Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Tips and tricks for using Notation Software products
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search New Posts

Tips and tricks for using Notation Software products Learn (and share) tips and tricks for getting the most out of your Notation Software products.

Old 11-25-2008, 03:50 PM
Eamonn O'Hogain (eamonx1)

Default Have just purchased Notation C

Have just purchased Notation Composer. (I'm rather elderly and not that computer literate) My keyboard is a Kurzweil SP 76 Stage Piano. When I asked Kurzweil how I can create midi files, I received the reply: 'As the SP has no built in sequencer there is no internal way to do this. You will need to connect the SP to a MIDI sequencer and record into it, from which you can create .MID files.'
My laptop is an Inspiron 1501 and Dell told me that to connect my keyboard to the laptop I will need a stereo male to male cable.
It is the midi sequencer I wish to inquire about? Does it come as part of Notation Composer program? If not where can it me acquired? What is the best type to use? (I assume it is a soft-ware program). I want to be able to record from my keyboard into Notation Composer. Would be grateful for help and advice.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:51 PM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Hi Eamonn, Notation Compose

Hi Eamonn,

Notation Composer will act as your sequencer software, so you're ok there.

To get a MIDI connection from your laptop to the keyboard, though, you'll want to use either a USB cable (if that's what the Kurzweil takes) or MIDI cables in and out from your Kurzweil and some kind of MIDI-to-USB converter unit. The stereo male to male cable that Dell mentioned is for audio, not MIDI.

After you get your Kurzweil properly connected MIDI-wise to your computer, you can run Composer and it will automatically detect your Kurzweil. You can then use Composer to record your performance on your Kurzweil and see it come up as notation.

There's a very nice section in Help/Users Guide about setting up your keyboard, and then about recording. You can use the Index to look up "MIDI, cable" and "recording".

Have fun!
Sherry
Old 11-25-2008, 06:15 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hello Eamoon, I looked at a

Hello Eamoon,

I looked at a picture of the back side of your Kurzweil SP 76 Stage Piano. It has a pair of MIDI In and Out connectors, not USB. You need the following configuration:
  1. A pair of MIDI cables that go from the MIDI In and Out connectors of your Kurzweil to #2.
  2. A MIDI/USB hub, to which you will connect the two MIDI cables. I highly recommend the Midisport 1x1, for about $40.
  3. A USB cable that runs from the MIDI/USB hub to your computer. (I don't know whether the Midisport 1x1 comes with a USB cable. If not, they're inexpensive.)
Note, Notation Composer is a MIDI sequencer, as well as a notation editor. It records the "sequence of MIDI" notes from your MIDI (Kurweil) keyboard.

Cheers
-- Mark
Old 11-26-2008, 06:50 PM
Eamonn O'Hogain (eamonx1)

Default Thanks for your response, whic

Thanks for your response, which really answers my query perfectly.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:28 PM
Anthony Cotton (belpertc)

Default This is interesting but in my

This is interesting but in my case I have a Wersi OAS "Abacus" which has both USB and MIDI in/out/through connectors. If I connect using a USB cable what do I need to do to get Composer to read and display what I am playing ?? and then after editing etc. to replay back into my Wersi Abacus??
I have floppy/CD writer and USB memory sticks as well as the connections as mentioned above.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:45 PM
Steven Taylor (steventaylor)

Default Hi You might like to look a

Hi

You might like to look at a posting from me in setting up your Midi to USB device. I had so much trouble but solved it by always loading Composer BEFORE switching on my Roland Digital Piano, not the other way round. It is odd, but it works perfectly.

Have a great time with Composer. Using it to play along with my Sax has given me renewed enthusiasm for playing. It is so easy to transpose for another instrument.

Steve
Old 05-04-2009, 07:21 PM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy Anthony, Since you ha

Howdy Anthony,

Since you have both USB and MIDI in/out (you shouldn't need to use the 'thru' with our software), the easiest thing to do is try out the USB cable first. Connect your Abacus (I did a quick google search, and they look really nice!) via the USB to your computer, and turn it on. Then run Composer. Composer should detect the Abacus if it transmits MIDI via the USB connection (user reviews that I found gave it a variety of "ease of use" ratings).

If that doesn't work (ie, if Composer doesn't detect it as a MIDI recording and/or playback device), then you'll want to try the MIDI cables with some sort of an interface unit (eg. E-MU Xmidi 1X1 USB MIDI interface or similar).

I was not able to find a manual for your unit except from one website which tried to install some malware on my computer. If you have a manual on hand, you may want to look at headings such as "MIDI connections" or "connecting to a computer" or something like that.

Let us know how it goes. As Steve pointed out above, his was an unusual case that he need to have Composer on before turning on his Roland. If the "traditional" methods don't work for you, you may want to try that one too

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 05-04-2009, 08:30 PM
jaap veneman (veneman)

Default Hello From my experience w

Hello

From my experience with Yamaha keyboards I expect that for using the USB connection of the Abacus you need an Midi-USB driver installed on your PC which is specific designed to connect to the Keyboard OS drivers. For this you can consult your manual of contact WERSI support via www.wersi.de

I checked the WERSI WEBsite for download of such a driver but could not find anything more than the OAS updates.

If you want to use the Midi connections of the Abacus these are standard interface. So you need a pair of midi cables and
a USB-midi interface for your computer, like Edirol UM-2EX
There are quites some of these devices on the market, ask a computershop or music instruments shop. Or search the Internet for shops for USB-Midi.

Some of these devices are a combination of the midi cables (In and Out) and the USB connector. like the Edirol UM-1G (49 US$)

I suggest first to try to sort out the WERSI USB-MIDI driver
availability.

Cheers Jaap
Old 05-04-2009, 08:56 PM
Anthony Cotton (belpertc)

Default Thank you for your replies. I

Thank you for your replies. I will try and get the driver first then the options for USB or MIDI cables.
I will report back when I have followed up as necessary.

Thanks again

Tony