Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Share Your Music

Share Your Music Share your .not or .mid files of your arrangements or compositions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-13-2005, 07:03 AM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hi Andrew, I rather like th

Hi Andrew,

I rather like the piece, especially the overall driving quality and the melodic sections. I am a little preplexed by the title because it raises questions, such as, is it a rhapsody or (part of) a piano concerto, perhaps the slow movement? If it is part of a concerto, I wonder what part the orchestra has. Could "rhapsody" be a kind of cop out, where "draft" is really meant, and you envision editing and addition yet to come?

Nevertheless, the piece is a good listen. I'm not sure the level of one's knowledge of musical theory is all that relevant. One doesn't listen to theory, so perhaps a knowledge of what is out there to be heard is as good a study as what theoretically possible or desirable.

Mark's advice about the analysis of your own work is excellent, as well as making use of the large selection of midi transcriptions that is online. You might learn more that would be applicable to your own musical imaginings by finding out why it is that Beethoven's "Eroica", Sibelius's 2nd Symphony and Ives's "Holidays" sound so different and evoke such different emotions, although they all start with basically the same compositional materials.

The ending of your piece is quite appealing. Although a Bb Major to C minor cadence doesn't suggest finality, you bring off a sense of ending quite well by the use of single tones alternating with chords, while evoking a sense of yearning--for what I don't know--perhaps a continuation of the music . . .

all best,
mgj