Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Share Your Music
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search New Posts

Share Your Music Share your .not or .mid files of your arrangements or compositions.

Old 02-20-2007, 02:48 PM
Daniel Vallery (danielv)

Default Hey everybody, I just finished

Hey everybody, I just finished working on a piano piece called "Fast and Furious". No, it's not named after any movie or show, it's just that name matches with the music. Because the glissando markings can't be sounded, don't listen to the .not file, instead just follow along while listening to the midi file. The .not file is best viewed in page view. As you've noticed, I did post 2 .not's. I'll talk about that below. The second .not is a little prettier because the first one has messed up slur marks. Follow along with the second.
<center><table border=1><tr><td>
Fast and Furious.not (312.4 k)</td></tr></table></center>
Fast and Furious2.not (312.4 k)</td></tr></table></center>
fast and furious.mid (34.7 k)</td></tr></table></center>
Mark, writing this song has shown me a couple of bugs. On the first .not, you'll notice that in the Db major section, in the right hand there are a lot of high notes with slur marks at the wrong height. That's because after I added an 8va mark and save the file, when I open it again it takes away the mark and it's effect, leaving an 8 which can't be deleted. In the first .not, there should be 2 8's above the quintuplet in measure 80, while the second .not has just one 8. (The second one has fixed slurs, for prettiness sake.) I think it's just a corrupted file, since you can see that 8va markings work elsewhere.

Another thing, when adding lines such as a glissando or portamento, when you specify whether you want above, below, or between staves, the line will only go horizontally. Only when NOT specified will the line go diagonally (which is desired for glissando). This bug (I hope it's a bug) works on any file.

Well everyone, I hope you really enjoy this piece. My younger brother calls the Db major section "Mr. Rogers" everytime he hears it. Go figure. This piece is really fun to play on piano, and I hope to play it in a talent show a few weeks from now. Please, tell me what you think of it.
~Big D
Old 02-20-2007, 05:33 PM
Daniel Vallery (danielv)

Default Ok, here's the midi with r

Ok, here's the midi with repeat written out (oops).
fast and furious.mid (36.8 k)</td></tr></table></center>
In addition to what I said Mark, I'm using version 2.02.

~Big D
Old 02-20-2007, 06:41 PM
Fred Winterling (harbor1)

Default Hey Big D, That's hot!!

Hey Big D,

That's hot!! You're going to play it in a talent show soon? Wow!
Where will the show be? If you are anywhere close, I would come to see you play. Plus I would applaud loudly or yell or push a button or whatever it takes to vote for you to win. Not that you would need me, cuz you'll probably win it anyway. Let us know how you do? Great piece! What a future you have in store for yourself! Keep it up.

Cheers,
Fred
Old 02-20-2007, 06:51 PM

Default Hi again Big D, P.S. quote

Hi again Big D,

P.S.
quote: "Because the glissando markings can't be sounded, don't listen to the .not file, instead just follow along while listening to the midi file."

Maybe they can be sounded. Try playing around with editing the "as performed" attacks in each note in the gliss, moving the attack to the right one click at a time (1st note=no change, 2nd note=one click, 3rd note=2 clicks, 4th note=3 clicks, etc.)
Fred
Old 02-20-2007, 06:58 PM

Default Oops, Hi BIg D, Sorry 'bo

Oops, Hi BIg D,
Sorry 'bout that. That won't work unless you actually write out the notes in the gliss. You could however just start a new song and play the gliss on your keyboard a half dozen times or so til you get one that fits the timing. Then you could copy and paste it into your main file.
Fred
Old 02-20-2007, 08:39 PM
Daniel Vallery (danielv)

Default Thanks for feedback Fred! Act

Thanks for feedback Fred! Actually, this talent show won't be competitive. It's being held at our church, and only people who go there will be entering. It's more for entertainment's sake. If your coming around Houston, Texas anytime soon... I'll give you details...

About the glissando, I think that if you could hide notes as easily as rests, then that problem would be solved... (hint hint Mark )
~Big D
Old 02-20-2007, 08:57 PM

Default Hi Big D, quote: About the

Hi Big D,

quote: About the glissando, I think that if you could hide notes as easily as rests, then that problem would be solved... (hint hint Mark )

I think you can. Use the "eyeglasses" to show or hide ornaments. I'm not sure if it works for a gliss, but it probably does. I don't know all the keyboard shorcuts, but I usually access it by selecting the trill and it shows up there.

Cheers,
Fred
Old 02-21-2007, 06:30 AM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hi Daniel, The piece lives

Hi Daniel,

The piece lives up to its title. Explosive with seething intervals. It is, I think, a well-controlled explosion, showing a nice handling of musical ideas.

As to the problems: I had the 8va problem at the other end. That is, the 8vb when extended over a couple of pages acted just as your 8va did, and left the same traces. That "8" and the bracket, by the way, can be deleted, but it took me a lot of tries, adding another 8vb over it, selecting and deleting. I finally, since I needed to print the file to put into the mail, just forgot about the 8vb and left all the ledger lines. But the problem is on the to-do list.

A glissando is just a line that you can draw, intended as a performance direction, not an ornament, as far as I can tell from the manual (and experimenting). The best way to do one, I've found, is to enter the notes (32nd or 64th), then adjust the tempo (usually up) for the beats occupied by the notes. It does not look very pretty, of course, if the glissando involves a lot of the keyboard.

Something on the to-do list may help here. Cue notes are probably quite far down on that list, but they would help for a short glissando. If such notes are made silent by entering a zero note velocity, they could also be used as sounding cadenza and glissando notes. I guess, though, where you wanted just the wavy line while still having the notes sound, the glissando would have to be made an ornament or, as you suggested, the notes themselves be hidable.

Good luck with your performance!

all best,
mgj