Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Share Your Music

Share Your Music Share your .not or .mid files of your arrangements or compositions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-12-2008, 08:10 PM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy, Since I frequently g

Howdy,

Since I frequently get called on to play "meditative music" as a backdrop for various events at church, I do a lot of hymns either as guitar or whistle arrangements. I wanted to do something a little different this week, and as I've also picked up an inexpensive cello and have been hacking away in my spare time at attempting to learn it, I've been using some of Bach's cello sonatas (sonati? ;) ) lately for practicing. (I also try playing them on my bass.) I picked up a boatload of Bach files from Dave's Bach Site (http://www.jsbach.net/midi/index.html) and have found them very handy for practice.

I thought it would be a sort of neat twist to do one of them on my whistle (probably my low D) for communion this week, so I selected the prelude from Bach's 2nd cello sonata to re-arrange a bit for whistle. The arranging mostly took the form of simply shifting notes an octave one way or the other to accommodate the range of the whistle and/or my ability to get such notes out of the thing without squawking. I also transposed the notation to the key of D because that's the key I'm most familiar with easily reading when I play whistle (it's the "traditional" whistle key, with G and C closely following).

So, without further ado, here's the sheet music I came up with for the piece. The performance is a bit "stiff" as I haven't done anything with it (though I could in Composer), but it should work out nicely for my purposes. If anyone wants to play around with performance nuances, I'd love to hear what you come up with!

Enjoy!
Sherry

<center><table border=1><tr><td>Bach for whistle
CS2-1pre-arrangedForWhistle.not (65.3 k)</td></tr></table></center>