Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Using Notation Software products with other (third party) products

Using Notation Software products with other (third party) products Find out from others, or share your experience, about integrating Notation Software products with sound libraries, audio processing software, and other hardware and software products.

Old 03-03-2006, 02:31 PM
Anonymous

Default Sorry if this question is alre

Sorry if this question is already answered on the forum but i can't find it. Could you let me know whether any of the midinotate products: player, musician or composer can read FINALE .mus files. I really like your programme but am wondering whether i will be able to exchange files with friends who are finale users.
Thanks
Old 03-03-2006, 03:34 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hello, That's a very go

Hello,

That's a very good question. Currently, the only way to pass music between MidiNotate and other notation programs like Finale is via MIDI files. MIDI files basically store only the notes, and not notation information such as dynamic mark and accent marks. MIDI files don't even distinguish note spellings, such as C# vs Db.

The upcoming MidiNotate 2.0, scheduled for early to late summer, will support a standard music notation file format called MusicXML. It is supported by major music notation applications such as Finale and Sibelius. Minimally, MidiNotate 2.0 will export MusicXML files. MidiNotate 2.0 might also import MusicXML files; that has not be decided yet.

Cheers
-- Mark
Old 03-03-2006, 05:51 PM
Anonymous

Default Thanks. Will existing users be

Thanks. Will existing users be able to upgrade/update to the new XML version ?
Old 03-03-2006, 06:18 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hello, Yes, the MusicXML fe

Hello,

Yes, the MusicXML feature will be one of many new features in the next major version of MidiNotate Musician and MidiNotate Composer, which you will be able to conveniently upgrade to.

Cheers
-- Mark
Old 03-03-2006, 06:33 PM
Anonymous

Default Hello Mark Would that be a fr

Hello Mark
Would that be a free upgrade or a paying one (would it be better to wait before buying at this point ?)
Delia

Old 03-03-2006, 08:29 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hello Delia, There will be

Hello Delia,

There will be an upgrade price to the next major version 2.0 of MidiNotate Musician and MidiNotate Composer, to account for many new features that will be added, among which MusicXML is just one new feature. For customers who have purchased MidiNotate a few months before 2.0, a discount upgrade price will be offered.

Cheers
-- Mark
Old 07-04-2006, 12:51 AM
Lakshman Jayatunge

Default I edited a midi file using Mi

I edited a midi file using Midi notate and tried to work with that file in another editing program. That program says its a NOT file and they do not support that type of files. Please let me know What is NOT file and how to convert it to a General midi. Thank you.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:17 PM
Fred Winterling (harbor1)

Default Hi Lakshman, NOT files are No

Hi Lakshman,
NOT files are Notation software files used by "Midi notate". Simply open the .not file and select "Save As" under the file tab, and use the down arrow to select save as .mid file.
Cheers,
Fred
Old 07-08-2006, 04:37 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hello Lakshman and Fred, Th

Hello Lakshman and Fred,

The next 1.9.8 Notation Composer 2.0 beta release (at www.notation.com/MidiNotateBetaRelease.htm) will include MusicXML exporting. You will be able to save a score in Composer as a MusicXML .xml file, and then open that file in a notation program such as Finale or Sibelius that supports MusicXML importing. Much of the details of the notation in the Composer score will be preserved in the export/import process, although the exact positions of all of the notation symbols will not be preserved.

Cheers
-- Mark
Old 07-09-2006, 04:09 PM
David Jacklin (dj)

Default Hi, Mark: Very interesting.

Hi, Mark:

Very interesting. I have a colleague who uses Sibelius and it would nice to be able to just send him files with as much of the formatting preserved as possible, rather than starting from scratch each time with .mid files.

David