Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Using Notation Software products with other (third party) products

Using Notation Software products with other (third party) products Find out from others, or share your experience, about integrating Notation Software products with sound libraries, audio processing software, and other hardware and software products.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-14-2006, 08:39 AM
Clyde (clyde)

Default Hi David, (I have put

Hi David,

(I have put my reply to your link to http://virtualorgan.com under this topic, as I think others may like to follow it up).

This is a great link that you have given for this Theatre Organ.

It certainly is of interest to me, as I have been looking for an alternative Organ to the Classical organ that I could use for the more 'Gospel' type hymn.

I have downloaded the 'free' organ. It is surprising small in its 'footprint' in that it consumes minimal memory and disc space.

AND IT SOUNDS GREAT.

I found that I had no trouble driving it from Composer, using the Midi Yoke interface between Composer and the MidiTzer. It is easy to assign a Composer stave to a midi channel, and thereby drive each manual (and Pedals) separately.

A separate Stave is used to control Pistons and stop changes. In the MidiTzer Settings, you are able to export to a CSV file the controls for changing the stops and Pistons. The meaning of this file is not immediately obvious, but what I have found it to mean is as follows:

(a) Piston changes are really Midi Instrument Changes.
(b) Individual stop changes are switched on by controller 81 (giving it a certain value as in the table). Individual stops are switched off using controller 80 (giving it a certain value as in the table).
(c) Swell shutter controllers (volume control) are also done by using the assigned controllers and giving them a value (1-16000). For example, using controller 11 (Swell Main) with a value of 8000 1/2 shuts (or opens) the swell shutters.

In regard to recording the output from the organ, our old friend Audacity is used (and suggested on their web page). It works well, and also records in stereo.

(In regard to stereo, Theatre organs usually have the pipes split between two swell chambers, one on the left and one on the right. The little circle above each stop indicates which side the pipe is in - the black center dot indicates the right, and the white centre indicates the left. In actual fact the stereo recording in Audacity records gives them a slight pan towards the left and right, not an all or nothing effect).

So can I say David, this is a great find that you have shared with us, and one I most certainly will take up. Can I suggest that if other forum users of Composer are interested in some good organ sounds here is a good place to start - and the price is right .... FREE!

With many thanks ... Clyde