Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Technical area > Questions or problems

Questions or problems Have a question or problem about something you can't find in the Help/Users Guide? Ask it here!

Old 06-25-2010, 08:50 AM
Active User

Default Staff Repeat not Working V2.6

Hello again,

I have a tune here which completely ignores the staff repeat at bar 8. The file was originally created in 2.5 but the repeat has been added since 2.6. Am I doing something wrong?

Another weird thing: copying and pasting the E and the G quavers in the first bar (in region mode) also grabs the tune title and pastes that along with the notes. Should that happen?

Iain
Attached Files
File Type: not Tuamgraney Castle.not (14.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 06-25-2010, 08:57 AM
Active User

Default Re: Staff Repeat not Working V2.6

Well I've answered the first part myself - forgot about the start repeat!

Even so I don't recall seeing start repeats in normal notation. Is it just left out for convenience?

Anyway I would still like an answer to my second question about the copying and pasting.

Best,
Iain
Old 06-25-2010, 12:19 PM

Location: Balderson, Ontario, Canada, 100 kms (60 miles) from Ottawa

Hello, Ian:

To get the repeats working properly in Taumgraney Castle, you'll need to add a repeat start at the first full bar (bar 2), then a 1st ending at bar 9 with your pickup added to beat 4, then a 2nd ending in a new bar 10 with the contents of current bar 9. While leaving out the repeat start and the multiple endings is a shorthand way to notate repeats for experienced performers, it's probably more than can be expected for a computer to understand it.

The "title" text copies with the bar because you've input as Free Text, which is attached to the bar. To make it a title, attached to a page, use Page Text and the Song Title and Authors box under the File menu. Create a Page Text object (Text tool/P icon), then click on the small word Title in the text tool bar or type <songtitle> in the Page Text box.

Good luck,

David
Old 06-25-2010, 12:34 PM
Active User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj View Post
Hello, Ian:

The "title" text copies with the bar because you've input as Free Text, which is attached to the bar. To make it a title, attached to a page, use Page Text and the Song Title and Authors box under the File menu. Create a Page Text object (Text tool/P icon), then click on the small word Title in the text tool bar or type <songtitle> in the Page Text box.
Thanks very much David. Yes, I pretty much figured it out just after I sent the post - haven't used NC for awhile.

I use Free Text as I can then position the title on the printed page where I want it but under Song Title I was never happy with where it was placed. Not sure if that can be changed or not. So the "free text" is not quite as free as it seems.

Thanks again,
Iain