Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > News and notes > Announcements

Announcements News from the Notation Software team

Old 04-20-2005, 07:46 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default There is another quickie beta

There is another quickie beta release version 1.0.9.8 at www.notation.com/MidiNotatePlayer.htm

The changes are 1.0.9.8 are small:
  • The key signature and clef dialog boxes displayed the key signature and clef in a font size that was too small.
  • A new topic was added to the Users Guide on the Perform / Reassign MIDI Devices command.
  • The 'Learn about more MidiNotate products' button was cleaned up a little.
That's all. You don't need to redownload and install 1.0.9.8 if you're using 1.0.9.7.

Cheers
-- Mark
Old 04-25-2005, 11:01 AM
Erwin O (erdax)

Default Hi Mark MN Player is workin

Hi Mark

MN Player is working very well and so far no problems.
Just one thing about the association with .mid and .klar, this isn't working like it should, I had to go into the Folder Option of XP to change the player.
Some people are going to have problems with that and not knowing what to do about it.

Another thing is that MNPlr, freezes when I try to play a midifile from
SVP World Forum. I've tried a lot of sites and SVP is the only site were it doesn't work.
There midifiles work well with MediaPlayer.

Maybe you can figure out what's happening with the midifiles and MN Player.

Thank you

Cheers
--Erwin
Old 04-25-2005, 12:15 PM
Clyde (clyde)

Default Hi Mark, In preparing my fi

Hi Mark,
In preparing my files for downloading from my web page (see http://www.notation.com/notesoftfiles.htm#anchorTOC), I find that the current version of Player (v 1.0.9.8) that the lyrics do not highlight during playback.

The chords turn red, but not the lyrics. This is happening with all my songs (now over 20 on my website), and a typical case is the attached song:

<center><table border=1><tr><td>lyrics
B65_Jesus-came-to-this-world-BIAB.not (113.3 k)</td></tr></table></center>

cheers ... Clyde
Old 04-25-2005, 07:09 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hello Clyde,

Hello Clyde,

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

I find that the current version of Player (v 1.0.9.8) that the lyrics do not highlight during playback.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>The problem is that MidiNotate does not highlight lyrics (nor notes) if the track is muted.

In the Piano part of B65_Jesus-came..., the piano track is muted. The notes and lyrics are therefore not highlighted during playback.

In Player, if you choose the Band part instead of Piano part, you'll see that the lyrics are highlighted.

This has been the design in MidiNotate, probably for years, that muted tracks do not highlight notes and lyrics during playback. Under most circumstances, this makes sense. However, I understand why you want the lyrics highlighted during playback (and perhaps would also want notes highlighted) for the muted piano track.

I could add an extra option that enables or disables highlighting of notes and lyrics independently of whether the track is muted. But I'm reluctant to do that. It seems like that would add unnecessary complication to the user interface of Composer to accommodate what seems like a rare case to me.

Instead, I recommend the following technique, and probably should include this advice in the Users Guide: Turn off the muting of the piano RH and LH tracks. Then set the track channel volume to zero throughout the entire track. Thus, the tracks are muted, in effect, but MidiNotate is tricked into believing that the tracks are really playing and so will highlight the notes and lyrics.

Do you think this technique (or work-around, depending on one's perspective) is acceptable?

Cheers
--Mark
Old 04-25-2005, 07:21 PM
Erwin O (erdax)

Default Mark I just found another s

Mark

I just found another sites where these problem occurs.
Opening the MN player works well, but pressing the Play-button freezes it and it takes along time before the Stop-button gets active after clicking it.

Could it have something to do CPU overload???

Thanks
--Erwin
Old 04-25-2005, 08:31 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hello Erwin, Are you using

Hello Erwin,

Are you using Windows 98? (I recall that you are.)

Please send me one of the MIDI files (from SVP Forum World) that freezes during playback in Player.

Another user reported to me that playback was not producing sound on Windows 98 in Player, and I reproduced that problem on one of my Win98 machines.

I suspect that the new MidiNotate Player has some sort of specific problem with MIDI devices on Windows 98.

Since I am able to reproduce the problem that there is no playback sound on one of my Win98 machines, that will help me a lot to pin down the problem. If you can send me a MIDI file that freezes during playback in Player, that will further help me.

Cheers
-- Mark

Old 04-25-2005, 08:45 PM
Erwin O (erdax)

Default Mark Sorry, but I'm usi

Mark

Sorry, but I'm using XP since it came out.

Here is the midifile

<!-attachment-!><center></center><!-/attachment-!>

Cheers
--Erwin<center> <table border=1><tr><td> <table> <tr> <td align=center valign=top>
52.8 K </td> <td align=left valign=top> <font size=1>Wandering star.mid</font>
&quot;Wandering Star midi&quot; </td></tr></table> </td></tr></table> </center>
Old 04-25-2005, 08:53 PM
Erwin O (erdax)

Default Mark, it is strange that MN pl

Mark, it is strange that MN player is working well on most sites. I only found 3 sites where it didn't work.

Erwin
Old 04-25-2005, 10:25 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hello Erwin, I'm not ab

Hello Erwin,

I'm not able to download the Wandering Star MIDI file from here, for some reason. I would appreciate it if you would send it in an email to support@notation.com.

When you say "sites", do you mean "web site"? Or, perhaps by "on most sites" do you mean "in most cases" or "in most situations"?

Cheers
-- Mark
Old 04-25-2005, 10:50 PM
Erwin O (erdax)

Default Yes Mark, I mean web site.

Yes Mark, I mean web site.

I'll send you the file.

Erwin
Old 04-25-2005, 11:43 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Erwin, I received the MIDI

Erwin,

I received the MIDI file you sent me from SVP World. It plays fine with MidiNotate Player 1.0.9.8 on my XP machine (I noted you are using XP, not Win98).

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

Could it have something to do CPU overload???<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>That's not very likely. How much memory does your XP machine have?

One thing that is special about the MIDI file you sent me is that uses Yahama's "XF" extension of the MIDI file format. I added support for this around three years ago and forgot that I had done this. When I saw the chord names displayed after the MIDI file was opened, I thought, "How is that possible? MIDI files don't have chord names!" But, Yamaha XF MIDI files _do_ have chord names.

There might be some problem here that has to do with this file being an XF MIDI file.

Are you playing the MIDI file through a Yamaha device or keyboard? If so, try playing it through a MIDI device that is not made by Yamaha. I'm thinking that maybe there is some MIDI XF data in the file that is corrupted that a Yamaha MIDI device would have a problem with, but that a non-Yamaha MIDI device would not have a problem with (because non-Yamaha MIDI devices would ignore the XF data).

Cheers
-- Mark

Old 04-26-2005, 12:30 AM
Clyde (clyde)

Default Hi Mark, I'm happy with

Hi Mark,
I'm happy with your suggested work-around of setting the volume to zero.
Apologies in that I didn't remember that this was the problem. You told me this before.(The call that over here having a 'senior moment').

Cheers .... Clyde
Old 04-26-2005, 03:33 PM
Erwin O (erdax)

Default Mark First of all, my proce

Mark

First of all, my processor is a 1600 Mhz, clockspeed 1.33 Ghz and 512 Mb.

Looking at the CPU usage when starting the song it raised to 100% and stayed there for a while. Than slowly it dropped to 2% and the song started but faster than usual and with a lot of drop-outs.When I pressed Stop the song stops but the CPU raises back to 90% usage until it drops to 0% after a while. Meanwhile I couldn't do anything than wait.

When I installed MN Player and went to "Quick Midi Setup" I saw in the dropdown list : "Yamaha Tyros". When I choose Tyros or USB-Midi, the player want work properly with Websites (the 3 I mentioned).
I changed the device in the player to SB-Live and did "Test". The testsound came out of my PC's speakers, which means that the player is sounding now through the soundcard. Guess what! The music wasn't coming through the soundcard but still through the kb, the testsound still was.

I looked in the MidiNotate folder and renamed Composer's MidiDev.cfg. to something else. When looking in the Setup of the Player, Tyros was gone. Set the device to SB- and it worked, I could listen to Midifiles on those -not working- websites.

But when I close the player and open Composer the old situation is back. Normaly MN player has it's own MidiDef.cfg but I believe that it is using some parts of Composer's .cfg. In this way ,I believe, we are creating feedback and that's causing the problems.
Next step I'm going to make is, removing Composer and the Cakewalk file and see what the player is doing.

Hope this will be of some help for you, meanwhile

Cheers
--Erwin

Old 04-27-2005, 04:48 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Erwin, On Monday April 25,

Erwin,

On Monday April 25, you said:<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

Opening the MN player works well, but pressing the Play-button freezes it and it takes along time before the Stop-button gets active after clicking it.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>I'd appreciate your trying out the new MidiNotate Player version 1.0.9.9. Please let me know if you still encounter this problem.

Thanks!
-- Mark
Old 04-27-2005, 05:51 PM
Erwin O (erdax)

Default Mark I tried 1.0.9.9 and it

Mark

I tried 1.0.9.9 and it works fine as long as I choose my soundcard as midi device. The moment I switch to USB Midi, it stops playing impeccable. Not as worse as before but still.
I tried to load it in an other folder but then I get the message that I couldn't download from the internet because of some "temp" and "LOCAL" I don't know what.
It belongs in the MidiNotate folder.

I really don't know what it is, maybe it has something to do with the software connections between hardware (kb) and pc.

Still when I play the same song (from internet) with the Media player it sounds like it should. I want to use MN Player in the same way.

Maybe I find a way like I did with Composer.

Oh,btw,I forgot to mention it but the song which I've sent to you, "Wandering Star" played normal with Composer, but didn't play with MN.
Player.

Maybe a hint!!

Cheers ..... Erwin