Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Technical area > Questions or problems

Questions or problems Have a question or problem about something you can't find in the Help/Users Guide? Ask it here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-06-2013, 01:38 PM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)
Default Re: Composer 2.6.3 Crashing on Play

Howdy,

I'm going to jump in here since I've been the "keeper of the bug reports" for many years at Notation Software

First of all, thank you very much for the detailed reports, as well as supplying a nice short test file that demonstrates the problems. If all the reports that we got were as clear and succinct, it would make my life (and the developer's) much easier

Reinhold is taking over Notation Software after the loss of our founder and previous president/developer Mark Walsen (you can read more about that here, and the full announcement of the transition to Reinhold here.) I've been working with Reinhold for the last several months, and he is definitely the best guy we could have hoped for to move Notation Software forward. I'm excited

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash N Burn View Post

1. The 8va starting in measure 2 begins on the 3rd beat and ends on/after beat 2 of measure 4. Attempting to add notes in measure 4 after the 8va ends causes the notes to be added one octave higher than they should be.
This is a known bug that is being addressed.
Quote:
2. Deleting the bar line between 2nd and 3rd measure (to combine measures) results in deleting of 8va, ties, and repeats. (Repeat start barline is changed to normal non-repeat start barline and the end barline is changed to a normal barline... though the repeating dots are kept for the following measure.)
3. Rebar deletes 8va and ties. (keyboard shortcut: ||es) The tied notes in this case are truncated from quarter notes to eighth notes. I've seen the note completely disappear before too!
These two are known and likely related, as well as being addressed.
Quote:
4. Adding in a single measure repeat (measure 4) causes the play button to error with "Internal Program Error: c0000005 Address: 5acab0" when pressed after the song has played to the end. Removing the repeat avoids the problem.
Also a rare but known problem (rare only because single measure repeats are relatively rare )
Quote:
The following two issues (5 and 6) seem to occur because of this same bug.
5. Rewind to the start of song (ctrl-home) and press the play button (spacebar). Attempt to jump to the last measure by clicking on it. The song will stop with error "Internal Program Error: c0000005 Address: 5acab0". Rewind to the start of the song, press play and attempt to jump to the measure after all of the repeats (measure 5)... none of the notes in that measure play but the following measures play fine.
6. Restart notation composer, and open the file. Play the song to the end (spacebar) and then go to "Review and edit repeat instructions" (qri). Click on the second row. Select "Insert Above". Enter in 1,2,4,test. Press Okay and then press the spacebar to attempt playback. Result will be "Internal Program Error: c0000005 Address: 5acab0 (hit esc to clear message.)" and the following crash information:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Composer.exe
Application Version: 2.6.3.0
Application Timestamp: 4cda2d30
Fault Module Name: Composer.exe
Fault Module Version: 2.6.3.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 4cda2d30
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0016b97f
OS Version: 6.2.9200.2.0.0.256.103
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 4ee8
Additional Information 2: 4ee8c24e5f4695cb729117cc0e688c61
Additional Information 3: 10ee
Additional Information 4: 10ee0c82268cf75b8f7938f0f8aade07
Note that I was also getting similar crashes when trying to insert measures at the end of the song but it seemed to happen non-deterministically.
These are probably related to a known bug in files that have multiple repeat passages, but it is very helpful to have the details.

Thanks again for the great report!

ttfn,
Sherry