Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Technical area > Questions or problems

Questions or problems Have a question or problem about something you can't find in the Help/Users Guide? Ask it here!

Old 09-08-2010, 07:13 PM
wyndham

Default Question on staves

Have a question on staves. I want to bring in a midi file that has a piano part and a guitar part. split both instruments for left and right hand, which I have done but here's where I need help for notation. I want to delete the left hand piano(done this) then use the left hand guitar as the piano LH but the notation looks wrong. How do change or transpose the guitar part to be a proper piano LH for notation? I am using Band in a box for the midi file and the song is for a wedding where the pianist is a notation reader and I'm not a musican or pianist but I thought I could help with this project. The song is "This is the Day(wedding song) in g with a arp style for rt hand piano. Thanks for any help Wyndham
Old 09-09-2010, 12:54 PM

Location: Balderson, Ontario, Canada, 100 kms (60 miles) from Ottawa
Default Re: Question on staves

Hi, Wyndham:

Just go to the Staff menu and select Show concert pitches (at the bottom) or type "qscp". The transposed guitar part should show up at concert pitch (piano).

Good luck.

David
Old 09-09-2010, 09:37 PM
wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj View Post
Hi, Wyndham:

Just go to the Staff menu and select Show concert pitches (at the bottom) or type "qscp". The transposed guitar part should show up at concert pitch (piano).

Good luck.

David
Thanks David, I might have asked the wrong question as the results looks to be in a much lower pitch than I expected. I'm going to post the midi file if someone would take a look at this. I'm trying to create a piano score for a wedding from a midi file create by band in a box. the guitar part would ,in my opinion, make a good piano backing for my wife who needs it in G. I hope someone might comment good or bad on this attempt.Wyndham
Attached Files
File Type: mid this is the day g3mid.MID (26.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-10-2010, 01:38 PM

Hi, Wyndham:

Well, the guitar is notated an octave below its actual pitch, so it should look higher after "show concert pitch".

Post the .not file, rather than the midi, and I'll try to offer some suggestions.

David
Old 09-10-2010, 04:58 PM
wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj View Post
Hi, Wyndham:

Well, the guitar is notated an octave below its actual pitch, so it should look higher after "show concert pitch".

Post the .not file, rather than the midi, and I'll try to offer some suggestions.

David
David I transposed the guitar up one octive using cakewalk sonar then brought it into Notation and split the rt & lt hand. I attached this file as well. Does this .NOT file look as correct notation for a pianist playing for a singer singing in G. I would like to merge another part to the LH but i want to get this correct before I dare try making an omlet, too many ways to scramble this Thanks for your continued help Wyndham
Attached Files
File Type: not this is the day g4.not (185.9 KB, 1 views)
Old 09-11-2010, 12:10 PM

Hi, Wyndham:

Seems reasonable enough, although I've attached a file with a few suggestions on re-transcription. Just my own ideas, not the gospel, of course.

I just made some changes up to about bar 18, no further.

My thought was that it's easier to keep that broken triads going in one hand that splitting them between two, so I tried to keep the right hand going more steadily.

Bar 15 shows a possible idea to bring out the upper note melody by having the left hand cross over to pick the high notes out while the right hand keeps the rhythm moving steadily.

Have fun!

David
Attached Files
File Type: not this is the day suggested re-transcription.not (186.0 KB, 1 views)