Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Technical area > Questions or problems
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search New Posts

Questions or problems Have a question or problem about something you can't find in the Help/Users Guide? Ask it here!

Old 03-28-2011, 01:05 PM

Default Multi-voice Problems

Hi Sherry -- I've been excited to read your response in "Still having problems with upper lower notation". I never found this capability, and I'd love to use it. One of the situations I chose to test is a measure from one of the strings pieces I did. I was always frustrated where I would have divisi violins in this instance, and the lower voice would be a half note, but the upper voice was moving. The lower voice would be broken apart into two tied quarter notes.

I've attached your Song1.not, wherein I've added (measure 3) an example from one of my scores. Measures 5 and 7 are two different treatments of measure 3.

1) the middle C on beat 1 - is there a way to show that uv is supposed to be playing a middle C quarter note, while lv is holding a half note? Essentially, uv and lv are playing a unison middle C for one beat, before uv breaks away.

2) measures 5 and 7 - two different attempts to separate uv and lv; all six of the notes in the quarter note triplet won't separate into two voices; measure 5 shows the Bb and G to be both uv; measure 7 shows G and Eb to be both lv; am I not holding my mouth right to get this to work?

Ralph
Attached Files
File Type: not Song1.not (8.3 KB, 1 views)
Old 03-28-2011, 01:39 PM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)
Default Re: Multi-voice Problems

Hi Ralph,

The good news is that you can do what you want, but yes, you do have to kind of hold your mouth right

I'm including the file you posted, but with what I think is the notation you're after inserted at measure 2.

VoicingTuplets.png

To do this, you have to click on the Voice button that you want when you add the note.

This is especially important for the cases where you have (1) the upper voice and the lower voice starting on the same note pitch, but with different durations (eg. the middle C where uv is a quarter note and the lv is a half note) and (2) tuplets. The first case is simply because Composer, because it is a hybrid sequencer/notation program, stays within the confines of MIDI, and thus to have the same note on the same pitch, it needs different voicings for different durations. You could add one of the middle C notes, change it's voice, and then add the second one, but that second one will have to have a different voice than the first one when you add that second note in order for it to display (and sound) correctly with the different duration.

The second case of the tuplets where you can't click on a note and change it's voice is a bug, and I've reported that. However, the good news here is that you can work around the bug by entering the tuplet notes initially with the two different voicings.

In the example here, when I went to add the uv notes, I clicked Quarter Note and Triplet and Upper voice buttons in the tool palette, then added the notes for the upper voice in the triplet. Then, I clicked Quarter Note and Triplet and Lower voice buttons, and added the notes for the lower voice within the triplet.

Task2421.not

Hope this helps!
Sherry

cross ref task 2421
Old 03-28-2011, 01:52 PM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)

p.s. If you're doing live recording into Composer to get this notation, you'll probably want to try setting the Transcription options (Setup/Transcription options) to anticipate two voices.

TranscriptionTwoVoices.png

However, if you have triplets as in your example that don't get transcribed as two voices, you can delete the notation and re-enter it using the tool palette and mouse as described below.

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 03-28-2011, 02:40 PM

Hi Sherry,

That's precisely what I wanted to do in your measure 2. I had never looked in the right place in Help to figure out how to do it. Thank you very much. Now, I have to resist the urge to go back into every multi-voice measure I've put into Notation Composer and correct it. However, the realist in me says, "Move on!"

I'm a looooong way from being anywhere near your P.S. suggestion. I know my Clavinova can record, but I have way too much to learn about entering the music I have on paper or in my head.

What a wonderful application!!!

Ralph