Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Technical area > Questions or problems
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search New Posts

Questions or problems Have a question or problem about something you can't find in the Help/Users Guide? Ask it here!

Old 02-20-2012, 09:38 PM
bobsstudio

Default Combining Parts into Conductor's Score?

Hi again, I have successfully converted a short piano and string piece from midi to score. So I now have 7 seperate scores. Piano, 1st Violin, 2nd Violin, Viola, Cello, Contrabass, and Solo Violin. Is there a way I can create a conductors score which will show all 7 parts? (ie like copy and paste the parts into the conductor's template ). Thanks again for any help on this.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:03 PM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)
Default Re: Combining Parts into Conductor's Score?

Hi,

Quote:
I have successfully converted a short piano and string piece from midi to score. So I now have 7 seperate scores. Piano, 1st Violin, 2nd Violin, Viola, Cello, Contrabass, and Solo Violin. Is there a way I can create a conductors score which will show all 7 parts?
Actually if these parts all came from the same .mid file, you could do that from the get-go, and let Composer parse out the parts for you (Composer automatically creates a part for each staff of a .mid that you open.) Any editing you do within the score automatically updates each part, so you don't have to worry about whether a part gets updated or not. You can also separately format each part for printing.

Now that you have your seven separate scores, though, you can indeed create a Conductor's score from those. (I'm also adding in some extra notes here for similar situations.)
1. Open one of the files you have, and then re-save it as whatever you want to name the "mother file" (eg. the one that contains all the instruments.)

2. Go to Staff/Staff Setup, and use Add a New staff for each of the instruments that you have already created.

3. Now open your other part files. IMPORTANT NOTE: Make sure they're all in the same Concert Pitch key before proceeding!

In other words, if you've simply transcribed some parts into Composer files in their instrument transposed key and they actually sound in that instrument transposed key, then you'll need to use Staff/Transpose Actual Pitches to get it into the right Concert Pitch key. After you copy/paste the part into the Conductor's score, you can then use Staff/Transpose Instrument Key to get the correctly displayed notation for the musician to play. If you're a bit confused about Transpositions (and it is a bit tough to get your head around, so don't feel bad at all!), you can click here see our Tutorial video on Transpositions.

4. Go to each single-part file, and click on the Staff Select button (or you can use Region/Select a region, and just click OK) to select the entire staff.

5. Press "Ctrl + C", or use Edit/Copy, to copy the notes for that staff to the computer clipboard.

6. Now click on the song tab for the Conductor's score file, and click the appropriate Staff Select button for that instrument.

7. Press "Ctrl + V", or use Edit/Paste, to paste the notes into the instrument staff.

8. Repeat steps 4-7 for each instrument.

Hope this helps!

Sherry
Old 02-21-2012, 02:48 AM
bobsstudio

Default Combining Parts into Conductor's Score?

Hi there,
Is it possible to copy and paste parts into a Conductor's Score?
I have written 7 parts.
Paino, 1st and 2nd Violins, Viola, Cello, Contrabass ans Solo Violin.
I would like to bring them altogether in a 'Conductor's Score'
How can I do this?
Many thanks again for any info.
Bobsstudio
Old 02-22-2012, 06:19 PM
bobsstudio

Default Re: Combining Parts into Conductor's Score?

Thanks Sherry for your prompt help with this.

Next time I'll remember to export all the midi files together before i start editing in NC.

Thanks again

Bob