Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Using Notation Software products with other (third party) products

Using Notation Software products with other (third party) products Find out from others, or share your experience, about integrating Notation Software products with sound libraries, audio processing software, and other hardware and software products.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:37 PM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy folks, I just found o

Howdy folks,

I just found out a trick that may help if you've been having problems with Asio4All not bringing down the latency of your devices and libraries like you think it should.

Apparently the Microsoft GS Wavetable interferes with Asio4All and needs to be disabled in order for Asio4All to work properly in some (maybe all?) configurations. To disable the GS Wavetable (or any device that you have), you can do the following:

1. Open Musician or Composer

2. In the menu bar, select "Setup"

3. Click on "MIDI Devices...Configuration"

4. In the list, find the GS Wavetable _Internal Port_ (not the "Software Synth" device - that should be just below the "Internal Port" entry)

5. _Right_ click on the GS Wavetable "Internal Port", and select "Properties."

6. Click the box to UNcheck it that says "Open for MIDI output."

7. Click "Ok" to finish.

Enjoy!
Sherry
Old 01-29-2010, 10:50 PM
bxgilman

Default Re: Using ASIO4ALL to bring down latency

I’m using an AKAI EWI-USB that work with Aria by Garritan. When using windows the latency problem is bad which is why I have to use asio4all. Aria will recognize it as an audio device. I could not find anywhere were Notation can recognize the ASIO device. Obviously I tried Sherry’s suggestion but it did not work for me. And to use the EWI without and ASIO driver is close to impossible because of the latency.

Help!!!
Old 01-29-2010, 11:16 PM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)
Lightbulb Setting up LoopBe virtual MIDI cables and Garritan Aria player

Hi,

In order to use the Aria player with Composer, I use virtual MIDI cables called "LoopBe" (single set available free at http://www.nerds.de/en/loopbe1.html) I tried using MidiYoke, but they didn't work on my machine (64 bit, Win 7). I know a lot of folks here use MidiYoke successfully though, so if you want more routing flexibility, you may want to try that first (available free here) In that case, choose a MidiYoke X (eg. 1, 2, etc.) that you'll use in Aria and thus as the MIDI Playback device in Composer.

The steps to do this and have it all work together:

1. Download and install LoopBe1 from the link above.

2. Run Aria, and then in Tools/Preferences,
a. UNSelect your MIDI instrument input, and SELECT LoopBe Internal MIDI(in). This is so the MIDI signal will go in through Composer and thence to Aria.

b. Audio Device - select the ASIO stuff that you want to use, sample rate, and buffer size.

c. Click "Ok."
3. Now open Composer (don't open Composer before opening Aria, or it will Cause Problems).

4. Go through the steps I listed previously for disabling the GS Wavetable (it interferes with ASIO, and causes latency issues.)

5. If you play to use the Aria as your main playback device, then also in the MIDI Device Configuration, right-click on "LoopBe", and select "Set as default playback device."

5. Load your instruments in Aria, make sure the channel assignments match the channel assignments in Composer (using Setup/Staff Setup makes it easy to see them all at once).

6. Enjoy
Composer will automatically detect the MIDI input from your keyboard, so you shouldn't have to configure that, and you will already have configured the MIDI output device in (4) above. Alternatively, you can set the playback device for each staff in Staff/Setup.
If you have any problems, just ask - I'm sure someone here will hop in with answers

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 04-05-2012, 03:09 PM
Product Manager

Hi friends,

Since we get inquiries like "I"m trying to record, but it's going later than what I think it should" a fair bit, I'm posting the following reply here in this thread as well since it's relevant.

-----------
There is a free/donation MIDI device called SynthFont that you can use and which can allow for nearly zero latency for both playback and recording. To do this on the cheap, you'll need the following:

1. SynthFont, which can be downloaded from www.synthfont.com
2. ASIO4ALL, which can be downloaded from www.asio4all.com
3. A "virtual" MIDI cable, which is used to connect Composer to SynthFont. A pretty good one that I can recommend is LoopBe, which can be downloaded from http://www.nerds.de/en/download.html

The short story is:

1. Install the LoopBe.
2. Install Asio4All.
3. Install SynthFont.
4. Open Composer, and set the LoopBe (which may show up as "Internal MIDI") as the Default MIDI Playback Device - this is in Setup/MIDI Devices Configuration.
5. While in MIDI Devices Configuration, go to Port/Select Ports, and UNCHECK the GS Wavetable. The GS Wavetable interferes with ASIO, and ruins the latency. Also UNCHECK the "Internal MIDI" as an Input device - if it's on as both an Input and Output, it will cause a feedback loop that will cause the cable to "mute" itself, and you won't get any sound. Click "Ok" to save.
6. Run SynthFont, and in "Setup and Options" (button on the toolbar), click the IO Ports tab. Select (a) the "Internal MIDI" for the MIDI input port, (b) Check the "Use ASIO" in the lower part of the dialog, and select "ASIO4ALL" in the drop list. Click "Ok" to save.
7. On SynthFont's toolbar, click the "Turn MIDI Input ON" button.

After this, you can use SynthFont as the MIDI playback device while recording, and you should have zero latency - in other words, no lags.
We have more info on soundfonts as well, and you can get some surprisingly good sounding ones. Check out the User Forum and search for "soundfonts" for more info there. You can also see some videos of the setup for the MIDI virtual cables and SynthFont in the Tutorial Video section on the User Forum (www.notation.com/Forum.htm) if you'd like to see it done before trying it yourself.
-------------------

Enjoy!
Sherry
Old 12-30-2014, 06:58 PM

I’m using an AKAI EWI-USB that work with Aria by Garritan. When using windows the latency problem is bad which is why I have to use asio4all. Aria will recognize it as an audio device. I could not find anywhere were Notation can recognize the ASIO device. Obviously I tried Sherry’s suggestion but it did not work for me. And to use the EWI without and ASIO driver is close to impossible because of the latency.

Help!!!

Last edited by arslan1; 01-06-2016 at 06:05 AM.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:10 PM
Product Manager

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by arslan1 View Post
There will be no ASIO visible in Composer. What you will want to do, though, is:
  • turn off the GS Wavetable - Setup -> MIDI Device Configuration -> Port -> Select Ports, and UNcheck the box beside it.
  • if you have not already, install LoopBe1 (free from nerds.de)
  • Set the Akai unit as the "MIDI In" device. You won't actually need to set anything specifically unless you have multiple input devices all on simulataneously. Composer automatically detects MIDI in and will use that for recording.
  • Set LoopBe1 as the default MIDI Out.
  • In Aria, Set LoopBe1 as the MIDI In.
  • Make sure that the channel assignments for the staff setup(s) in Composer match the channel assignments in the Aria player for the loaded instruments that you want to use. There is a tutorial video specifically about Garritan Libraries and the Aria player at http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=3873

The above should get you going. Please review the video at http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=3873 for full details about getting going with the Aria player and Garritan libraries.

Enjoy
Sherry
Old 12-31-2014, 01:56 PM

Location: Balderson, Ontario, Canada, 100 kms (60 miles) from Ottawa

Hi, Sherry, Arslan1:

If I can jump in and sound pedantic for a while:

It's important to recognize the difference between MIDI data and audio data.

Notation Software products deal strictly with MIDI data, which is simply a stream of information that says, at its simplest, "Turn on a note; turn off a note" and a few other things. Composer has no built-in audio devices.

As Sherry's post outlines, you have to direct your MIDI stream from Composer to an audio device of some kind, either external (hardware) or internal (software). In your case, the Aria player is an internal piece of software, so you must use a software MIDI port (Sherry's suggestion is LoopBe; there are others) to re-direct the data stream to it.

Audio devices are where the sound is made and a driver like ASIO4All deals strictly with taking audio data from your audio device and sending it to the computer's speakers. When an audio device receives a MIDI message, it then responds (assuming all channels and voices are set properly) by sending data out through its driver (in this case, ASIO4All) to the speakers where it, finally, becomes sound and, hopefully, music.

Think of Composer as a tiny little conductor in your computer, waving their arms, saying "Play this note now" and of the Aria software as a tiny little musician playing the note. ASIO4All is the microphone they are playing into that lets us outside of the computer hear the music.

And, yes, they wear tiny little tail-coats and black bow ties.

Good luck.

David