Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Technical area > Questions or problems

Questions or problems Have a question or problem about something you can't find in the Help/Users Guide? Ask it here!

Old 02-19-2011, 09:26 AM
Bernd Dellwig

Default Export Midi - chords lost

I am a (german) Entertainer with Tyros3 and I use Composer (2.6.3).
After "export midifile" to my PC (or Tyros3), all Chords are lost. What is my mistake?
Old 02-19-2011, 12:46 PM

Location: Balderson, Ontario, Canada, 100 kms (60 miles) from Ottawa
Default Re: Export Midi - chords lost

Hello, Bernd:

Do you mean the Chord Symbols above the score? Or do you mean a staff with chords (notes) in it?

Chord Symbols are not a part of the MIDI format -- they are a specific part of the Notation Composer file. If you export the file to .mid format, you will lose any special annotations and symbols. MIDI simply contains note on/note off, velocity and controller messages, no fancy notation information which is carried in Composer's .not file format.

If you mean you've lost actual notes in chords, then that's something deeper we'll have to investigate.

David
Old 02-19-2011, 02:27 PM
Bernd Dellwig

Hallo David,
thankyou very much. It was a very quickly answer!

I really mean the Chord Symbols above the score. Cause in another midi-program (Optimizer7 / midiland) the chordsymbols stay, although I transpose the midifile and exported it.

But now I know, that I did not make a mistake by working with the composer.
Thanks again!
Bernd Dellwig
Old 02-19-2011, 03:45 PM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)

Hi guys,

Some programs do export chord symbols as lyric text. The good part is that you get the chord symbols in the exported .mid file. The bad part is that the chord symbols are no longer musically linked to the notes, so if you transpose the file, the chord symbols no longer transpose also.

We do have it as a possible enhancement down the road to have the option to export chord symbols as lyric text in an exported .mid file.

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 02-19-2011, 04:02 PM
Senior User

I am not quite sure if the real answer is between both findings.

I think I remember there can be something in midi files that indeed represent cords on midi level as this can be used in arrangers like tyros to harmonize your voice for instance. But I am not sure if this is a proprietary feature probably just in XG or styles.

I don't own Midiland software but I know about it and it looks to be quite advanced when it comes to tweaking midi for entertainment purposes.