Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Share Your Music

Share Your Music Share your .not or .mid files of your arrangements or compositions.

Old 09-29-2006, 11:56 PM
Daniel Vallery (danielv)

Default Hey, Here's an unfinish

Hey,

Here's an unfinished work I'm writing for my best friend Allison. I didn't know whether to put it under pop, electronica, or what, so I just decided to put it here. It's radically different from anything I've ever written. Tell me what you think, though I'm guessing it's not the style your used to...

<center><table border=1><tr><td>
Alli's Song.not (85.5 k)</td></tr></table></center>
~Daniel
Old 09-30-2006, 03:49 PM
Fred Winterling (harbor1)

Default Yeah! Daniel, Your friend wil

Yeah! Daniel,
Your friend will definitely be impressed! It is radically different from what I've heard of your works....fun, ain't it? Keep at it. You're off to a great start.
Your staff set-up is intriguing. I would be interested in seeing all the different ideas you come up with in that area. I have been playing around with a lot of different sounds myself and it's really a blast. Working outside of your norm is a ton of fun, and it's challenging. I think you are in for a lot of enjoyment. Nice job!
Cheers,
Fred
Old 10-03-2006, 09:41 PM
Daniel Vallery (danielv)

Default I think this may be the final

I think this may be the final draft... The progress was so much faster than I expected, probably because I put my mind and will into it (I love Allison a lot). Yes Fred, it was a whole lot of fun! Challenging too. Anyways, I'll show it to my family, and if they (and anyone on the forum too) don't criticize it too much, it'll be final. If they do, it's back to revision... here's the rest:
Alli's Song.mid (26.5 k)</td></tr></table></center>
~Daniel
Old 10-04-2006, 02:28 AM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy Daniel, Very cool - i

Howdy Daniel,

Very cool - it reminded me a lot of Mannheim Steamroller, and that's a compliment I noticed you not only had a lot going on with the instrumentation, but also with the stereo placement of sounds and such.

I think Alli should be pretty happy with it - the song itself sounds like you were pretty happy composing it Great job!

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 10-04-2006, 07:56 AM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hi Daniel, Yes, it certainl

Hi Daniel,

Yes, it certainly does seem radically different from anything you've ever posted, at least in its overall sound. But it is much like your other pieces in its formal soundness. I haven't been able to figure out why you change key signature a couple of times since it doesn't seem to affect the piece, but there is probably a reason that just eludes me. It is an interesting melody. Will it have lyrics, or is it to remain instrumental? Has Ali heard it, and what was her reaction? I don't think I'd revise unless she says "I wish it had more ..." or something.

all best,
mgj
Old 10-04-2006, 03:28 PM
Daniel Vallery (danielv)

Default Thank you both. The truth is,

Thank you both. The truth is, I haven't worried much about key changes, staff sound changes, etc... just trying to get it totally done and listenable, not the score. Whenever I need to I'll just go back and edit the score. No Alli hasn't heard it yet, and it will not have any lyrics... I wish it could but, first, personally I can't imagine it with lyrics, and second, I'm horrible at writing lyrics, and don't have much experience there. Anyways, I showed my older sister the midi, and told her to criticize away. She hesitated then said the part with the drawn out chords with the drawn out vibes got a little too drawn out, slightly boring, something like that... I listened to the part again and agreed. I haven't revised it yet, but will very soon.

~Daniel
Old 10-04-2006, 09:21 PM

Default Hi Daniel, Nice job! I don&

Hi Daniel,

Nice job! I don't think the the section with the drawn out chords and vibes is boring. I goes back quickly enough. Another 12 bars would be too much, but I think it's fine like it is. The key signature change at measure #26 is probably just a blip, maybe caused while editing that measure or something. That happens to me sometimes. It is obviously unintentional. When you double click on the natural sign, the dialog box still shows it is in G Major and not C. Alison should be happy. I'll bet you 10 cents she bakes you a pie! Let us know her reaction.
Best,
Fred
Old 10-04-2006, 09:28 PM
Daniel Vallery (danielv)

Default Here's the final version &

Here's the final version (I hope). Yes, I've decided to finalize it, since if I keep asking people what's wrong with it, I would be revising it forever since you can't please everybody. I edited some, you'll probably notice where. Anyway, I hope to get a chance to show it to Allison some time soon, hopefully today.
Alli's Song.mid (27.3 k)</td></tr></table></center>
~Daniel
Old 10-05-2006, 06:56 AM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hi Daniel, I agree with Fre

Hi Daniel,

I agree with Fred. The middle section is not boring, at all. It provides contrast and creates anticipation.

I guess if you can't please everybody, the question is: whom do you try to please. Alli in this case, it appears. And if you please her, I suspect you will be pleased, too.

all best,
mgj
Old 10-09-2006, 03:15 PM
Daniel Vallery (danielv)

Default Well, she told me she loved it

Well, she told me she loved it... but I made a mistake, I let her listen to it without me being there, so I didn't get to catch her initial reaction... a mistake I won't make again. It's not so bad, but that's what I would have preferred.
~Daniel
Old 10-09-2006, 03:29 PM

Default Yo, Daniel You can believe

Yo, Daniel

You can believe her when she tells you she love it. However, you should be beaten with a wet noodle for not being there!
Cheers,
Fred
Old 10-31-2006, 10:03 PM
Daniel Vallery (danielv)

Default She asked me to write her anot

She asked me to write her another one, this time with piano (since she knows that I play piano.) Here's the half finished song, also techno. I think it's a whole lot better than the first, since not only was the first my first experience, but I also copied (borrowed?) a drum line from mididrumfiles.com for this second one. Also, I've decided to totally revise the first "Alli's Song", I'm very dissatisfied with it (especially when I compare with this song), but I'm not in a hurry with that. Anyways, here's the second one:
techno^2.not (272.8 k)</td></tr></table></center>
~Big D (my nickname, I'll sign off as that from now on)
Old 11-01-2006, 06:49 PM

Default Yo, Big D, This is sensationa

Yo, Big D,
This is sensational!!! They say "behind every successful man, is a woman". You'd better be careful. Alli could turn you into a super star if she keeps asking you to do more songs for her.
Seriously, you should consider uploading this song, when it is finished, to some of the sites that run contests for original compositions. These are the kinds of songs that WIN!
Don't be concerned about "borrowing" drum parts from mididrumfiles.com. That is what they are for. I've used them several times. They are also easy to add to and learn from. Even though I still borrow drum loops, I am now writing a lot of my own. That's a great web site and their newsletters are very informative. Keep up the good work!
Fred
Old 11-09-2006, 09:29 AM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hi Daniel, So far so good.

Hi Daniel,

So far so good. Where do you go with it from here? Is this going to be instrumental, or are there words to be added? I'll bet you're anxious to see how she reacts when she hears this one.

all best,
mgj