Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Using Notation Software products with other (third party) products

Using Notation Software products with other (third party) products Find out from others, or share your experience, about integrating Notation Software products with sound libraries, audio processing software, and other hardware and software products.

Old 10-23-2006, 12:56 PM
John Smith (johnsmi)

Default This is really a GPO problems

This is really a GPO problems I think but has some bearing on MNC music contributions sent in by composers to this forum.

I downloaded a MNC composition the other night intending to hear it play on GPO at the local college (where they have GPO). However it proved impossible to load the GPO orchestral sounds as GPO insisted on searching the entire disc drive (starting at C for the sound patches! Needless to say this would take hours to load. There seemed no way to tell GPO where the sound lib was! User created GPO templates work just fine. I wonder therefore if

a) This is a known problem (can't find anything on GPO forum)
and someone hear knows a workaround

b) Users sending in MNC composition could include the GPO template in their posts? (As I'd really like to hear their work).
Thanks
-John

ps I was thinking of buying GPO V2 and would like to use it with MNC but if this problem exists in V2 as well, it means I would be unable to use any GPO distributed templates :-( The thought of creating them all from the beginning does not appeal as I don't have the time.

Anyone using V2 and can tell me please?

pps I would ask on the GPO support but that seems only for registered users.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:08 PM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy John, That's real

Howdy John,

That's really nice that you have a way to try out GPO before you buy it, but I can understand not wanting to wait for an hour to find the instrument library

So, do I understand correctly that if you have the .gpo or .studio file, that you can double click that file and get the GPO Studio to come up, fully loaded, and then play the file from Composer? Or the converse situation, that you start Studio, then start to load an instrument sound, and the computer starts searching and can't find anything?

I have GPO, and am using the version 2.0 Studio on my computer. I have 2 hard drives, and I have both the GPO library as well as the GPO Studio installed on the same hard drive (c: ), so I've not had the problem that you've experienced.
I don't see anything, either in the Studio to tell it where to look for the library, and it's been so long since my original installation that I don't remember if that's part of the install/setup process or not. Maybe someone else knows.

Another thought occurs to me, in that you may need to be sure you've got the GPO Studio running _before_ you start Composer. This isn't an issue for me on my computer since my initial setup, but not knowing what the setup is there, it may be an issue in your scenario.

Anyway, I think it's a very reasonable request that if someone creates a song file that they intend to use with GPO that they include the .gpo (v 1.x) or .studio (v 2.0) file to go with it. If the file is not included with a composition here on the forum, perhaps you could email that user directly, or post in that thread, requesting the GPO Studio file. It would be easy enough to send it to you or post it here on the forum.

You also said:
I was thinking of buying GPO V2 and would like to use it with MNC but if this problem exists in V2 as well, it means I would be unable to use any GPO distributed templates :-(

I'm not sure I understand why you wouldn't be able to use GPO distributed templates with Composer - I thought that part worked? Where am I confused?

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 10-23-2006, 05:46 PM
John Smith (johnsmi)

Default Thanks for your reply/help.

Thanks for your reply/help.

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

So, do I understand correctly that if you have the .gpo or .studio file, that you can double click that file and get the GPO Studio to come up, fully loaded, and then play the file from Composer? Or the converse situation, that you start Studio, then start to load an instrument sound, and the computer starts searching and can't find anything?<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

The template files have suffix .gpo on this settup.
There is no problem getting GPO to work with MNC.
The problem is purely regarding GPO templates.
If I create a GPO template myself (start GPO studio etc and load the sounds) - then save the result as a .GPO file, then no problems. I can reload that file later and use it as a template for new or existing work.

However, if I try to load a .GPO template from the Garritan distribution files drive:\progFiles\garritan\studio\template (think that's correct path), then the problem starts. I can see the pulldown list of templates in Garritan (the distn ones that is), but, when I click to select one (any one of them), garritan fails to find any .wav files it needs to load up the player. It then offers me a chance to search the entire disc for the samples! If (being optimistic) I say Yes, it starts at C:. As there are several partitions this literally could take hours to do - and that search is per-sample-note I think!

I have GPO, and am using the version 2.0 Studio on my computer. I have 2 hard drives, and I have both the GPO library as well as the GPO Studio installed on the same hard drive (c: ), so I've not had the problem that you've experienced.
<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Ah I see. In your case then I think it is ok because GPO starts with C: anyway. AFAIK there is no option I can set to tell GPO where it's own sample files are! Also the path shown in the wiindow is read-only so I cannot edit it to change the path. It could well be that the GPO has not been installed correctly I don't know, however as I have no control over that and didn't do the installation myself.

I could put together my own .gpo files but that seems a lot of work as they already exist.

Last night I found this on the GPO forum...
• INSTALL GPO ON THE DEFAULT DRIVE - Sometimes issues arise where it is being installed. To be safe it is recommended that GPO be installed on the default location which is usually the boot drive. IT may be easiest to do an "Easy Install" or install all listed components.

There is no way I could install like that on my system due to the sizing of various partition - plus I don't generally like major applications living on the boot drive anyway.

Another thought occurs to me, in that you may need to be sure you'vegot the GPO Studio running _before_ you start Composer. This isn't an issue for me on my computer since my initial setup, but not knowing what the setup is there, it may be an issue in your scenario<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

I'm sure the start order is correct thanks.

Anyway, I think it's a very reasonable request that if someone createsa song file that they intend to use with GPO that they include the .gpo (v 1.x) or .studio (v 2.0) file to go with it.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Yes maybe that could do asked for somehow from contributors? I don't know how - the board admin person could post something to this effect maybe? I find people tend to change the templates quite a bit anyway and it would be nice to be able to just down load an MNC piece and hear it straight away.

I'm not sure I understand why you wouldn't be able to use GPO
distributed templates with Composer - I thought that part worked?
Where am I confused?<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Probably my less that clear initial post - I hope I've explained it a bit better here.

btw the MNC tutorial on the GPO site is excellent.

Thanks again,
-John Smith
Old 10-24-2006, 10:54 AM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy John, As far as I kno

Howdy John,

As far as I know, the distributed templates themselves are not copyrighted or anything like that, so you could (if possible on your system) simply copy them over to where the others are that you have (which work), and open them from there. It seems to be a matter of pathway, rather than that the templates themselves are "bad".

Are they both (GPO library and GPO Studio) installed in the same partition on this system? Perhaps double-clicking the template that you want to use might work?

My guess (though it's only that) is that wherever you install it, both the Studio and the Library have to be on the same hard drive (or in the same partition). I don't see any way to change it after the fact, so the installation would need to be done "right" the first time.

You might want to check the Kontakt site, too, since it's essentially their player.

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 12-25-2006, 10:26 PM
Fred Winterling (harbor1)

Default Hi Sherry, Wow! I really fee

Hi Sherry,
Wow! I really feel stupid. I can't get past the 1st page of the GPO Tutorial. I can't even bring up GPO Studio. When I installed the program I left all the check marks to load everything, but all I get when clicking on the GPO icon is the Kontakt Player and I can load instruments into it. None of the tutorial files listed in the tutorial with the file extension .gpo can be accessed to download. Not on Notation.com nor on garritan.com . Not only that but the kontakt player has horrible latency and I cant get that working correctly either. Help! Thanks a bunch.

Cheers,
Fred
Old 12-25-2006, 10:27 PM

Default Hi again Sherry, P.S. How do

Hi again Sherry,
P.S. How do you open GPO STudio?
Fred
Old 12-25-2006, 11:00 PM

Default Hi Sherry, Oops! You can scra

Hi Sherry,
Oops! You can scratch most of the above. I got a little smarter and decided to read further. I did not know I had to download GPO STudio from the web site. I checked the box to include it when I installed GPO, but that wasn't enough. I now have Studio so I can go on further with the tutorial. However, I still can not download any of the .gpo files. My browser tells me the page does not exist. Thanks again!

Cheers,
FRed
Old 12-25-2006, 11:07 PM
Clyde (clyde)

Default Hi Fred, (Fred I was wr

Hi Fred,

(Fred I was writing this when you found your own way - but I will send it anyway).

I found the the first thing to get going with GPO is just the Garritan software without the Studio. By the Garritan software, I mean you load the software, and when you click on the icon (it is an orange colour) you get ONE Knotatk Garritan Keyboard up.

Once you have got that, you have at least loaded the software. The next step is to test that. The steps for that are:

(a) Go to the 'Load' button on that Garritan Keyboard, and load any instrument. You will notice that the keyboard range for that instrument goes a grey-blue colour.

(b) Move the 'mod' wheel to about 50%.

(c) Click with the mouse on any note in the instrument range, and it should sound.

If this works, then you have got the Garritan software installed correctly.

The next major step is the GPO.

With tha version I have of GPO (which was over 12 months ago), you had to download the GPO separately from the Garritan web page:
http://www.garritan.com/downloads.html (For some reason they didn't put this on the CDs that came with the bulkbuy - that may have changed with the current release).

Anyway, once you have that installed, you should have another icon on your desktop. (This is a Black icon with a white conductor in it).

To test this you click on the icon and you get the Garritan Studio panel:

This allows you to open up 6 Keyboards.

Cheers ... Clyde
Old 12-25-2006, 11:12 PM
Clyde (clyde)

Default Hi Fred, About downloading

Hi Fred,
About downloading those GPO files, I had the same problem, but your have to 'right click' on them and then do a 'Save Target as' and that will download them.

Hope that helps ... Clyde
Old 12-25-2006, 11:35 PM

Default Hi Clyde, Thanks for the help

Hi Clyde,
Thanks for the help! I didn't know the Mod Wheel should be set to about 50%. I now have all the software, but I can't get to the page to download the files with the .gpo extension. This is what I get when trying to get to the page to download them:

This is the url given in the Tutorial:
www.notation.com/MidiNotateComposerGPOTutorialFiles/MidiNotateComposerGPOEx.gpo

and this is the error the browser brings up:
"The XML page cannot be displayed
Cannot view XML input using style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

The system cannot locate the object specified. Error processing resource 'http://www.notation.com/MidiNotateComposerGPOTuto... "

I have no idea what "style sheet" is so therefore can not correct the error as they suggest.
I think I would be OK if I could download those .gpo file extensions.
Thanks again,
Fred
Old 12-25-2006, 11:48 PM
Clyde (clyde)

Default Hi Fred, The 'mod

Hi Fred,

The 'mod' wheel is actually the volume control, and this is one of the differences with GPO. So in your Composer scores, the first thing you need to do is to add a 'mod' wheel command to each channel you are sending out to GPO, otherwise it will sound very soft.

Mark has a very good section in the notes on GPO about how volume, loudness and the mod wheel all affect the end result. You need to be aware of this to get a good sound out of GPO - but you probably won't get that far today. The 50% I suggested is just for testing, otherwise you may not have heard anything when you did the simple test.

I'm puzzled that the right click on the GPO didn't work for you. This is what I get when I right click (no left click)on that same link:

Cheers ... Clyde
Old 12-25-2006, 11:50 PM
Clyde (clyde)

Default Hi Fread, Oops - my picture

Hi Fread,
Oops - my pictures used a PDF file, but the same thing happens on the GPO file:

Clyde
Old 12-26-2006, 03:04 AM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Hi Fred, Clyde has you head

Hi Fred,

Clyde has you headed in the right direction. I'll have to take a look about the files that you can't access. We've been doing a lot of website work lately, and something may have gotten misplaced.

I think the Studio doesn't come on the CD because they have updated it a couple of times since the original version, and it may just be easier for them to keep the latest version on the server rather than burning copies to CD and then users having to update with a download anyway.

Also, you may want to periodically check the Updates page at www.garritan.com (or Downloads, I think it's labelled), as they put updates to the libraries there occasionally, and as a registered user all updates to the libraries you own are free.

The mod wheel is not just a straight volume controller for Garritan libraries, it also encompasses the dynamics of an instrumentalist playing at a louder volume. So for a dynamic change (for example, an increase) with the mod wheel, you won't just get the same timbre of sound at a higher level of volume, you'll also get the dynamics of that louder sound - those differences are obviously unique for each instrument.

Play around with it just using the one Player for a while, to get a feel for what the different controllers can do for the performance of given instruments. With the "X Custom" instruments especially, there are controllers all over the place to adjust different aspects of the instrument performance. After just playing around with the controllers and hearing what they do, the Graphic Controls that Mark has incorporated for the various MIDI controllers will make it extremely easy to use them when you're putting together a score/performance in Composer.

You're in for a ton of fun

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 12-26-2006, 03:14 AM
Clyde (clyde)

Default Hi Sherry, I think the prob

Hi Sherry,
I think the problem with downloading the '.gpo' files is that the browser doesn't know what to do with it, and consquently tries to load it as a web page.

That is why it works if you do a right click and then a 'save target as', as you are telling the browser to simply copy it to your PC.

I think the best solution for the GPO notes is to put the '.gpo' file in a zip file, as the browser knows what to do with zip files (if you have an unzip program installed, which most people do).

(PS: I had the some problem with Fred several yseras ago, and I still have it, even though I reloaded my XP only last week. So I don't think it is confined to Fred's system).

Cheers ... Clyde
Old 12-26-2006, 04:27 AM

Default Hi Clyde & Sherry, Thanks

Hi Clyde &amp; Sherry,
Thanks for the concern you are showing for my problem. The .not files and the midi file downloads fine from the same location. However, a right click and 'save target as' results in a download of the file as an xml file. I've tried renaming it and downloading it from both loctations with same result. The xml file does me no good. I don't know that that is a problem using the software, but I would really like to use the tutorial so I know I am doing everything right. I'm uploading the file result to show you what I am getting. Thanks again!
Cheers,
Fred<center><table border=1><tr><td>gpo file (xml)
MidiNotateComposerGPOEx.xml (94.5 k)</td></tr></table></center>
Old 12-26-2006, 04:29 AM

Default THis is the error that pops up

THis is the error that pops up when trying to open the file:

The XML page cannot be displayed
Cannot view XML input using style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The system cannot locate the object specified. Error processing resource 'http://www.notation.com/discus/messages/26888/gpo...

Fred
Old 12-26-2006, 04:53 AM
Clyde (clyde)

Default Hi Fred, I've downloade

Hi Fred,
I've downloaded the two GPO files in the document (I think there are only two), and put them together as a ZIP file, and attached to theis document.

<center><table border=1><tr><td>GPO_Files
GPO_Files.zip (109.0 k)</td></tr></table></center>

Hope that helps you.

Cheers ... Clyde
Old 12-26-2006, 06:08 PM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy guys, Thanks Clyde fo

Howdy guys,

Thanks Clyde for zipping up those files and posting them here. That's a nicely-done workaround for folks who have trouble getting the .gpo files for whatever reason.

For Fred, did you rename your downloaded files before downloading, or after downloading? If your browser thinks it's smarter than you, and is renaming .gpo files to .xml as it's downloading them, then just rename it after. If I'm missing the whole point here, can you please give me a blow-by-blow description of what you're doing and what message it's giving you.

Also, what browser are you using? I'm using Firefox 1.5.0.9, and I love it. I have a variety of extensions that I've downloaded along with it that make web surfing and downloading files really easy. I see that Internet Explorer 7 has emulated the Firefox model quite heavily, which is a bit of a new way of doing things for MS. If you're using IE7, there may be some bugs with the download application(s) that need working out yet.

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 12-26-2006, 08:40 PM

Default Hi Sherry, I tried renaming

Hi Sherry,

I tried renaming the files after downloading them, but Windows would not let it happen. It continued to add the xml extension even after renaming the file. I am using IE6. One of my programs ( can/t remember which) advised not to download IE7 because there were issues that caused problems. I don't even remember what they were, but I just haven't downloaded IE7 because of remembering that. Anyway, the zipped files worked ok so I just got rid of the others.
Thanks for the help!
Cheers,
Fred
Old 12-28-2006, 04:49 PM

Default Hi Sherry and everybody! Ca

Hi Sherry and everybody!

Can anybody tell me how to save a file in Composer that consists of both GPO instruments and general midi instruments? When I try to do it, the file saves and reverts everthing back to MS GW Wavetable device in the staff setup.
Also, both Audacity and the Windows Sound Recorder (which both record 'as heard by') will not record if GPO Studio is open. So far, the only thing I can save are wave files through GPO Studio where only GPO instruments are used on every staff. Thanks for any help!
\
Cheers,
Fred
Old 12-28-2006, 05:07 PM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy Fred, Hmm.... I ju

Howdy Fred,

Hmm....

I just tried creating a file that used both GPO instruments as well as some soundfonts, saved the file, then reopened it in the same session. The Staff/Setup showed that the devices, banks and instruments were just as I had saved them. So I'm unable to reproduce your observation with the following steps:

1. Open an existing file (three instruments) and click Staff/Setup.
2. In the Staff Setup dialog, use the drop list to set the Device for the first staff to "GPO 1", and channel 1.
3. Set the Device for the other two staves to "SB Audigy 2 synth A", channel 2, 001 grand piano.
4. Click "Ok."
5. Use "File/Save as" to save the file with a different name than the original.
6. Close the song.
7. Reopen the song file and check Staff/Setup to check the Devices, channels, and instrument assignments. They're just as I saved them.

How do your steps differ from mine so as to produce the "non-saved settings" file?

Also, I've used Audacity to record "What you hear" when I use a mix of soundfonts and GPO (I've not tried out the Windows Sound Recorder). For my setup, I also have to be sure that the sound level slider for "What you hear" is all the way up - for some reason it seems to get set to 0 sometimes when working with GPO. You might want to check your soundcard settings.

Another recommendation for recording here is to use the ASIO driver ASIO4all (available at www.asio4all.com) It's free, and it makes getting all the ASIO information synchronized between your recording software and the GPO Kontakt player. It also will help you get any latency matching done much easier if you're using multiple devices.

I hope something here is helpful!

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 12-28-2006, 05:59 PM

Default Hi Sherry, quote: I just t

Hi Sherry,

quote:
I just tried creating a file that used both GPO instruments as well as some soundfonts, saved the file, then reopened it in the same session. The Staff/Setup showed that the devices, banks and instruments were just as I had saved them. So I'm unable to reproduce your observation with the following steps:

1. Open an existing file (three instruments) and click Staff/Setup.
2. In the Staff Setup dialog, use the drop list to set the Device for the first staff to "GPO 1", and channel 1.
3. Set the Device for the other two staves to "SB Audigy 2 synth A", channel 2, 001 grand piano.
4. Click "Ok."
5. Use "File/Save as" to save the file with a different name than the original.
6. Close the song.
7. Reopen the song file and check Staff/Setup to check the Devices, channels, and instrument assignments. They're just as I saved them.

How do your steps differ from mine so as to produce the "non-saved settings" file?

1. I did not try to save the file with a different name. I just tried to save it as a midi file with the same name.
2. My sound card is Realteck AC 97 Audio ( synth is MS GW Wavetable )

When trying to record the file using GPO, it will not record the general midi staves, only the GPO instruments.
When pressing the record button in Audacity and Sound Recorder ( to record what it hears) it tells me it can not record that type of file (or words to that effect) as long as GPO Studio is open. If the Studio is not open, you don't hear the GPO instruments at all.

As a side note, Windows Sound Recorder is a top notch wave recorder. It will only record 60 seconds however, unless you "trick" it into recording longer. I created a 10 minute wave file in Audacity (copying a smaller file and pasting it at the end a few times to make it 10 minutes long) then open the file in Sound Recorder and you can record up to 10 minutes ( or 10 hours if you want to copy and paste that many times...of course the file would be 8000 MB long instead of 80 MB).

I am going to try saving a file using a different name as you suggested above. Assuming that that works, would you then be able to hear the GPO instrument sound without having to open GPO STudio? Also, does it matter if the file is saved as midi or .not file?

Thanks again!
Fred
Old 12-28-2006, 09:09 PM

Default Hi Sherry, I saved the file

Hi Sherry,

I saved the file as you instructed above, using 3 instruments. Saved it with a different file and name and it saved the file as desired. However, I also saved it with a different name as a midi file and it only worked in the current session. When I closed Composer and re-opened it and opened the midi file, the GPO staff reverted back to General Midi. That's puzzling.

As far as recording, Audacity and Sound And Record will not record with GPO Studio open.

In Audacity, the error states " Error while opening sound device. Please check the input device settings and the project sample rate" I can't see anything out of whack there.

In Sound Recorder, the error states " Your audio cannot record into files like the current file. To record, create a new document".

It's looking more and more like I made the biggest mistake of my life asking for GPO and JABB. If I am the only person who gets to hear the instruments, what good is it? If I write a piece with GPO instruments, at this point I would have to invite everyone to my house in order for them to listen to it. If it were possible to return software, I would do it in a heartbeat. I realize I may be the only person who is having these problems, but nonetheless, it is still very disappointing. I have 36 hours invested so far, and have gotten nowhere. If you could wave a magic wand over my head, I sure would appreciate it. Thanks again for all your help and any further suggestions.

P.S. I feel certain I could accomplish what I want if I use GPO or JABB instruments for every staff. At least GPO Studio would save the wave file and I could convert it to MP3 to save space. That would mean I would have to completely re-write everything with just one note in each staff. OH boy!

Cheers,
Fred
Old 12-28-2006, 09:42 PM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hi Fred, I haven't inst

Hi Fred,

I haven't installed Audacity on the new machine, but I just checked in Acoustica and it has a lot of recording source options. If you can set Audacity, or any other recorder, for wave as the source, it might be worth a try. Total Recorder has a set up where you can record from other software--it has its own recording engine--so you might get the free trial of that, too. (It was only about $11 to buy and has them all beat). Worth a try.

Since you get a failure to open sound device, I'm just guessing that you might need a different source. But, again, it shouldn't hurt anything to give it a go.

Goooood Luck and lots of it,

best,
mgj
Old 12-28-2006, 10:06 PM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy Fred, Ah - you won

Howdy Fred,

Ah - you won't be able to save the device configuration in the MIDI file as it's not part of the MIDI format. The device setup that you give a file is only saved in the .not version of the file.

As for the recording difficulties, you'll need to be sure that all your driver bit rate settings are in agreement, or you won't be able to record. It is a bit of work at first to make sure that everything is all set up in the proper "agreement" configurations, but well worth the time spent. The two biggest factors are the (1) bit depth and (2) sampling rate. These two parameters have to be in agreement, or your recording either won't work at all, or it will sound really bizarre. 16 bit is the CD standard, and a sampling rate of 44,100 Hz is pretty universal for most "hobbyist" audio recording setups.

You'll need to set your recording software as well as the output on the Studio player for JBB and GPO (Settings/Audio driver) to those parameters.

If you want to do some reading, you can google "audio computer record primer" and browse through some of the docs that come up there.

Don't despair Fred - it'll be worth it when you get the setup running!

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 12-28-2006, 10:40 PM

Default Hi MG, I'll have to che

Hi MG,

I'll have to check them both out (Acoustica and Total Recorder). My Audacity has not been able to record since last year when my computer crashed and I had to re-install Windows XP (SP2) and then a second time a few months ago had to do the same thing. It was fine before that. I can only use Audacity now to open a wav file and export it as MP3. The Windows Sound recorder would record everything including a fly landing on my head, but it will not even try with GPO open. You would think that for the price they should be more compatible. Thanks for the suggestions! I won't give up, I'll just keep crying

Cheers,
Fred
Old 12-28-2006, 10:49 PM

Default Hi Sherry, Thanks for the s

Hi Sherry,

Thanks for the suggestions! I never had a problem with Audacity before my computer crashes. (Windows XP SP2 with all the updates available) May be something there. When I upgraded to Windows Media Player 11, it muted my Wave volume every time I played a midi file in it. I finally uninstalled it and rolled back to Windows Media Player 9 and now there are no problems. They should change the word update to screw-up!
I went into Audacity and clicked on every "16" I could find, including my age. Would it be possible to send me screen shots of the important dialog boxes for preferrences in Audacity that you have your's set to? That could be big help, even though we may have different sound cards or Operating Systems. It could give me some idea where something may not look right in mine.
Thanks again for your help! I know I am a cry baby. You should hear me when I hit my finger with a paper clip.

Cheers,
Fred
Old 12-28-2006, 10:56 PM
Clyde (clyde)

Default Hi Fred, I haven't bee

Hi Fred,
I haven't been following the thread in detail, but I noticed you indicated that you couldn't get Audacity to record.

I use Audacity often to do that, but it has to be recording the right source, and I found that if I need to use it to record Composer playing then that has to be the stereo mix:

This (I think) is recording everything that goes through your card, so you need to be careful about having other programs running at the same time which will put a 'beep' through your sound card (eg like Outlook Express when some mail arrives). A downside of doing it this way is that Audacity will record the 'electrical noise' in your system as well.

By the way, I have often done what you are asking here, trying to combine the output from two sources (in my case it was Roland VSC-3, and Virtual singer (a simulated voice)). I used a useful program from Goldwave called 'Multiquence' to combine wave files (and you can shift them in time to line up the wave files) - see http://www.goldwave.com/ . There maybe better and cheaper programs, but mine is one of the early versions and it was cheap then.

Cheers ... Clyde
Old 12-28-2006, 11:05 PM

Default Hi all, Just to give you so

Hi all,

Just to give you some idea what is in store if I have to re-arrange everything using GPO. I just split the drum staves in Funky Salsa. That produced 36 drum lines. Now can I get a "Aw, you poor thing"?
Oh goody! I just realized if I did that in the drum and bugle corps thing it would produce 216 drum lines!

Cheers,
Fred
Old 12-28-2006, 11:21 PM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy Fred, For the above m

Howdy Fred,

For the above mentioned parameters to set in Audacity, they're located in Edit/Preferences, where you'll see a tabbed dialog box with a lot of various options. The first three tabs - Audio IO, Quality, File formats - are the ones of most importance.

Also, as Clyde points out above, you'll need to be recording the correct source, and that source listing as he shows above varies depending on the sound card that is in your computer. For Clyde, it's "stereo mix", for me it's "What you hear". You'll need to check your options there, which will be specific to your soundcard.

Then, after you've got the ASIO4All driver installed use the GPO/JBB Studio (Settings/Preferences) to set the sample rate. Then, use the Studio's "Settings/Preferences/Audio Control Panel" to setup the ASIO4All driver parameters.

I know it sounds like a lot of stuff, but essentially what you're doing is just making sure that all the links in the chain are speaking the same language (bit depth and sampling rate). After you've got that all set up, you should be in business.

ttfn,
Sherry