Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Technical area > Questions or problems
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search New Posts

Questions or problems Have a question or problem about something you can't find in the Help/Users Guide? Ask it here!

Old 06-14-2014, 04:23 PM
Active User

Default Piano Roll and Note Velocity won't select

It seems that after the first time I use the Piano Roll or Note Velocity tabs I can't go back to them again. When I select either of them, the display flickers and then returns to the previous selection (usually Notes, Rests) The problem persistents until I stop Notation and restart it. What am I doing wrong?

I've had the problem with both versions 2 and 3.
Old 06-14-2014, 05:11 PM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)
Default Re: Piano Roll and Note Velocity won't select

Hi,

I've done a lot of editing with both of these and have not noticed the problem. However, I may have myself unintentionally trained to avoid it If you could give me the precise steps you use that show the problem, it will help us to better figure it out and slate it for fixing.

For example, here's what I just tried out successfully (no problems) going back and forth between Piano Roll and Text/Chord names:

1. Start Composer
  2. Open the last file I was working on from the splash screen
  3. Click the Piano Roll tab (cursor goes to "Select" mode).
  4. Clicked on a note and used "D + Right arrow key" to increase its duration
  5. Click the Text tab
  6. Click the Chord Names button (mouse cursor goes to "Add" mode), then click in the score and add a "D" chord name.
  7. Press Tab to advance to the next chord name spot.
  8. Click the Piano Roll tab again (mouse cursor goes to "Select" mode)
  9. Select the same note as (4) above and use "D + Left arrow key" to decrease it's duration.
No flickering or reversion for me for the above steps. What am I missing?

Thanks,
Sherry
Old 06-14-2014, 05:56 PM
Active User

Not sure I know what sequence got me where I got. I will have to pay more attention to it. It is probably some mode that is not readily apparent to me. I will pay more attention so I can reproduce it.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:20 PM
Active User

The example that you gave me works just fine, but I am still having the problem. For example, this morning,
1. I opened Notation by clicking on a file .not file name
2. I saved the file as a new file and then changed the song title and author from the File menu
3. I deleted all of the notes in the song and added some notes to it one of the parts (about 10). There are two parts in this song.
4. I selected Piano Roll. Just a flicker. I selected Note Velocity. Just a flicker.
5. I stopped Notation and restarted it selecting the new song from the splash menu.
6. I did your example above and it worked.

Last edited by blane245; 10-26-2014 at 01:44 PM. Reason: removed a possible suggestion that was wrong
Old 10-27-2014, 12:25 PM
Product Manager

Hi,

Hmmmm..... I just tried the following steps:

1. Opened a file in Composer 3.0 by double-clicking a .not file in Windows Explorer.
  2. Used Ctrl A to select the entire song (I also tried a song where I clicked the top Staff Select button, held Shift, and clicked the last Staff Select button).
  3. Clicked the "Notes" button on the Notes, Rests tab to select all the notes.
  4. Pressed the "Delete" key on my computer keyboard to delete all the notes.
  5. Used the mouse to enter some new notes
  6. Clicked on the Piano Roll tab. The piano roll blocks correctly showed up on the display. Alternatively/additionally clicked on the Note Velocity tab and correctly see the red vector lines show up for the velocities.

Could you perhaps send me a copy of the parent file that you saw the problem with? There may be something anomalous with the particular file.

Also, just a suggestion. If you have a particular type of file that you use often (eg. a particular ensemble group) for creating new song files, you may want to save a blank one as a template file. That way you don't have to go through the job of deleting everything from a parent file multiple times - just the once to save the template.

To save a Template file, just

1. Clear out everything that you don't want in the template (eg. notes, rehearsal marks, annotations, etc).
  2. You can, however, leave anything that you would want in the song file every time (eg. "Arranged by MyNameHere" or anything like that).
  3. Use File -> Save as Template, and click "yes".
  4. Give the file a name. Hint: if you want the file to be at the top of the list when you use Create a New Song, give it a "!" exclamation point at the beginning of the filename.
  5. Click "Save" to save the file as a template, and exit. Now when you want to create a new song with that type of layout, you can just use Create New, and use your own customized template

You can find out more in Help -> Users Guide, use the Index to look up "template", then select the "creating your own" subtopic.

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 10-30-2014, 10:52 PM
Active User

Thanks for the Template suggestion. I have thought about using them, but I don't use the same sequence very often and find remember the use of templates as hard to remember as copying a previous similar piece and modifying it.

I could send you a parent piece, but actually the problem seems to occur on ALL pieces after I have them open for a while. Some times it is sooner than later. I could open a piece, do a very few modifications and the Piano Roll and Note Velocity will work fine. Other times, I made a few changes and they don't. I have not found a pattern yet. The problem will occur eventually as long as I have Notation running. If I restart it, it goes away for awhile and then come back.

Don't you hate those kinds of problems.

I have attached the most recent file that I have been working with. The problem seems to occur quickly with this one. 10 Exercitium.not
Old 10-31-2014, 11:14 AM
Product Manager

Howdy,

Quote:
Don't you hate those kinds of problems.
They do present a challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by blane245 View Post
I could send you a parent piece, but actually the problem seems to occur on ALL pieces after I have them open for a while. Some times it is sooner than later. I could open a piece, do a very few modifications and the Piano Roll and Note Velocity will work fine. Other times, I made a few changes and they don't. I have not found a pattern yet. The problem will occur eventually as long as I have Notation running. If I restart it, it goes away for awhile and then come back.
There are a couple of things that come immediately to mind.

There may be some particular sequence of edits that trigger the problem, and I'm just not doing them correctly to recreate the problem. I've been fiddling with the file you sent for a while now, but still have not seen the problem of not being able to see the Piano Roll rectangles or Note Velocity vectors. If you see the problem show up, take a look at Edit and then the "history" list at the bottom of that list. If possible, please take a screen shot of it so I can try recreating the problem fresh.

The other possibility is that there is some machine configuration that makes the problem show up. I know that memory can be an issue sometimes as the Undo list will go as long as there is memory available. However, if machine memory gets full, weird things can start happening. Perhaps next time you see this issue show up, try (1) clicking Edit and then (2) Clear Undo History. If that makes the the Piano Roll and Note Velocity show up, then it may just be that you'll want to use that command more often to free up memory while working on pieces.

If anyone else sees the same problem, please feel free to weigh in on the conversation!

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 11-01-2014, 11:36 AM
Active User

Roll-velocityproblem1.docx
Here's a simple one. I opened the piece that I sent you and deleted all of the notes. I changes the tempo and changed the speed at the end of the piece. I then did what you see in the undo history. Then I clicked Note Velocity and Piano Roll. Each flashed for a second and then returned to the Notes tab.

Last edited by blane245; 11-01-2014 at 01:18 PM. Reason: type correction