Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Technical area > Questions or problems
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search New Posts

Questions or problems Have a question or problem about something you can't find in the Help/Users Guide? Ask it here!

Old 02-05-2009, 01:11 PM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy Lawrence, We're s

Howdy Lawrence,

We're still working on it

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 02-09-2009, 07:39 PM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy Lawrence, I'm gla

Howdy Lawrence,

I'm glad that you've found a reasonable workaround by using MidiPlayer II's batch processing.

The problem seems to lie (as David has so graciously dug into and pointed out) in the way the Master track is set up as opposed to "standard" MIDI track/channel assignments. Musician deals with "standard" MIDI format files, and is not really set up to deal with the special circumstances of these other file formats. Musician doesn't have the capability to edit MIDI data, and so the workaround that you've found is probably your best answer at this point. We do have a related task in our database (706) that will probably fix this problem as well. It's scheduled for release later this year.

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 02-10-2009, 05:15 AM
Lawrence (lak)

Default Hi Sherry: I could understa

Hi Sherry:

I could understand that midi like this one might be out of the norm. But what I could not understand was why my installation has been permanently changed so that all other "standard" midis could not be handled properly as well. What I was hoping was to revert back to a freshly installed state when everything worked as it would.

Mark said that mididev.cfg is the only one place where my device info is stored. But deleting it and re-configuring it did not help. So there must be some other files or registries not erased by "UNINSTALL" which affected the drum bank assignment; resulting in persistent problem despite uninstall->re-install.

The frustrating thing was that everything worked so perfectly before, and now I could not get it back to that state. My priority was not those "problem" midi, but all the other "standard" midis that I am having problem without pre-processing with MidiPlayer first.

What I need is list of files/registries which needs to be manually erased after standard "UNINSTALL" to achieve totally clean uninstall; and I hope it would then allow me to revert back to a freshly installed state.

Thanks!

Lawrence
Old 02-10-2009, 02:04 PM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy Lawrence, Mark is cor

Howdy Lawrence,

Mark is correct that the only place that device information is stored and used by our software is the MidiDev.cfg (he would know - he's our chief developer ).

Is it possible that the change may have occurred to some stored information in the Yamaha or routing software on your computer? I know that resetting some devices to "factory preset" may help, especially where Sys Ex commands have been involved, as in this case.

It might be worth asking on one of the Yamaha forums (or the developer who created MidiPlayer II) for any experience and/or help here.

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 02-10-2009, 02:08 PM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default p.s. I should have added that

p.s. I should have added that if such a change occurred to the device, it certainly could have been caused by Musician's faulty handling of the Master track "over ride" data for the individual tracks. This specific handling of Sys Ex and other routing events is what we're working to improve.

For now though, resetting the device is my best recommendation.

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 02-10-2009, 03:18 PM
Lawrence (lak)

Default Hi Sherry: > Is it poss

Hi Sherry:

> Is it possible that the change may have occurred to some stored
> information in the Yamaha or routing software on your computer?
> I know that resetting some devices to "factory preset" may help,
> especially where Sys Ex commands have been involved, as in this case.

I have already tried the resetting routine, even though I am fairly positive that the keyboard was not the problem - why?

- No other software has the same problem. All of them load all the midis and play them with problem voices and drum sound.

- You can see clearly from the Staff setup that Musician has assigned Channel 10 drum sound to the wrong bank assignment, and it should not be surprising that the sound would come out wrong.

- When the midi has been pre-converted to XG lite by MidiPlayer, Musician has no problem playing the file.

So the main issue here seemed to be how Musician handled the GM to XG lite conversion; something was not dealt with correctly and it was unable to reassign the GM's bank 0 in channel 10 to XG lite's bank 127. But I could not explain why this was not a problem initially, and what caused the change in Musician setup.

Lawrence
Old 02-10-2009, 11:23 PM
Lawrence (lak)

Default Edit: > - No other softwa

Edit:
> - No other software has the same problem. All of them load all the
> midis and play them with problem voices and drum sound.

Should be:
- No other software has the same problem. All of them load all the midis and play them with proper voices and drum sound.