Joseph is pacing in the front room.
<center><table border=1><tr><td>Somebody Special Is Here (with lyrics)
Somebody Special.mid (18.8 k)</td></tr></table></center>
Old 05-22-2008, 03:23 PM

Default Mary protests the arrangement

Mary protests the arrangement to her Uncle, although she knows her situation is almost hopeless.
<center><table border=1><tr><td>Uncle Benjamin
Uncle Benjamin.mid (13.2 k)</td></tr></table></center>
Old 05-23-2008, 07:50 AM

Default In the voice of the late great

In the voice of the late great Bill Conrad of Rocky and Bullwinkle fame, let us say, "Meanwhile, our trusted hero is waiting downstairs scared out of his wits like a schoolboy. How could he present himself? Is this a sham or does he mean to be courting this girl. If so, does he have any motives? -- In the midi lyrics provided, there are spoken lines between { braces }.
You may find some of the music disjointed and awkward...Joseph is disjointed and awkward. Observe:
<center><table border=1><tr><td>I'm Not Prepared For Marriage (with lyrics and script lines combined)
Im Not Prepared For Marriage.mid (18.1 k)</td></tr></table></center>
Old 05-24-2008, 12:40 AM

Default The little chat between Joseph

The little chat between Joseph and Mary is going along very well, with Uncle Benjamin listening from the next room. As unprepared as both of them felt coming to this meeting, they are enjoying themselves.
Then, Joseph mentions his seven-year-old son. This does not make Mary happy at all. Hadn’t Benjamin told her he was a widower with a son? Mary is wondering if all Joseph is wanting is a baby-sitter for his tempermental son. No, this will not do, and Mary is about to show Joseph the front door, and in this little tango, Joseph tries to explain himself.
<center><table border=1><tr><td>I Should Have Told You About James
Cry For James.mid (47.9 k)</td></tr></table></center>
Old 05-24-2008, 12:54 AM

Default Lucky for crazy old Joe, neith

Lucky for crazy old Joe, neither he nor Mary can stay in disagreement for very long. Benjamin pops in and wants to celebrate a "bargain" with some wine, but Joseph sees it is time to be going. The couple have agreed to meet again, and so to that extent, Benjamin is seeing a "betroathal" is here, and hope is alive, even if Herod still is a major threat.
Joseph goes home and picks up James from his neighbor and tucks him into bed and reflects on the magic and wonder of his day. He sings "Everything to Me" (Posted above).
There is more than magic in the air and much more to happen. A star seems to burn extra brightly over the roof of Benjamin's house where Mary is praying.
Old 05-24-2008, 01:58 AM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy Michael, I've rea

Howdy Michael,

I've really been enjoying the proceedings here. It gives some "flesh and blood" to a fairly sparse story, as well as some lively music to give it context. I'm saving all these files into a folder, and am adding it to a Playlist, so I can listen and see it all in one shot after I get all of the song files

Keep 'em coming!

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 05-24-2008, 02:34 AM

Default With a bright starlit sky behi

With a bright starlit sky behind her, Mary prays her prayer of gratitude. The song "My Father" is a recurrent melody and is actually performed five times in the show, with different lyrics. Mary sings this time, and the last notes are sung as she sings to "My Father", including all the universe she knows.<center><table border=1><tr><td>My Father(2) - Mary's gratitude
My Father(2).mid (16.3 k)</td></tr></table></center>
Old 05-24-2008, 11:56 AM

Default A star gets brighter and the a

A star gets brighter and the audience sees a form walk onto the rooftop where Mary is praying.
<center><table border=1><tr><td>Gabriel's Fanfare
GabrielFanfare.mid (7.1 k)</td></tr></table></center>
Old 05-24-2008, 12:08 PM
Adrian Allan (adrianallan)

Default I've listened to some of t

I've listened to some of this, and have been impressed by the originality of the melodies and your ability to bring out the mood of the lyrics. I'm sure it would make a very good production -well done.
Old 05-24-2008, 12:56 PM

Default And who to Mary should appear,

And who to Mary should appear, but Gabriel, whose name means “In the Presence of God”. She can neither speak nor move except as directed. She hears Gabriel and sings this duet with him. At last, Gabriel leaves and Mary stares up as a bright light shines down and she says, “My soul magnifies my God!” [ blackout and end of scene]
<center><table border=1><tr><td>Gabriel "In The Presence of God"
In the Presence of God (Gabriel).mid (22.8 k)</td></tr></table></center>
Old 05-24-2008, 07:43 PM

Default Thanks for the kind words and

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement from Adrian, Sherry and others. There is more to come. This is the logo I developed for the scripts. -- Michael --

Old 05-24-2008, 08:39 PM

Default {Joseph and Family - continues

{Joseph and Family - continues}
In a minute all is well and just as quickly all seems lost. Joseph has awakened to find Abrahm the elder has been murdered by sword, and the only ones allowed to carry weapons are Romans and their stooges. Perhaps Herod’s spies reported the community meeting too well. Joseph walks the streets proudly with his son, James. They are going to Benjamin’s house for a happy meeting. As Benjamin opens the door, James has a demon fit and strikes Benjamin. Joseph holds his son until the demon passes away.
It seems Mary came to meet the morning and told Benjamin about her visit from an angel of God and that she was going to have a child. The argument born of that discussion was cruel and unkind, speaking of family shame. More words were said and Mary has gone, vanished. Benjamin tells Joseph he is free of his obligation to the bargain. There is anger in Joseph’s arms but tears in his eyes. He must find Mary. He asks Benjamin to watch James, who tells all he needs no watching, and Joseph goes through the streets of the town trying to find where Mary may have gone. By afternoon he is exhausted in the middle of the town in front of the temple where a Star of David is displayed as well as the Roman double-eagle, as the town has a noble visitor, King Herod the Great. But Joseph cannot hear or see very well because of his grief. He sings:
<center><table border=1><tr><td>Shall I Conceal What Love Has Done? with lyrics
ShallIConcealWhatLoveHasDone.mid (19.4 k)</td></tr></table></center>
Old 05-25-2008, 12:09 PM

Default Of course, you all know the de

Of course, you all know the details of this story much better than I do. We all have our own understanding of it, anyway. I can’t post all the dialogue, so here is the next song, which you might have guessed, anyway.

<center><table border=1><tr><td>The Wedding Dance of Mary and Joseph
The Wedding Dance of Mary and Joseph.mid (8.8 k)</td></tr></table></center>

JOSEPH: { moves nearer downstage }
{ makes some steps and a little kick of his foot on the high notes}
MARY: { locks arms with Joseph, and awkwardly imitate his steps with him }
{ the dance continues to end of music.}
Oh that was wonderful!
ROMAN GUARD: { enters path crosses to path center}
Who lives here?
ZACHARIAS: { walks up and taps guard on shoulder with flute }
ROMAN GUARD:
Listen, old man. This is important business. Step away.
ELISABETH: { entering path from house followed by Benjamin and James}
Listen? I hear very well. Don’t call my husband an old man. He is a priest!
ROMAN GUARD:
Sorry old...sorry Sir, Mam. What kind of unlawful gathering is this?
BENJAMIN:
It is a wedding celebration.
ELISABETH:
It is a sacred religious ceremony which Caesar promises not to bother. But I will be a good hostess. Would you like some wine?
ROMAN GUARD:
Again, I am very sorry. On behalf of Rome I offer Caesar’s blessing on your event. But I am here to make a proclamation.
ELISABETH:
Could you pick another time?
ROMAN GUARD:
Sorry Mam, I cannot.
{In a loud clear voice}
HEAR ALL SUBJECTS OF HIS MOST DIVINE EMPEROR, CAESAR AUGUSTUS. BY WORD OF CAESAR AND SIGNED BY CYRENIUS, IMPERIAL GOVERNOR OF SYRIA. ALL THE WORLD SHALL BE TAXED! ALL JEWS MUST GO EACH INTO THEIR OWN CITY WITHIN ONE YEAR AND DECLARE ALL POSSESSIONS, WIVES, CHILDREN, STOCK AND SILVER. THAT WHICH IS NOT DECLARED IS PROPERTY OF ROME. THAT WHICH IS DECLARED SHALL GIVE THREE PARTS IN EVERY FIFTY OF VALUE IN TAX. GO EARLY TO YOUR CITY AND DECLARE AND PAY. IF YOU DO NOT DECLARE, YOUR LIFE BELONGS TO ROME.
{In a softer, more sympathetic voice}
Again, I’m very sorry. Please enjoy your celebration.
{ exits stage left}
[ BLACKOUT]
Old 05-25-2008, 12:44 PM

Default And so we jump farther into Ac

And so we jump farther into Act II:
Herod has sent spies chasing after visitors from the East who are in search of a new King of Israel. They lost most of the spies, but one has joined ranks with the wisemen. Even great men must escape the weather, and so we join the story:

JOSEPH:
Benjamin sleeps, finally. He has been such a help to us that we could never repay his kindness.
MARY:
He is very ill. More ill than he would say.
JOSEPH:
But we cannot help him. I fear his days with us are few. I know you love him deeply. I love the old boy, too.
{a lone man appears outside the front door and knocks loudly}
Who is knocking at this hour? The work never ends here.
MARY:
We could use the money, Joseph. They may be paying in silver.
JOSEPH:
I think I need to fix myself before someone else’s cartwheel.
{goes and opens door}
Yes? How can I help you? There is a baby in the house, so try not to make too much noise.
SCOUT1:
I come with travelers from the East. We have journeyed very far and must rest inside to be away from the evening mist.
JOSEPH:
I know you. You are one of Herod’s spies. There is nothing here to see. Go away.
SCOUT1:
Please, sir. I work no more for the evil Herod. We have journeyed far on a quest for a new and great king, but our quest was lost. We are only in search of shelter for the night. Jewish law says you should be kind to strangers, does it not?
JOSEPH:
There is more than one of you? I have an old man sleeping in a corner, a wife, child and a newborn sleeping in the backroom, and I may sleep standing up tonight.
SCOUT1:
We just need shelter. We have provisions. We can offer some food.
JOSEPH:
No, you are right. But go to the back door. Herod has spies everywhere. I guess you know that.
SCOUT1:
Thank you sir, and may God bless your house and all your children.
JOSEPH:
Yes. May God bless you too.
{closes door, returns to Mary}
We have visitors. I’m sorry my beloved. But they needed to be out of the damp night air and I offered them the shelter of our feeble roof.
MARY:
It has been a most unusual day. Jesus seems happy for the visit. Such a smile will win more hearts than mine, I believe.
JAMES: { running to Joseph in through the back door, panicked, leaves door open}
Papa! Papa! There are a legion of big men in the back! They have camels and horses and donkeys and big boxes on the backs of their animals and three of the big men are wearing gold and jewels!
JOSEPH:
We are safe, my son. They are visitors passing through the city. We must be generous and kind to our guests.
JAMES:
Wow! You never saw such a sight, Papa!
{scout1 and scout2 have entered from the door left open by James}
SCOUT2:
That’s him! That’s the man who held the baby before the star! And that must be the precious child and his mother,
SCOUT1:
{runs outside briefly as amazement continues. There are sounds of yelling muffled, then he enters again}
May I present great leaders from the East, Balthazar, Melchior and Kaspar, who have come to bear greetings and gifts to this baby.

<center><table border=1><tr><td>March of the Magi
March of the Magi.mid (39.4 k)</td></tr></table></center>
Old 05-25-2008, 07:33 PM

Default The Magi have brought scribes

The Magi have brought scribes who have recorded every second of history for them. Without asking original sources, the scribes have documentary evidence from local shepherdsmen and townsmen. Mary, rightfully so, takes issue with their skewed view of reality through their first century editorial view. Jesus is their great find, and that must be recorded, and moreso, great writing is written, actually dictated, by great men, published great distances by great men to be read through the wisdom of great men and discussed by great men. Of course, this woman was there when everything happened, but the event can only be chronicled by men. Joseph sees the discontent in Mary's face. He cannot read. Mary can read. But he defends her offended honor, even though his head might hurt from bantering great men's logic. So, they listen to the commentary of this simple Jewish woman, and since Joseph said he got a message from Gabriel as well, Joseph is told to relay all their stories to the scribes before they leave. But the scribes and wisemen, wisemen who might be called kings in their own lands, but not in Herod's backyard, are happy with their great find. They are ecstatic.
<center><table border=1><tr><td>Song of the Magi
Song of the Magi.mid (12.6 k)</td></tr></table></center>
Old 05-25-2008, 09:23 PM

Default The mention of two words, "

The mention of two words, "Herod" and "Egypt" triggered the memory of the wise men to recall their spy against Herod has revealed that when the taxes are paid, Herod plans to murder every male child under the age of two. He had heard of prophesies of a Jewish king that was not of his bloodline and planned to exterminate that problem. Thus now, everyone must leave the house at dawn, so not to disturb any of the Romans or Herod's spies. They will travel to Beersheba in the South. The wise men will go East from there toward Persia. Mary and Joseph and their children and Benjamin will travel West toward Egypt.
"My Father" is used 5 times in the drama, but outside of those, it is the ending portion of another piece.
Joseph is awake early and goes to awaken Benjamin. Of all cruel fates, he finds Benjamin is dead. Balthazar says he was deeply moved by the man's generosity and kindness and brings in his own burial cloak. Mary holds Jesus next to her, weaping for Uncle Benjamin. James learns how to pack a body for travel.
JAMES:
Papa! He was my friend, too!
(Joseph motions for James to join, and James takes his position between Balthazar and Joseph. The men and boy now turn facing upstage and carefully roll the sheet, not tightly, but enough that there will not be any significant sway. They stand, holding the rolled sheet firmly and lifting with their legs. They move their right hand grip to their left side as they turn and face stage left, marching slowly out the door opened by Wahini and into the street, away from the audience view
The men and boy and all others exit reverently through the door, leaving only Mary holding Jesus alone in the very empty room. Mary crossed down center. The fire has gone out.)

<center><table border=1><tr><td>Benjamin's Lament
Benjamins Lament.mid (25.5 k)</td></tr></table></center>

{Mary gives Jesus a small kiss and exits stage left to go with the procession}
Old 05-25-2008, 11:39 PM

Default All that remains of music is t

All that remains of music is two more versions of My Father.
This version (4) is where Joseph has taken Jesus with him on an errand that passes through the greatness of the outdoors and he asks Jesus whatever in the world can he do about James. James is disrespectful of Mary, and mouths off at her, "You're not my mother!", and in general treats her like "that woman." Each time, he knows it hurts Mary, and it breaks Joseph's heart to hear him be so cruel. Jesus lets him know this will change, although Joseph may not be on this earth when it does. Joseph accepts this, respecting Jesus now as somewhat of a prophet. The family now consists of Joseph, Mary, James, Jesus, Rachel, Judas and Simon. Before they leave this beautiful spot, Joseph asks Jesus to show him how he prays. This is the song Jesus prays before God and his father, Joseph.
<center><table border=1><tr><td>My Father(4)
My Father(4).mid (23.2 k)</td></tr></table></center>
Old 05-26-2008, 03:46 AM

Default THE END I hope you enjoyed

THE END

I hope you enjoyed my music.
Michael
("\''/").__..''"`-._
`O_ O ) `-. ( ).`-.__.-')
(_Y_.)' ._ ) `._`. ``-..-'
_..`--'_..- / /--'_.' .'
((!).-'' ((!).' (((.-
Old 05-27-2008, 12:46 AM

Default Playlist ability exists in all

Playlist ability exists in all Notation Software
Here is a playlist shown in a VanBasco midi/karaoke player.
Lyrics are embedded in the shown titles. Even songs with no lyrics have a title embedded in the lyric line. The actual order the songs come in the drama are shown in the list. Total music time is around 36 minutes. The total drama (to date) takes over three hours (estimated). Obviously, it would be good to reduce script time if possible.
--Michael Dodson --

Old 06-07-2008, 06:37 PM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy Michael, This is a tr

Howdy Michael,

This is a tremendous amount of work you've shared with us here, and very obviously a Herculean labor of love!

Thanks for including the playlist order here - I've put the copies that I downloaded in order, and have listened to the whole thing. I think my favorite piece is still Herod's Waltz, perhaps because I've never previously heard a musical piece that evokes for me the juxtaposition of his personality traits so well. The lyrics add substantially to the effect The other pieces also reflect their respective emotions and ambience of the characters and action, but Herod's Waltz is something I can hear my boys romping around and singing

I also really like the way that "My Father" is woven through the entire work - it lends a constancy to the whole yet retains a freshness does not become tiresome in any way. Good move!

I also appreciated all the dialog and performance notes that you included in the various posts. I'm planning to copy them over into a document that I can put with the song files, for reference when I'm listening again to the Playlist I have set up for this musical.

I certainly hope you have the satisfaction of seeing and hearing this performed live at some point. In the meantime, please know that many of us are enjoying it now ;)

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 06-08-2008, 04:16 AM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hi Michael, I finally found

Hi Michael,

I finally found the time to listen to all of "Joseph." You did a good job of humanizing the story, both in the lyrics to the songs, and maybe even more so in the dialog. It is obvious that you have a talent for matching word/phrase and music. (I did find one place where a fermata might have helped with emphasis.) It's a talent I don't have, or the quite a few poems, including some of my own, that I'd like to set to music would have been set.

Like Sherry, I enjoyed Herod's Waltz, but at least as much Joseph and Mary's Wedding Waltz, The March of the Magi, and the Magi's Song.

I hope you don't mind that in the Magi's Song, as well as several others, I substituted the soundfont, Real Voice, which is the best I've found for midi imitation of the timbre of the human voice.

I also wrote in the instruments for each staff, which made things easier to follow than "New Track." ;)

Looking forward to hearing how things progress with "Joseph."

all best,
mgj
Old 08-06-2008, 03:57 AM

Default My third cousin's wife is

My third cousin's wife is at home with her piano with limited mobility. She asked for some of my music to see if she could play it. Here is the piano/vocal version for Herod's Waltz:
<center><table border=1><tr><td>Herod's Waltz (piano-vocal) notation
HerodsWaltz.not (106.3 k)</td></tr></table></center><center><table border=1><tr><td>Herod's Waltz (piano-vocal) midi format
HerodsWaltz.mid (11.4 k)</td></tr></table></center>