Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Share Your Music

Share Your Music Share your .not or .mid files of your arrangements or compositions.

Old 02-24-2005, 07:05 AM
Clyde (clyde)

Default Hi all, Found that [url="

Hi all,

Found that www.sharesong.org is not a bad place to freely publicise your Christian music.

Once registered you can upload: midi, MP3 (limited to about 800kb), lyrics and scores. You can also put a link to your own web site.

There is an approval process for each song, which takes several days.

For users of the music there is also a reporting system to help with CCLI copyright returns (which is the company that handles most Church music).

I've used Sharesong a lot, and all my scores there are Composer scores as PDF files. My songs on the site can be obtained by following this link: http://www.sharesong.org/jazzworship.htm

Cheers ... Clyde
Old 02-26-2005, 04:02 AM
Tim Fatchen (flyingtadpole)

Default Clyde, I'm out of a totall

Clyde, I'm out of a totally different church music background: does sharesong take things like Mass settings? (I've looked but can't find).

On your shared Psalm 23: I'm unfamiliar with BIAB: how was the sort-of-vocals track performed? Through BIAB or do you have a vodor or whatever the thingie is called?

Regards
Tim

http://music.download.com/timfatchen
Old 02-26-2005, 04:33 AM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Clyde, I took a look at you

Clyde,

I took a look at your music at www.sharesong.org. Wow! This is impressive how many songs you have published there. For each song, you've done so much work, most of all, to compose and write the lyrics, but also to publish the music in so many formats: MIDI, MP3, PDF sheet music, and PDF chord chart.

You've shared with me something about how many people have downloaded your music from your own web site. You might be bashful about saying so, but do you have an idea about how many people have listened to your music in various places?

Where else do you publish your music?

I suspect too many of us regard composing as a mostly personal thing, and don't make a big effort to get our music out there. Composers like you who write spiritual music are in a way lucky to be driven to let others here your lyrics, and therefore also your notes. Your efforts here should inspire those of us also who write secular music, to show it to others with similar enthusiasm.

Cheers
-- Mark
Old 02-26-2005, 04:47 AM
Clyde (clyde)

Default Hi Tim, Thanks for your com

Hi Tim,
Thanks for your comments.
In regard to Sharesong, I haven't actually seen any details on their criteria for song inclusion, but I would think they are probably into the more popular 'Praise & Worship' style of music. I know that these days both Protestant and Catholics sing a lot of the same songs.
I would doubt very much if Sharesong would be into anthing like Mass settings, but then I don't really know.

In regard to the vocals. The computerised vocals are done by some French software called 'Virtual singer' from www.myriad-online.com. Its costs about $20US for the Melody Assistant program and you get Virtual singer with that. You supply a midi file with lyrics into virtual singer (eg a midi file from Composer works fine) and the thing sings(?) the words. It sings much better than I do. You can do lots of adjusting to it change the sound, and pronunciation.

BIAB is as the name suggests a Band of 5 instruments. It takes a melody and chords and will play it in the style of virtually any sort of band - mainly jazz, swing, rock, pop styles. It is supplied by www.pgmusic.com.

BIAB also has a music creation process as well, where starting from scratch it will generate a melody and chords. This is a facility I use all the time, as I'm not an original composer of music. The BIAB features allow me to change and redo bits of the generate music until I'm happy with it.

BIAB does have a scoring facility as well, but it pales into insignificance compared to Composer.

Hope that helps. Incidentally, I notice you are from Adelaide in Australia. I'm just along the road from you - used to live in Melbourne, but now gone west to Perth.

Cheers ... Clyde

Old 02-26-2005, 04:59 AM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Clyde, Although I've ow

Clyde,

Although I've owned BIAB for years, I've barely scratched the surface of it. One of these days I'm going to start using it to just jam along with, to improve my jazz improvisation skills.

Here's a question about BIAB I should know the answer to but don't: Once it has generated the music, given the chord progression you have supplied, how much can you can the notes right there in BIAB? Especially, can you adjust the melody notes in BIAB? Or, do you have to export the MIDI file and change the pitches and rhythms of the notes and add/delete notes in some other program, such as in PG Music's PowerTrack Pro or in MidiNotate Composer?

Cheers
-- Mark
Old 02-26-2005, 05:18 AM
Clyde (clyde)

Default Hi Mark, Re your BIAB quest

Hi Mark,
Re your BIAB questions:

(a) How much can you change the melody.
The things that are easy to change in BIAB are the chord names, the melody and the the soloist sections. The melody and soloist section can be edited within BIAB by a number of methods:
- by click and dragging the notes
- by adding new notes in a similiar way to Composer
- by editing the Midi events list.

BIAB has graphical ways to edit the note duration and loudness (by click and drag). Its all pretty easy.

(b) About changing the generated Band performances - well that's a different story. Because BIAB generates the band accompaniment from its style details, all the notes are generated from those fixed styles. But you can change the styles if you know what you are doing. Its simple to change, but its not simple to get a good result. So in reality for normal mortals changing the generated accompinment is not a goes.

(c) However, BIAB does have a automatic style generation where you can play the midi file into BIAB and it will generate the style from the music. I have used this on at least one occasion and it did a great job.

Not too sure if this answers the questions - if not please fire a few more.

Cheers ... Clyde
Old 02-26-2005, 05:22 AM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy guys, I'm jumping

Howdy guys,

I'm jumping in on a couple of items here...

Tim, I don't know about anyone else, but *I'd* be interested in hearing your mass setting A friend of mine wrote a sort of "folk mass" setting some years back (make that about 9), that we did in Latin, with guitar, piano, mandolin, bongos, bowed psaltery, and tambourine (this was in a Protestant church, btw ) It was really fun and challenging musically, and it really gave me an appreciation for the form and flow of the mass service.

Re. Biab and changing anything - I have version 12 (I think Clyde's is newer?), and you can't make any permanent edits to anything except for the melody line, and then only if it's one that you entered or recorded. It was one of the things that frustrated me to no end when I first got it, because something it generated would be so close to what I wanted, but not exactly, so I'd edit it. Well, next time around, the edits would be gone, gone, gone! And if you tried recording a performance and printing out sheet music to match it, you might get the same thing, or you might not

I then found out that each time it "plays" a song, it generates a new performance, unless you use the little "+" button, and then it's not guaranteed to keep the same performance, in my personal experience. This is because what Biab does is to have a number of patterns for each instrument for each particular style, and it puts a particular pattern in each measure based on a weighted scale for each pattern (ie, is it near a style change? is there a chord change? etc.) They do it this way because then when you save a song file, all you're really saving is a pointer(s) to the style file(s) (installed in the "bb" directory) and the chord changes, so those files can remain quite small, even smaller than .mid files.

Anyway, suffice it to say that when my buddy on my church bass list told me about MidiNotate, I was ecstatic! I could get something in Biab that had the feel I was after, then I could save a .mid file, and then edit that and record a performance and give the players the exact sheet music for that performance. I've used this to generate arrangements for lots of music that we play at church, and it's a wonderful thing

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 02-26-2005, 05:27 AM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Oooop - I crossed over Clyde [

Oooop - I crossed over Clyde

Clyde, I'm curious which version of Biab you have. There is a method for v. 12 (which is what I have) to generate a style from .mid files, but it looks (from the reading anyway) to be a bit tedious, and you'd have to have something like Composer to be able to see which measures you wanted to set for A sections, which for B sections, etc. as you can't load the song into Biab until you've determined which measures go for what! Are the later versions better at this? I'm just curious.

ttfn,
Sherry

Old 02-26-2005, 05:44 AM
Clyde (clyde)

Default Hi Mark, Thanks for invitin

Hi Mark,
Thanks for inviting me to share something about my music, and how it being received.

I have been somewhat overwhelmed by the response to my music, to say the least. It just makes me recognise what a wonderful thing the internet is for sharing with others.

Here are some of the details collated from my webcounters. This information is since Christmas, 2004:

(a) Visitors to my site (www.jazzworship.com) - 7,418
(b) Number of songs played - 13,357
(c) Number of MP3 CD's downloaded (5 songs) - 130
(d) Number of music books downloaded (25 songs) - 766
(e) Number of countries - well over 70

I receive a number of interesting e-mails from users of my songs, and these come from around the globe. People seem to appreciate the different style of my music, in that it gives them another option to the older traditional style and newer 'pop/rock' style.

I received an interesting e-mail a week or so ago from a Lutheran Church in St Louis, Missouri - their children's choir had sung one of my songs in their morning service and they sent me an MP3 file of them singing. It was wonderful to hear them, and it warms the heart to think of all these children on the other side of the world using my music. They gave me permisison to put their singing on my web page (see www.jazzworship.com - main page).

Also this week I received from CCLI (Christian Copyright Licencing International) in USA a nice little cheque for royalties. What is interesting about this is the songs that these royalites are paid on. They come from the more traditional songs, like the one on the 'Apostles Creed' and also the ones on the Psalms. So it looks like my songs are being picked up by the more traditional churches as well.

So for me its all very encouraging. I don't think my music will every become mainstream within the Churches, nevertheless there are lots of people who are appreciating it and finding it helpful.

And that is what makes it all worth while.

Thanks again Mark for asking how its going,

Clyde

Old 02-26-2005, 05:59 AM
Clyde (clyde)

Default Hi Sherry, What you wrote

Hi Sherry,

What you wrote about changing the BIAB accompaniment is correct - you can't and each time you play the song it is slightly different. That is why I too appreciate Composer.

I have V2005 of BIAB, but when I used the style creator I had 2004. Its pretty easy to use - just feed the midi file in and set a few simple parameters and it all happens.

But I think it is somehwat dependant on the music that you feed in. If you use a midi file that is a nice little jazz song then BIAB does a great job.

I tried it on a lovely Irish Christian song called 'Ancient Words' which has a beautiful running piano accompaniment. It sort of worked, but results were not good enough to use the style. I think the problem here was more that chord progressions of the Irish music didn't match the BIAB chord progress of its generated music, and so it didn't always insert the best segment of music.

Being an eternal optimist, I feed some Bach music in, as I love the chord progressions in Bach's organ music. I think it was too much for BIAB's tiny brain.

So, I think the answer is - pick your music style, and you may get a good result.

Cheers ... Clyde
Old 02-26-2005, 05:12 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Everyone, Please read Clyde

Everyone,

Please read Clyde's post two posts above. Let that be an inspiration to you, as to how you can share your music with others.

Clyde, this is really heart-warming.

Cheers
-- Mark
Old 04-12-2005, 11:03 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hi Clyde, I thought you sho

Hi Clyde,

I thought you should know that your B70_John_3_16 song has been indelibly etched into my musical memory. It has been serving as a test case for font size editing. I don't really need to play your song just to test font size editing, but I play it anyway sometimes, as a cheery reminder that this sometimes tedious programming work is about music. Your tune has a very catchy melody.

Cheers
-- Mark

Old 04-13-2005, 12:46 AM
Clyde (clyde)

Default Thanks Mark, I'm please

Thanks Mark,
I'm pleased you enjoy the tune.

I think it also illustrates one way in which you can use Composer's part facilities, for in this piece I have a 'standard score' part which is pretty simple, and then as a hidden part all the band parts as generated by BIAB.

I'm looking forward to using 'Player' to present this type of thing on my web site.

Thanks again for your kind comments .... Clyde