Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Share Your Music

Share Your Music Share your .not or .mid files of your arrangements or compositions.

Old 02-28-2009, 06:31 AM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default The first movement, just title

The first movement, just titled "Prelude" is far down the page. This movement, more precisely the last chorus of "The Old Union/Dissolution Wagon" has cost me a couple of months, mostly because I had four or five dissonant overall sounds going through my head and kept re-writing. Remnants of the one in which Eb, D, and Db were used are still heard in the trombones and trumpets.

I have put this movement on Soundclick, but for those who can play a .not file, the lyrics here are easier to follow then they came out at Soundclick. It won't sound right playing it here, unless you have an orchestral percussion soundfont that you can put in for the Timpani and Cymbals, but it can be paged through as the SC file plays. Of email me, and I'll send a .pdf version of the score.

The research phase of the 3rd movement (Folks at Home) is nearly finished and that for the 4th (A-Field), and what will probably become the sixth movement (Love in Time of War) pretty well begun.

I am afraid the .not file is too long, so I zipped it up.

\attach[Symphony 3, II Patriots]
Old 02-28-2009, 06:33 AM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

<center><table border=1><tr><td>Symphony 3, II Patriots
Symphony 3 (508.1 k)</td></tr></table></center><center><table border=1><tr><td>Patriots
Symphony 3 (508.1 k)</td></tr></table></center>
Old 03-01-2009, 07:12 PM
Adrian Allan (adrianallan)

Default Always interesting to base mus

Always interesting to base music on an actual historical event. I've followed some of the history of the American Civil War on the radio over here, and appreciate its long-lasting consequences. I'd like to hear the music for real now, especially how the banjo sits with a traditional orchestra. Well done.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:32 PM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hi Adrian, Thanks. I hope

Hi Adrian,

Thanks. I hope my plan for the symphony (or perhaps oratorio will be better once it's done) works out. That is to let all sides express their feelings about each other and the war through their songs and bind it together dramatically through the (true)story of the runaway slave, Joseph Selby, whom I've called Ned. Since Benjamin Hanby, the composer of the original version of "Darling Nellie Gray" would have know Joseph Selby (Ned), it can be inferred that he did, indeed, play the banjo. But I think you are right about a solo banjo playing with a full orchestra. I guess how to handle that would be up to the conductor. I have kept the orchestra in most sections requiring that instrument pretty hushed, but the ideal thing would be for the tenor soloist to play the banjo and step forward to a microphone when he sings in the guise of Ned. Nice dream, but . . .

all best,
mgj
Old 03-02-2009, 11:57 AM
David Jacklin (dj)

Default Hi, M.G.: Most impressive!

Hi, M.G.:

Most impressive! The thick sounds you've chosen are hard to work with synthesizers, but I can hear them sitting very well live.

One question regarding the vocal sections: Are the time sigs correct in the .not file, as I seem to be hearing downbeats in the vocals that are not on the downbeats of the score.

As to the banjo, orchestras work with unusual instruments all the time. See P.D.Q. Bach's Concerto for Horn and Hardart. They can figure it out.

I'm looking forward to more.

David
Old 03-02-2009, 11:59 AM
David Jacklin (dj)

Default And, yes, I would say "ora

And, yes, I would say "oratorio" rather than symphony.

David
Old 03-02-2009, 12:55 PM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy MG, Kudos! It does w

Howdy MG,

Kudos! It does work well to "play" the file in Composer to better see the lyrics and listen to the SoundClick recording. I just had to ignore the highlighting notes, because I didn't hit it quite right to exactly match timing

Banjo and orchestra has been done before. Bela Fleck, banjo meister extraordinaire, has played all kinds of music, and done it well. I could very well hear him playing this piece with a full orchestra. I don't know if he sings, though.

Loving it!
Sherry
Old 03-02-2009, 12:56 PM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default p.s. For those who want to hea

p.s. For those who want to hear MG's recording of it, his link is http://www.soundclick.com/mgjacobs He has lots of other great music there, too!

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 03-03-2009, 06:31 AM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hi David, The time signatur

Hi David,

The time signatures are correct in both movements. I don't know what causes what you are describing. There is one measure of 1/4 in the Prelude and frequent changes between 3/4 and 2/4, which I chose to do rather than making many tempo changes. In Patriots the meters are 2/4, 3/8 and a return to 2/4. There are places in the vocal sections where a phrases start in perhaps unexpected places--one, as I recall, that starts on the second 16th note of the second beat. I don't know if this explains it, or not.

If you are listening to the .not file, you will hear a lot of strange things, I expect. In order to use decent timpani and cymbals, I've used a sound font that has timpani up to B4, then cymbals above. And Real Voice, rather than Synth Voice for all the vocals. I was so maxed out on channels that I had to use a trombone for the tuba, and there was no channel left for a piccolo.

The question of banjo, which is going to have to be in every movement other than the epilog, with orchestra is one I've been worrying about way too much. I've only heard one guitar concerto live, but I saw no sign that it was amplified.

all best,
mgj
Old 03-03-2009, 06:35 AM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hi Sherry, I expect with yo

Hi Sherry,

I expect with your collection of sound fonts, you might be able to find the orch percussion one for the timpani and cymbals, and you might also have Real Voice. I'd be glad to send these if you'd like to have them.

all best,
mgj