Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Share Your Music
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search New Posts

Share Your Music Share your .not or .mid files of your arrangements or compositions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-02-2023, 01:01 PM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)
Default Re: So. . .Here's Some Mo'

Hi Jeffrey,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey610 View Post
Please elaborate on your comment "I play bass and so used the Staff/Transpose instrument key to get it up to readable".

Bass (and guitar) are both transposing instruments only because they both "sound" an octave below where their notation is written.

So, for example, a bass sheet where there is a middle C written, when played on a bass or guitar, actually sounds at the C that is on the next to bottom space of the bass clef.

If you want a musician to read their music from a file you come up with in Composer we have a feature for that You can see in Staff/Transpose that there are 2 types of transposition. The one we're talking about here is "Transpose...to each instrument's key".

1. You can write everything out in "concert key" and then
  2. use Staff/ Transpose to each instrument's key.
  3. Click "Next" (this first dialog is just to make sure you're choosing the right transposition).
  4. Now click "Look up all instrument transpositions" to have Composer automatically look up the instrument transpositions for each staff. If you've named your Staff for a band member like "Rudy" you may need to click the individual "Look Up" button and find Rudy's instrument.
  5. Then click Finish and Composer will show you the staff in the instrument's transposed key.
You can go to Help/User Guide and then use the Index to look up more information about transposing under the topic "transpose".

So when I transposed the bass line for reading, I did the above to bring the notation up an octave to give the sheet that I would read and play.

ttfn,
Sherry