Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Using Notation Software products with other (third party) products

Using Notation Software products with other (third party) products Find out from others, or share your experience, about integrating Notation Software products with sound libraries, audio processing software, and other hardware and software products.

Old 01-17-2007, 11:10 PM
Clyde (clyde)

Default Hi Mark, I am beginning to

Hi Mark,
I am beginning to work on some piano pieces for my web site, and started to play a midi file that has sustain PED expressions marked, and in fact I can see them in Composer:

The GPO I have just loaded the standard piano sounds:

However the result is that there is no Sustain Pedal at all in the piece, and so it sounds rather awful.

In contrast, if I play it throught the standard midi on my sound card, it has the PED expressions in the output.

Obviously the problem is not Composer - is there some different way that GPO needs to be driven when using the standard Piano sounds in order to get the PED to sustain the notes.

I read your PDF manual (on GPO Tutorial) and it says that GPO uses the sustain for the piano and legato for other instruments. But it doesn't appear to do that.

The midi file I'm using is attached:

<center><table border=1><tr><td>midi
Midi-It_well_with_my_soul-GMH.mid (16.2 k)</td></tr></table></center>

Cheers ... Clyde

Cheers ... Clyde
Old 01-20-2007, 04:47 AM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hello Clyde, There might be

Hello Clyde,

There might be a problem that the RH and LH staves are both assigned to channel 1 and both are playing the sustain pedal controller events. You probably do want to both the RH and LH to be played on the same channel, i.e., the same loaded GPO instrument. But try erasing the pedal graphs on one of the two staves. Actually, I don't have a good reason why that might work, but I think it's worth a try.

Cheers
-- Mark
Old 01-20-2007, 10:14 AM
Clyde (clyde)

Default Hi mark, What are you doin

Hi mark,
What are you doing answering e-mails while on holidays - naughty naughty!!!

I tried the same song again, but had only one staff directed to the GPO, (also tried with one muted) and still no sustain pedal effect on the staff being played by GPO.

Cheers ... Clyde
Old 01-20-2007, 03:11 PM
Fred Winterling (harbor1)

Default Hi Mark and Clyde, quote:

Hi Mark and Clyde,

quote: But try erasing the pedal graphs on one of the two staves. Actually, I don't have a good reason why that might work, but I think it's worth a try.

I'm not very much up on the use of GPO at this point, but I read (probably in the manual) that the sustain pedal is used only on one staff....I guess because there is only one pedal in reality. Also, it is important that for piano sostenuto the option in the Kontakt player must be set to "Normal Sustain/Sostenuto Operation".

I combined the RH and LH staff for "Solitude" and the sustain worked perfectly. I don't know if that is necessary. I never tried it with separate staves, although it should work that way also, but still with the pedal graphs on one staff.

Cheers,
Fred
Old 01-20-2007, 03:32 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hello Clyde and Fred,

Hello Clyde and Fred,

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

What are you doing answering e-mails while on holidays - naughty naughty!!! <!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>Actually, I'm attending a large music industry trade show, NAMM. Some folk attending the show pretend that they're working.

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

it is important that for piano sostenuto the option in the Kontakt player must be set to "Normal Sustain/Sostenuto Operation". <!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>I think Fred may have pointed to the solution. Thanks for the tip, Fred.

Cheers
-- Mark
Old 01-20-2007, 04:20 PM

Default Hi Mark, I have a question

Hi Mark,

I have a question ( idea? ). I am uploading a zip folder containing a .not file and .gps file for Solitude. The reason for the zip folder is that I had a problem with Internet Explorer downloading GPO files, and it worked with a zip folder. The reason for this experiment is that it may be a way for GPO users to exchange files in order to be able to analzye how others work with GPO and to learn how to handle certain situations. What do you think?

Cheers,
Fred
<center><table border=1><tr><td>
Solitude for GPO.zip (52.9 k)</td></tr></table></center>
Old 01-20-2007, 04:57 PM

Default Hi Mark, quote: I think Fr

Hi Mark,

quote: I think Fred may have pointed to the solution. Thanks for the tip, Fred.

I think that may be the only requirement.

I opened the files I just uploaded and the sostenuto worked properly. I then split the hands and it had no effect on the sustain. Both staves contained the pedal graphs. I then erased the graphs from the LH staff and played only the left hand. Without the graphs in the LH, it continued to play the sostenuto properly. So, it appears that the most important thing is the "Normal Sustain" option. The pedal graphs are only necessary on one staff.

Cheers,
Fred
Old 01-21-2007, 12:42 AM
Clyde (clyde)

Default Hi Fred & Mark, Thanks

Hi Fred &amp; Mark,
Thanks for the info about "Normal Sustain/Sostenuto Operation". It took me a little while to find it hiddent away in the 'General Options' menu.

I tried that, and it worked fine - and like you it plays with both hands having sustain info.

Thanks for the help.

Much appreciated ... Clyde