Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Share Your Music
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search New Posts

Share Your Music Share your .not or .mid files of your arrangements or compositions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-06-2018, 06:57 PM
Senior User

Default Re: Boccherini - Sinfonia in C maj, G.523, 1799

Hi David

Quote:
Certainly a challenge you've given yourself -- transcribing an entire symphony.
Been at it since 2010. Several are posted in this forum. But the Boccherini is the largest and most modern.

Quote:
It's interesting to see the "chitarra" as an instrument in the orchestra. I think the gut-string guitar of the day would have a hard time being heard above the horns and brass.
Only horns in this sinfonia, but yeah, it's not a concerto, so I had questions about how to balance the levels. Here's a version on "authentic" instruments, coincidentally posted recently on YouTube:
https://youtu.be/r28FRXOuSg8

Quote:
I noted also that, at bar 50, the cello line goes from bass clef to tenor clef for three bars. Was that in the original?
Yep. And there's another c-clef used that's not in NC's menu, a soprano clef. There's a pointer to a pdf image of the manuscript at the bottom of my original post.

Quote:
I'm curious as to your feeling that 300 bars is "pushing the limits" of Composer. I have any number of long pieces (up to a half hour in length) and haven't noticed any particular problems associated with length. Have you?
Well, my 2004 XP box only has 2GB memory and a Pentium 4 processor, so that's part of the picture -- the two symptoms I've noticed are 1) slow update on the 300 bar movement when in full score, and 2) inability to export to pdf for even modest-sized scores (even on my 8GB Windows 10 box). Glad to hear you've had success in the half hour range -- encouraging.

By the way, I applaud your take (and accomplishment) on Twain's "Adam and Eve." Longtime Twain fan myself.

Walt
===