Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Using Notation Software products with other (third party) products

Using Notation Software products with other (third party) products Find out from others, or share your experience, about integrating Notation Software products with sound libraries, audio processing software, and other hardware and software products.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:52 PM
Active User

Default Trouble with GPO

Hello,

I am new here. I purchased Notation Composer few days ago and today I purchased GPO. I have tried searching this forums before posting yet I apologize if this is already addressed:

I first start GPO Aria player and then Notation Composer. If I play any midi file, no sound can be heard. In the Device drop down menu in staff setup, GPO is not listed and the only available option is (invalid) Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth.
GPO on its own can play midi files, no problems.
I also tried the "deleting the config file" solution that was suggested in another post on this forum, but the file is not availabe in the composer directory or in its parrents.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Nima
Old 03-03-2010, 06:43 PM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)
Lightbulb Re: Trouble with GPO

Hi Nima,

To use the GPO Aria player directly with Composer, you'll need a virtual MIDI cable, such as LoopBe (http://www.nerds.de/en/loopbe1.html, download free at http://www.nerds.de/data/setuploopbe1.exe )

Here are the steps you'll need to do. Don't worry - it actually took me a lot longer to type it than it will to do it
1. Download the LoopBe installation file, and install the LoopBe virtual MIDI cable.

2. Run the Aria player, and go to Tools/Preferences.

3. In the "Input MIDI Devices", make sure there is a checkmark beside "LoopBe Internal MIDI(in)"

4. Click "Ok"

5. NOW run Composer. It will automatically detect the LoopBe cable device, which is what connects Composer to GPO Aria.

6. In Composer, click Setup/MIDI Device Configuration (the big one).

7. Right-click the LoopBe Internal MIDI Port (not device yet), and select "Properties"

8. Uncheck the "Open for MIDI input (recording)" box, then click "Ok."

9. Now right-click the LoopBe Internal MIDI Device listing, then click the "Set as default playback device." At this point, you might get a warning box from LoopBe that it has had a feedback loop. That's ok, because all you have to do is to right-click the LoopBe box and uncheck the mute. (this only happens at this one point.)

10. I also strongly urge you at this point, especially if you're going to exclusively use the GPO Aria player, to disable the GS Wavetable. Part of the beauty of the Aria player is that using ASIO drivers, you can get great sounds with no delay in recording or playback. The GS Wavetable interferes with ASIO, though, so you'll want to disable it. To do that, just right-click the GS Wavetable port in MIDI Device Configuration, and uncheck the "Open for MIDI output" box, then click "Ok."
Now, when you use the Aria device for playback, you'll just need to be sure that the channel numbers that are assigned to the loaded instruments there match up with the channel assignments in Composer's Staff/Setup for each of your staves. And be sure to always start GPO Aria BEFORE starting Composer, or it will cause the feedback loop "Mute" issue with LoopBe. If that happens, just uncheck the Mute box in LoopBe, close Aria and Composer, then reopen them in the proper order (that's a LoopBe issue).

Enjoy
Sherry
Old 03-04-2010, 04:20 AM
Active User

Default Re: Trouble with GPO

Dear Sherry,

Thank you for this. I will try it and will bug you more if unsuccesful!
But I thought GPO works with Notation Composer without virtual midi cables?

Thanks,
Nima
Old 03-04-2010, 11:49 AM
Product Manager

Hi Nima,

No bother at all

The first versions of GPO that used the Kontakt player(s) did work directly with Composer, as they were a detectable MIDI device. The Aria player, however, needs the virtual MIDI cable. Fortunately after you get the virtual cable installed, it thereafter runs just as if it were "direct". The main thing you'll need to remember is to run GPO BEFORE running Composer. Kind of like making sure there's water in the pot before you set it to boil

Do let us know if you have any more questions - there are other GPO users around as well.

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 03-06-2010, 06:24 AM
Active User

Hi Sherry,

Thank you for your help, notation composer is now connected to Aria Player.
I had to follow 2 additional "common sense" steps :
1) unmute Loopbe
2) restrat the system

Many thanks,
Nima
Old 04-03-2010, 02:07 PM
Product Manager

Hi,

You can set the channels you want in both Composer and Musician, as well as change the channel setting in GPO.

To change the channel settings for Composer:

1. To do them all from the same dialog, click on Staff/Setup
2. In the grid at the top part of the dialog, click on each channel number, and select what you want from the drop down list.
3. When you're done setting all the channels, click "Ok."

To change the channel for the instrument in GPO (this is for the Aria player)

1. Open the Aria player.
2. After loading your instruments, you can then click on the channel number in the slot (eg. "01") and a drop list will show up where you can select a different channel number. You'll want to match the channel numbers of the instruments with the channel numbers you assigned in Composer.

Joy should be yours

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 10-18-2014, 01:46 AM
Active User

Hi,

I tried to set up GPO with NC as instructed but I cannot get any sounds to play back. The NC did recorded the data but no sound when played back. Please advise. Thanks Dai
Old 10-18-2014, 03:00 AM
Product Manager

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by dai phan View Post
Hi,

I tried to set up GPO with NC as instructed but I cannot get any sounds to play back. The NC did recorded the data but no sound when played back. Please advise. Thanks Dai
If you're using LoopBe, make sure it is not muted. Sometimes a MIDI file will contain spurious MIDI controller events, or if both the IN and OUT are "on" for Composer, it can cause a feedback loop in LoopBe which will trigger the Mute to "on".

If the LoopBe Mute was "on", check in Composer's Setup->MIDI Device Configuration -> Internal 1 (or whatever LoopBe is called in your setup) and see if it is set as both In and Out. If it is set for both, then click on Ports -> Select Ports, and UNCHECK it in the "IN" side.

Hopefully the above tips will work for you. If not, you may want to review the tutorial videos on "Virtual MIDI Cable Installation" and "Getting Started With Garritan Libraries". And you can always ask questions here

Enjoy!
Sherry
Old 10-18-2014, 03:03 AM
Product Manager

AND.... if the Composer settings are correct, and the sound keeps going out (LoopBe keeps setting Mute to "on"), then try a different song file. Sometimes .mid files created with certain MIDI stations/sequencers will have a series of MIDI cc events that will trigger the feedback "Mute" in LoopBe. Alternatively, you can buy the pay-for version of LoopBe30, and you will have the option to have LoopBe not mute when such events happen.

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 10-18-2014, 09:37 PM
Active User

Greetings,

I have tried but still no sound. I unchecked the "in" box (Loopbe internal MIDI- External port) as instructed but no sounds when test play. I also went into the staff set up and make sure it is set on channel 1 as advised on your videos but still no go. Is there anything I can do besides buying the Loopbe30 version? I have tried different MIDI files as well as my recording. I hope to get this resolved soon so I can do some recordings while the inspirations are still in my head! Thanks! Dai

PS: Is there a Loopbe Mute box that I am missing?
Old 10-18-2014, 10:56 PM
Active User

Greetings,

I bought the Loopbe30 and still no play back sounds. I make sure the channels are not muted when I run the Loopbe30 monitor. I also make sure all are on channel 1 on both NC and Aria player. Somehow NC is not communicating the AP? Any help is appreciated. Dai