Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Share Your Music > "Learning and Teaching" pieces

"Learning and Teaching" pieces Arrangements for helping aspiring musicians learn to play from sheet music.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-03-2016, 05:08 PM

Default Ruffo’s Lament Duet

“Ruffo’s Lament” (pronounced “Roof-O”) is a departure for me. I called it a Lament due to the somber nature of the theme. For starters, it is my original composition -- at least I believe it to be. I have heard so much music over my 70+ years that I cannot be absolutely certain that I am not “borrowing” from some other composer. At Berklee back in the ‘60s, I was a composition major, but almost all of my training involved arranging someone else’s music. There were requisite composition exercises and a small orchestral piece, plus my one attempt at the popular song format, but composing was not high on my list.

If you would like to hear the swing band version of this piece, go to:

http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=32645

The opening segment is marked “rubato”, or free-form without a set tempo. It would be possible in Composer to simulate this, but not really worth the time to put it in. The bridge (pickup notes in measure 18) is to be played with a light swing feel.

Please note the final eighth notes in measures 2, 6, 10, 27, 31 and 35. These notes have sets of parentheses around them and a dot over the note. These are “ghost” notes or swallowed notes. They are meant to be played more like an echo. If you look under the covers you will see that I have delayed the attack by 60 ticks, shortened the duration to 60 ticks and set the Note Velocity set to 55, almost half of the velocity of neighboring notes. When you let Composer play this, you will hear a distinct difference in the sound of these notes. The first usage I had ever heard of this “ghosting” is in the berry vendor’s song in George Gershwin’s opera, “Porgy and Bess”. It is frequently used in jazz/swing writing.

We hope you enjoy this piece.

Ralph Rayner
Attached Files
File Type: not Ruffo's Lament Duet.not (41.0 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by rrayner; 08-24-2016 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Updated File