Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Technical area > Questions or problems

Questions or problems Have a question or problem about something you can't find in the Help/Users Guide? Ask it here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-03-2011, 12:47 AM
Active User

Arrow Different timed notes with no ties

Hello!

I've come across a problem that actually is becoming more common with this program for me as I transcribe more complex pieces of music.

Example: In the treble clef at the first beat I have one regular quarter note played at the same time as 2 dotted quarter notes in 12/8 time. The dotted quarter notes end up getting split and tied into the measure notation-wise because they are grouped with a regular quarter note. The ties for the dotted quarter notes seem to be 'un-collapsible'. The sound it produces is fine. I just want it 'to look' the way it is supposed to though. Is there a way to have these two differently timed notes played together and notation wise be separate with no ties...hence each being their own entity????
I use notation to transcribe difficult music from regular sheets for me on the piano and then use the notation composer music file to learn the song from. This is great usually because I can slow down the tempo to learn difficult rhythms, but when notes are tied together it makes it 'look messy' and thus more complicated to read. I have tried putting the dotted quarter notes on a separate staff from the regular quarter note and then tried to merge the two staffs together. Sometimes this works for my problem and sometimes it does not. In my dilemma right now this fix does not work. The stave's get merged and the dotted quarter notes get ignored and are displayed as regular quarter notes along with the original quarter note they were merged with.

Is there a way to fix this??? I don't want ties.

Thanks in advance.