Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Technical area > Questions or problems

Questions or problems Have a question or problem about something you can't find in the Help/Users Guide? Ask it here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-26-2008, 05:42 PM
Bill Curran (billc)

Default I have spent hours trying to d

I have spent hours trying to do the following one note at a time. There's got to be a better way.

I am preparing midi files for for 2 choir (Lots of music!) that are needed to members to learn their parts. I start with a midi file I've created with OCR music scanning software.

The originals have two staves, treble and base clefts, representing 4 to 8 voice parts (depending on whether a part or parts divide - like tenor divides into 1st and 2nd tenors).

My job is to divide the those staves into individual staves for each part. [Then, (This part I can do easily), I create leaning midi files for each part the emphasizes the one part over the others in playback.]

The attached midi is a typical example. The first staff has Soprano and Alto; the second staff has Tenor and Bass. I need to create a 4 stave piece, one staff for each part.

Here's what I've been doing (I'll explain my difficulties after).

1 - I clone the staves, so that I have 4, 2 treble and 2 bass.
2 - I select the first staff.
3 - I select from the [Region] menu [non-melody notes]. Deleting these leaves melody notes, soprano.
4 - I select the second staff.
5 - I select from the [Region] menu [top melody notes]. Delete them leaving the alto notes.
6 - Same as the above for tenor and bass.

The problems are:
1 - in many places the parts merge to sing the same notes. It's hard to edit back in the notes after the fact. Is there a way to edit the unison notes to be duplicates of the same note, one for each part, before I clone the staves?
2 - When I have divisis, a part dividing into 1st and 2nd (eg: tenor into 1st and 2 tenor) and merging to one again all over the place it becomes unmanageable for me as the steps above do not work.

The number of titles I have to do this for make note by note edits impossible in the time i have to do them. Please help me automate this better.

Thanks

Bill<center><table border=1><tr><td>Sample file for Staff to parts division
Christus pro nobis pa - copy for Composer support.mid (11.4 k)</td></tr></table></center>