Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > News and notes > Announcements

Announcements News from the Notation Software team

Old 08-17-2005, 05:18 AM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hello Everyone, MidiNotate

Hello Everyone,

MidiNotate Composer 1.1 Release Candidate (RC1) is now ready at www.notation.com/ComposerBetaRelease.htm

A Release Candidate is a pre-release of the final version of the software. The software is considered ready for final release. The Release Candidate is tested. If no significant problems are found during testing, then the Release Candidate becomes the final released version of the software.

I would very much appreciate your trying out this Composer 1.1 RC1. If you find any problems with the setup, documentation, or software itself, please report below, or let me know at support@notation.com

The final release of Composer 1.1 is scheduled for Thursday Oct 18, provided no significant problems are found.

Here is a list of the changes in RC1, since the previous Beta Release 4:

Setup. Support setup for both admin and non-admin users on Windows XP and 2000.

Fonts. Fix problem that running Composer 1.0.9 after running Composer 1.1, or vica versa, results in font size 10 times too large or 10 times too small.

Playback. Fix problem that SHIFT+Click on a Play/Mute staff control button did not turn on sound for staves that were not solo'ed if any others were solo'ed. Fix problem that the metronome incorrectly played for the first measure if the Perform / Pickup Beats option is used, but the metronome was turned off.

Meter. If you select one measure and change the meter to add more beats, Composer now correctly changes the meter of that measure and adds rests at the end of the measure, rather than reject the command.

Cheers
-- Mark

Old 08-17-2005, 08:24 AM
Clyde (clyde)

Default Hi Mark, Have downloaded th

Hi Mark,
Have downloaded the new RC1 version, and the same problem with initial font size being large, and page view being unworkable remains.

In attempt to remove lingering effects of previous versions, I uninstalled the version and renamed all directories, and then re-installed.

Still the same problem.

So still unable to use Composer, as I can't print any scores.

Clyde
Old 08-17-2005, 08:38 AM
Lee Eschen (leeschen)

Default Hi Mark, I've been away

Hi Mark,

I've been away from the forum for awhile dealing with a medical condition, but thanks to the e-mail forwarding of forum posts, I've pretty much kept up with developments at Notation, including trying a Beta of Composer Pro. I was glad to see that you were releasing the final candidate for Composer 1.1, but unfortunately, you typed a BACK slash instead of a FORWARD slash as required by web URL's. This gives a "NOT FOUND" error message when clicked. Just thought you'd like to know. I did go to the regular site and am now downloading the new Beta.

Blessings, and keep up the good work,
Lee Eschen
Old 08-17-2005, 05:23 PM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy Mark, I've d/l

Howdy Mark,

I've d/l'ed and installed the new version, and have run into a couple of problems.

1. I added a new staff and tried to record into it. The piano roll dashes come up as it's in the process of recording, but when I hit the "stop" button, no notation comes up. I didn't see any error message. However...

2. When I'm done with the recording, the staff is empty, and so is the field where the staff control buttons should be. I checked the options in "View" (nice addition, I've been meaning to tell you), and the option is checked, but still the control buttons don't show. They were displaying fine when I first opened the file.

3. After trying to record, and observing 2 and 3 above, I tried "rewinding" (the playback position green arrow goes where it should) but then I couldn't get the file to play. I tried clicking on the button and hitting the space bar (not at the same time), and nothing.

4. I then tried using "Edit/Refresh entire score", and the display changed to a single staff, "Unnamed" rather than the three tracks I had setup.

5. Then, after about 10 seconds, I get this "Microsoft Visual C++" error message that says "Runtime Error! Program: C:\Program Files\MidiNotate\Composer\composer.exe abnormal program termination" and then Composer shuts down without saving anything.

6. I've done this a few times, with the same results each time. I would consider this a Showstopper

I'll email you the file that I had opened to work on, in case that should give you any clues, as well as any "rescued" files I may have. For some reason I'm still unable to upload files using the "Upload Attachment" button on the forum.

ttfn,
Sherry

Old 08-17-2005, 05:23 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hello Clyde, The font size

Hello Clyde,

The font size problem you're seeing will probably only be seen by a few unlucky people who used a beta release of Composer 1.1 and then went back to using Composer 1.0.9 at some time. There is probably still some corrupted data left in the Windows registry, which I'll help you clean up in some instructions below.

This problem with font size, going back and forth between Composer 1.1 and Composer 1.0.9 is now fixed in Composer 1.1 RC1.

I assume that you're not seeing the font size problem in Composer 1.0.9. If my assumption is wrong, then please let me know and ignore the instructions below.

Using Regedit:

(1) delete the entire section HKEY_CURRENT_USER\MidiNotate\Composer\FontsPointSi zeIn10ths

(2) delete the 'Name' = PointSizesArein10ths under
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MidiNotate\Composer\Set upOptions

Please let me know if that clears up the problem. Sorry for the trouble.

Cheers
-- Mark

Old 08-17-2005, 05:26 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hello Lee, Thanks for repor

Hello Lee,

Thanks for reporting the problem in my first post. I have now corrected it to refer the reader to www.notation.com/ComposerBetaRelease.htm

Cheers
-- Mark
Old 08-17-2005, 05:27 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hello Sherry, Thanks for th

Hello Sherry,

Thanks for the report about the recording problem in Composer 1.1 RC1. I'm going to look at it right now!

Cheers
-- Mark
Old 08-17-2005, 05:39 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hello Sherry, I was able to

Hello Sherry,

I was able to reproduce exactly all of the details of the recording problem through step #4. That gives me all I should need to tackle this showstopper.

Thanks for the report!!!!

Cheers
-- Mark
Old 08-17-2005, 05:45 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hello Sherry, This recordin

Hello Sherry,

This recording problem was introduced in Composer 1.1 beta release 4. The problem wasn't there in beta release 3. That narrows down the problem.

Cheers
-- Mark
Old 08-17-2005, 05:47 PM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy Mark, Hopefully it wi

Howdy Mark,

Hopefully it will be easy to track down. I guess I hadn't tried any recording with the previous version. I've been mostly doing "tweaking" of arrangements and not using the recording function. That's about to change

ttfn,
Sherry

Old 08-17-2005, 07:42 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hello Sherry, This recordin

Hello Sherry,

This recording problem is now fixed. The bug was indeed introduced in Beta Release #4.

There will be a Release Candidate 2 (RC2) within a few hours with this and a few other fixes.

Thanks for reporting this bug!

Cheers
-- Mark
Old 08-18-2005, 12:46 AM
Clyde (clyde)

Default Hi Mark, The problem with t

Hi Mark,
The problem with the larger font size at startup, and after I reduce the size then the 'oage' view is about 1 inch square occurs also on 1.09.

The attached file shows the result:

<center><table border=1><tr><td>page
Composer.doc (33.8 k)</td></tr></table></center>

The end result of this is that I cannot use any of the versions of Composer. Fortunately at present there is no urgent need to do any work with any scores, but then I'm not the only with this problem.

Clyde
Old 08-18-2005, 04:36 AM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hello Clyde, It will be nec

Hello Clyde,

It will be necessary for you to do the following in Regedit, regardless of whether you want to use Composer 1.0.9 or upgrade to Composer 1.1:

Using Regedit:

(1) delete the entire section HKEY_CURRENT_USER\MidiNotate\Composer\Fonts

(2) delete the entire section HKEY_CURRENT_USER\MidiNotate\Composer\FontsPointSi zeIn10ths

(3) delete the 'Name' = PointSizesArein10ths under
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MidiNotate\Composer\Set upOptions

I recommended doing #2 and #3 before, but now I recommend also doing #1. You don't be able to get past this font problem if you don't the above, sorry. If you do the above, then you will be able to use Composer 1.0.9, and install Composer 1.1 RC1 or later, and go back and forth between 1.0.9 and 1.1 without any problems. (I'm pretty sure.)

Cheers
-- Mark

In additio