Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Share Your Music

Share Your Music Share your .not or .mid files of your arrangements or compositions.

Old 01-16-2006, 12:42 PM
David Jacklin (dj)

Default Not sure whether this goes in

Not sure whether this goes in rock or big band!

Here's an arrangement my 15-year old, Sean, recently created in Composer for his grade 10 music class. The instrumentation is based on what instruments are in the class; the content is from his own musical interests (Led Zeppelin, Yes, The Who, anything from the 60s that has organ in it, etc.). I mentioned our Hammond organ in another thread: Sean spends about an hour a day on it, honing his Rick Wakeman chops.

Anyway, Composer did the trick for him with this arrangement. The parts were all properly transposed and printed beautifully. The teacher had lots of questions about what software he used and was quite impressed. As the school uses some pretty old software, I told Sean to mention that (I believe) Notation Software offers a school discount program.

Put on some rainbow glasses and a black light before playing this one!

<center><table border=1><tr><td>In-na-gadda-da-vida Big Band
Ina Gadda Da Vidaclass.not (360.4 k)</td></tr></table></center>
Old 01-16-2006, 08:44 PM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hi David, Sean should get a

Hi David,

Sean should get a pretty good grade for this, I'd think. It's carefully worked out and built on a catchy theme, with some nice harmonic effects.

I did get a kind of inverse shock when the page turned and I saw the FFFF direction, but heard MP, perhaps MF. Tell him it would be interesting to hear with the dynamics as he imagines them. I enjoyed the direction "smash everything." I once wrote a graduation march for the college at which I taught, with "break the strings" (it was for piano) as the dynamic marking for the coda. Perhaps "smash everything" is the drum equivalent?

Amyhow, it is a nice job he's done.

all best,
mgj
Old 01-17-2006, 04:56 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hello David, Send my compli

Hello David,

Send my compliments to Sean, chip off the old block. This piece is nicely organized. Sean has a good sense for structure. He definitely should get a good grade for this!

Cheers
-- Mark
Old 01-18-2006, 12:26 PM
David Jacklin (dj)

Default Hi, M.G. and Mark: Thanks f

Hi, M.G. and Mark:

Thanks for your kind words. Sean's shown a lot of development in the past year, musically. (Well, in other ways, too.)

As the piece was solely intended for performance, he didn't go into arranging the dynamics, not knowing that I would upload it for others to hear. And, it was really the first piece he had done with Composer.

So a little bit of RTFM may be in order for the next piece.