Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Using Notation Software products with other (third party) products

Using Notation Software products with other (third party) products Find out from others, or share your experience, about integrating Notation Software products with sound libraries, audio processing software, and other hardware and software products.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-10-2005, 08:00 PM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy folks, Mark is indeed

Howdy folks,

Mark is indeed correct that you can find the exact same deal that I found (I have v 3.1x, and this one is 4.0, though) at http://www.neuratron.com/photoscore.htm

Scroll to the bottom of the page, and then follow the "order now click _here_", where "_here_" is a text link. You can then proceed to purchase it (it is download only) for $24. They seem to run this special only intermittently (that I've seen, though I don't keep regular tabs on their page), and from what I saw when I was looking for a scanning program earlier this year, this is pretty cheap. Other programs run about $100, and this one normally sells for $49 according to the page.

It works well for what I want to do, which is to scan in sheet music that I can then save as a .mid file to open in Composer. This version only reads notes (not performance marks or chord charts) on the staves that you select, and it will (contrary to what their description says for my version anyway) read two voices per staff. It will either read a page from your scanner, or .bmp files, and will save the results (after you edit them) as .mid.

The interface for correcting reading mistakes is quite nice, and it allows you to correct things and listen to it before saving the "read" score as a .mid. While you are editing, the mouse cursor moves along the score that it has "read" while simultaneously showing a cursor moving along the scanned picture of the original, which makes corrections very easy to make. You don't have to go back and forth between the scanned picture of the score and the editable score that will be saved as the .mid file.

The users' guide is a bit sketchy, but does give you the information that you need to successfully scan, read (ie, let the software interpret the file into sheet music), and export a .mid file so that you can work with it in MidiNotate.

Photoscore MIDI Lite is just a simple scanning program with export to MIDI only, but at the current price of $24, it's a great app for MidiNotate users. I've thoroughly enjoyed using it.

ttfn,
Sherry