Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Share news about music

Share news about music Do you have some news about music that you'd like to share with others? Here's the place.

Old 07-02-2014, 03:20 PM

Default "Red Snapper" (Live In Studio) - The Airmen Of Note featuring Bobby Shew

For those of you who might not know, the "Airmen of Note" are the jazz band contingent of the USAF Band, stationed in Washington, DC.

Below is a link to a relatively current video of the Note.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGo4Q...are_video_user

It kind of starts out like the Note is just warming up, with Bobby and the rhythm just jamming, but then it opens up to full ensemble.

The personnel are listed as:

Bobby Shew, composer. Don Menza, arranger. Saxophones: Tyler Kuebler (lead), Andy Axelrad, Ted Baker, Grant Langford, Doug Morgan. Trumpets: Brian MacDonald (lead), Kevin Burns, Tim Leahey, Luke Brandon. Trombones: Ben Patterson (lead), Jeff Martin, Kevin Cerovich, Ben Polk (bass). Rhythm: Geoff Reecer (guitar), Steve Erickson (piano), Cameron Kayne (bass), David McDonald (drums). Featuring Bobby Shew, flugelhorn.

I thought the performance by the Note was very mechanical and unemotional, until Tyler Kuebler (lead alto) responded to Bobby Shew's remark by saying, "That was the first time we played it." WOW!! Cold sightread for this very complex chart! Wuff! What more can I say -- we know this guys are in a class by themselves.

Ralph
Old 07-03-2014, 03:56 AM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)
Default Re: "Red Snapper" (Live In Studio) - The Airmen Of Note featuring Bobby Shew

Howdy Ralph,

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrayner View Post
I thought the performance by the Note was very mechanical and unemotional, until Tyler Kuebler (lead alto) responded to Bobby Shew's remark by saying, "That was the first time we played it." WOW!! Cold sightread for this very complex chart! Wuff! What more can I say -- we know this guys are in a class by themselves.
That is the absolute truth!
I was listening to the video and had much the same reaction. I've watched a number of their videos (and have all the recordings I can get my hands on) and these guys are simply amazing.

Just for kicks a while back I picked up their "Bass tryout package". From some classical bass pieces to various other genres, solo as well as comp, written as well as ad lib, arco and pizz - it was a demanding ball of wax
They rock (and swing ), and inspire me to work harder at what I do, too

Thanks for introducing me to the Note, Ralph. I hope others enjoy them too.

ttfn,
Sherry