Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Technical area > Questions or problems
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search New Posts

Questions or problems Have a question or problem about something you can't find in the Help/Users Guide? Ask it here!

Old 05-28-2011, 10:17 AM
sicklizard

Default Note adding issue

I seem to have a problem when I try to add a note in an existing score (I'm actually just trying to remove a dot from a half note and change a quarter note to a half note in the same bar). The original bar looks like this
nmthree.jpg
but when I try to add the note I get this!!
nmone.jpg

I'm very new to this software and to music notation in general so sorry if this is a very basic question but it is incredibly frustrating when everything else about this program is very easy to understand.

Thanks
Ben
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nmtwo.jpg (2.2 KB, 9 views)
Old 05-28-2011, 10:54 AM
Active User

Default Re: Note adding issue

Hiya,

From what I can see, the quarter note you are trying to change to a half note is in the wrong place to give you the end result you're looking for.

Try .....

Start with “dotted half note & quarter note”
Change the dotted half note to half note, so you then have “half note, quarter rest, quarter note”
Then you have 2 options
- Remove the quarter note and add a new half note in the right place
or
- Move the quarter note left - in Select mode, select the note and press “shift and left cursor” - until you have “half note, quarter note, quarter rest” then change the quarter note to a half note.

:-)
Old 05-28-2011, 11:39 AM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)

Hi,

When you added the extra note, it does get added to the score, rather than replacing anything (just think how confusing that could get, if when you put in a new note, it replaced what is already there!)

The easiest way to get what you want (assuming I understand the end result you're aiming for) is:

1. Click on the dotted half note to select it, then click on the "No ." (no "dot") button in the Notes tool palette. This removes the dot from the half note.

2. Now you also have a third option, in addition to the two that Jellyall suggested, for changing the quarter note to a half note and positioning it correctly You can click on the quarter note to select it, then hold down the "A" key on your keyboard (for "A"ttack), and press the Left Arrow key to move the attack of the note (when it first sounds) to the left. The effect is to increase the duration of the note while moving it's starting point (to the left), because the end of the note remains anchored. Press the left arrow key til the note gets "stretched out" enough to be a half note.*

Have fun
Sherry

*Similarly, if you have a note that "attacks" (begins) in the right place, but you want to change it's duration, you can select it and hold the "D" key (for "D"uration), and press either the Left or Right arrow key to shorten (L) or increase (R) the duration (length) of the note while keeping the attack (front end) anchored.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:40 PM
Active User

I learnt something new today!
Thanks for that Sherry
Old 05-29-2011, 02:57 AM
sicklizard

Thankyou!!
Ben