Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Share news about music

Share news about music Do you have some news about music that you'd like to share with others? Here's the place.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-07-2002, 05:08 AM
Steve K

Default I hope you will be as excited

I hope you will be as excited as I am about this. I can't even believe what I just did with this wonderful program!

I had an inspiration to arrange the beautiful Faure Pavanne as a piece featuring the bassoon, by taking the melodies from flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon, and viola and playing them all on the bassoon. First I used MidiNotate to print those five parts on one score, naturally changing clefs and octaves to suit the bassoon. Next I printed this. Then I used a highlighter on the printout to mark what I was going to play from each part.

I envisioned a very complex process, wherein I would record a separate wave file for each part, put them back together with n-track, and silence each part where I was playing the bassoon. Then I realized I could use a midi sequencer to silence them selectively and create a new midi. Except I don't have a midi sequencer. I am waiting for MidiComposer.

But then I discovered I could do it all with MidiNotate, by just deleting from each line the notes I was going to play! It was easy, since these were just the notes I had highlighted from my MidiNotate printout. I brought the same parts up on the screen again, and breezed right through. It only took about half an hour, and I was ready with a very complex "Midi Minus One" version of this piece.

Quite easy to use Acoustica (also great software) make a wav file recording of MidiNotate's "performance," and I'm all set. Burn a CD any time to make it very portable. And, best of all, it's really beautiful! This is so satisfying. Thanks again, Mark!