Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Share Your Music

Share Your Music Share your .not or .mid files of your arrangements or compositions.

Old 07-24-2006, 06:42 PM
Fred Winterling (harbor1)

Default Hi All, I have been trying to

Hi All,
I have been trying to duplicate the sound of my old rock&roll band (circa 1960-1963) and have finally come sorta close (the real sax player was much better). I think it needs Sherry's growling sax font. The instrumentation is exact. I took the liberty of using a 2nd tenor sax because the lead singer doubled on sax and he would pick it up in instances such as this. This is not an original composition. I am not even sure if it doesn't contain parts of another r&r song, but I remember playing it. My long term memory is good, but not perfect. I gave it this title because I remember the band vocally echoing the sax in one part with the phrase (hail, hail rock & roll). I think several sections were probably guitar solos, but it took me long enough to do just a couple measures of guitar, so I made it practically all sax. It was fun. Maybe some of you may remember the piece and can tell me how close I came.
Fred <center><table border=1><tr><td>Old Rock &amp; Roll
Hail (86.1 k)</td></tr></table></center>
Old 07-25-2006, 08:58 AM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hi Fred, I didn't recog

Hi Fred,

I didn't recognize the tune, but if you've nearly caught what your band sounded like, it sure would be great to hear you guys. Or, to have heard, I guess would be more compatible with the current time. During those years, I spent a lot of time in places that had bands, especially on weekends, but I can't recall one to match yours. I certainly never came across one with trumpet and trombone. Mostly they had a couple of guitars, drums, a keyboard, and a lead vocalist, the guitars, keyboard and drums adding a chorus.

Yours is RR played as a jazz band might play it. As I said, sure wish you guys had played where I was.

I ran across a sax soundfont, called Roland Super Tenor. It is breathy, even gritty, and has a lot of volume. If it sounds like one you might be interested in, I'll look up the URL.

all best,
mgj
Old 07-25-2006, 02:08 PM

Default Hi MG, Yeah, the band was sup

Hi MG,
Yeah, the band was superb. We were far and away the best band in Baltimore. The old crowd still remembers after all those years. We had 4 singers, two of which were lead singers from other bands that joined us. We commanded a good price because we played the best clubs and packed them every nite. We were a six night band. All of the musicians were classically trained and accomplished jazz musicians. The first band was just sax, guitar, bass, drums and 1 lead singer. By 1960, the band was hot enough to add the trumpet and trombone players. They went to Vegas when the band broke up around 1978, and still live and play there today. I see my old guitar player often. Whenever I am back in Baltimore, we play golf together. In those days, most of the musicians in the bands around town were all excellent musicians. They still have a “Battle of the Saxes” night every year and there are dozens who still compete with each other. Sam Butara comes to town every year for that occasion. He was the sax player for Louis Prima and Keely Smith. Their band was called “The Witnesses”. I don’t even go anymore because it hurts too bad not to be able to be part of it. One of the old bands from that era are still together and play a Sunday afternoon jam session at one of the old clubs. They still draw the old crowd. I sold my saxophone to one of those guys ten years ago. It was a King Super 20 with a sterling silver bell. What a great sounding horn! At least the horn is still playing.

BTW, I have the Roland Super Tenor sound font but can't use it with Composer. Since my computer blew up and I got a new one, for some reason, Synthfont and Audacity no longer work properly on it. I've downloaded both programs half a dozen times each and they no longer work . Synthfont just won't accept the GM Wavetable Synth any more. Some of the drum notes sound like doorbells, and the sound is terrible. Wish I could figure that out!
Cheers,
Fred
Old 07-26-2006, 09:48 AM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hi Fred, Some great memorie

Hi Fred,

Some great memories. It's good you still keep in touch. Golf? What is it about golf and music? Good you still play, too. I gave my clubs to my son a few years ago. He lives near a hilly, rural course I used to play almost daily--after a considerable drive--and my back doesn't like me swinging a club (though I still take out a beat old driver I have in the tool shed, on occaions. Ouch.)

That's a real bummer about your new computer. Sounds like maybe something with the setup--not Composer, necessarily, but the computer itself. What do you see when you open control panel, then click on sounds and audio? What are the choices in the default midi pull down menu? As far as some doorbells instead of drums, I wonder if you maybe need another preset. There is quite a difference in octaves 3 and 4 between 0 (1 in Composer) and 48 (49 in Composer). What sound system does your computer have? Sure hope the problem can be rectified.

all best,
mgj

Old 07-26-2006, 08:58 PM

Default Hi MG, Composer works perfect

Hi MG,
Composer works perfectly for both recording and playback, as well as Windows Media Player, Itunes, and Real Player. Audacity and Synthfont used to work great until I had to fully recover the operating system. Audacit will play fine, but there is a loud thumping noise when trying to record (plus it won't record at all) Synthfont does not like my GS Wavetable Synth. It will play with Synthfont's presets, but that sound is terrible. That also used to be good before the crash. All of my settings in Sounds and Audio seem correct and the system tells me everything is working with no problems. I just don't get it. Fortunately, I can convert midi to MP3 in Itunes. MY sound syst. is Realtek AC97 Audio.
Golf? I never hit a golf ball until 5 years ago at age 63. Believe it or not, I can drive the ball 220-240 yards down the middle of the fairway about 80% of the time. But it all ends there. I can turn possible birdie and eagle shots into double bogies faster than you can say ##%&amp;$# (trans. "aw shucks")
I broke 100 my first season and broke 90 the second. Since then I have trouble breaking 100 again. I took six months of lessons, 3 days a week, before I even looked at a golf course the first time, but haven't had a lesson since. Maybe that's my problem!
CYa,
Fred
Old 07-27-2006, 07:50 AM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hi Fred, It seems there'

Hi Fred,

It seems there's a rash of new computers on which old standbys don't work like they used to. At least I'm having some of the same problems. I use Acoustica, which is similar to Audacity, and it won't record, either. In fact I have only front mike, rear mike and modem as recording choices now; 'what you hear' is gone, as is midi synth.

Synthfont works, but I get drop-outs when I play to a file to make a .wav or .mp3 recording. You can set up what you want it's default soundfont bank to be: file menu/select default soundfont. If you're saying you want the Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth, you can make that the default...if you can find it. It's probably in Windows/System32. It sounds so bad on my machine (strings that sometimes sound a lot like winds) that I avoid it, though the drum kit is pretty good.

I started with golf at 35, and maybe I should have waited until 63. I broke 90 without much trouble and in fact got right down around par once or twice. That was enough to keep me thinking every time I went out that I might break par, but usually I wound up somewhere between 80 and 110. I could find a way to screw up any hole. If all was looking good when I got to the green, I had no trouble 2 putting from 3 feet. There are quite a number of courses that have heard my variations on ##(*!@##$%#@@#%.

I shouldn't go work on my trumpet concerto after remembering how easily I could make a mess of a round of golf, but . . .

best,
mgj

Old 07-27-2006, 09:01 PM

Default Hi MG, Right, the GS Wavetabl

Hi MG,
Right, the GS Wavetable Synth is in Windows Syst.32' driver file name is gm.dls. I have that set as the default, but I sometimes use Synthfonts presets so they are both there to go back and forth.

I really like the trumpet concerto. I will definitely watch the progress as you upload it. I bet if Mark paid us minimum wage for all the hours we spend with the software, we would be rolling in dough by Friday. I wouldn't mind having lunch with Donald Trump!

Cya,
Fred
Old 07-28-2006, 06:26 AM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hi Fred, I had the extensio

Hi Fred,

I had the extension wrong--no wonder I couldn't find it. I made a copy of it and will use that to see if I can find some way to edit it. I have had it open in Soundfont Bank Manager.

Do you think Donald Trump is rich enough to pay minimum wage for the hours we spend with this software? Maybe you can find out at your lunch ;)

all best,
mgj
Old 08-10-2006, 09:09 PM

Default Hi All, Omigosh! I was going

Hi All,
Omigosh! I was going through some old picture albums and came across a few pictures of my old bands. There is one picture in particular that is of the exact band that I referred to for "Hail, Hail Rock &amp; Roll". I am providing a link to my pictures sight on Yahoo.com.
It is in the Album "Fred's bands 1955-1965". It is the picture titled "The Deltas_1962". It is a public sight, so it also contains another album of my wife's early paintings. The band pictures are digital camera photos of the old photos ( at least the ones that were not severely damaged ) so there are some flash spots that could not be helped. When I get the time, I may try to do a little better with the lighting. You are welcome to view the photos. Here is the link:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/icompo...zon.net/photos

Cheers,
Fred
Old 08-10-2006, 09:14 PM

Default Sorry, the link did not materi

Sorry, the link did not materialize. I'll try again. If it doesn't show up as a link, just copy and paste it into your browser.
Fred

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/icompose@verizon.net/photos

Old 08-10-2006, 09:28 PM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy Fred, Thanks for shar

Howdy Fred,

Thanks for sharing the pix - you guys look like you're having way too much fun

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 08-10-2006, 10:28 PM

Default Hi Sherry, Your welcome! We d

Hi Sherry,
Your welcome! We did have way too much fun. My son saw those pictures this morning and he said he couldn't believe how much we looked alike at that age. His son looks just like us. We could pass as twin brothers if the same. I told him he really has a lot to look forward to. Now he knows how ugly he's going to get.
Cya,
Fred
Old 08-11-2006, 11:24 AM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hi Fred, Ah Ha! Now I see

Hi Fred,

Ah Ha! Now I see why the band was so pouplar. The music? Naw, it was those good-looking instrumentalists with the perfect duck tails. ;)

Enjoyed the pics.

I also enjoyed the first-rate paintings.

all best,
mgj
Old 08-11-2006, 03:38 PM

Default Hi MG, How could you see the

Hi MG,
How could you see the duck tails?. Yea, they were there!
Cya,
Fred
Old 08-12-2006, 07:41 AM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hi Fred, Can almost see the

Hi Fred,

Can almost see them in the Escapades 59 pic. But really don't need to, since my hair during those years looked the same.

mgj