Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Share Your Music

Share Your Music Share your .not or .mid files of your arrangements or compositions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-23-2011, 03:43 AM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)
Default Re: "Chesapeake Swing Band Medley #1"

Hey Ralph,

I needed this this evening - thanks for posting it (I've been listening to your mp3 version)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrayner View Post
The "Chesapeake Swing Band" is a dance/swing band centered in Southern Maryland and headed up by my friend, Jim Meadows.
That would be so, so fun!

Quote:
Back in my school days, 50 years ago, this style would be referred to as "commercial" -- something that has a happy, danceable sound to it, without getting too close to the jazz idiom, but with a little bit of swing. The voicings are intentionally "plain vanilla" -- not much richness in the chords, except in the final ending, but I think it comes off fairly well. The musical cliches are intentional. Also, there are no drum fills -- just solid rhythm, keeping the songs moving.
I find that having this type of "plain vanilla", though, really gives some "structured room" for taking off into some improv, which can be a lot of fun for the musicians.

Quote:
I'm not pleased with the choppiness of the sax solis (ensembles), but I haven't found a way to smooth them out.
You might want to try changing the note durations just a tad for those sections. The default setting for Composer is to have the note "ons" start a few ticks after the "strict" timing of the note, and to have the "note offs" a few ticks shy of the "strict" timing, to give more definition to each note. You can alter the durations/attacks of any note (or all added notes) a few different ways. The easiest is to just click on the note(s) you want to edit and use the "A" key plus left arrow key to increase the duration to the left (the "attack" location), or the "D" key plus right arrow key to increase the duration (length) of the note. If you first go to Piano Roll, and click on the "Edit as performed" button first, the notation will stay the way it is, but the performance of the notes will change.

Quote:
Note that I have left the "swing notation" (quarter/eighth note triplets) in place. I've had some problems with the "swing to standard" conversion.
Please let me know if there's a problem that we can work on, either here or (perhaps better) at the helpdesk.

All that said, very smooth medley arrangement, which did much to sooth my "blustery day" I'm saving this one to practice with!

ttfn,
Sherry