Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Share Your Music

Share Your Music Share your .not or .mid files of your arrangements or compositions.

Old 10-27-2006, 01:44 AM
Fred Winterling (harbor1)

Default Hi guys, After about 30 days

Hi guys,
After about 30 days I finally finished a march! It's more effective if you can spread your speakers apart as far as possible. It starts with the band from right to left approaching the reviewing stand, stopping and playing for review, then continuing right to left after the song. I am now writing my own drum parts. Yippee! Sherry put me onto information@mididrumfiles.com over a year ago. I used their drum file loops a few times on other things, but got interested in their news letter a little later. There is a ton of information in those news letters and it is incredible what you can learn from them. They taught me how to use drum parts to write bass lines as well as rhythm parts for other instruments. It's awesome! Anyway, here it is.
<center><table border=1><tr><td>New March
Passing The Reviewing Stand_March.mid (93.8 k)</td></tr></table></center>
Old 10-27-2006, 05:33 PM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy Fred, Very effective

Howdy Fred,

Very effective use of "pan" to get the "passing the review stand" feel! We just recently went to the Caro Pumpkin Festival parade (gotta love living in a rural area ), and they had all the high school bands from about a 3 hour drive-time radius in the parade. This reminded me very much of some of the better performing bands, though the "pan out" would have had to cover more space

I can see players in my head for the different parts, and the various drummers going at it. Do you have in mind having a group - high school or college or such - perform this? I've got to know, given your playing history that I do know, if you played in a marching band. Though from some of what I know, it may have been a "groove band".

You've really been getting into different styles, and doing them all quite well. I think you may be having more fun than is allowed - better check that meter ;)

Have a great weekend!
Sherry
Old 10-27-2006, 06:36 PM

Default Hi Sherry, Thank you, again!

Hi Sherry,
Thank you, again!

*quote: I've got to know, given your playing history that I do know, if you played in a marching band.

The answer to that could be long. Yes! I was 9 years old and joined the Baltimore Colts Marching Band the very first week after my first clarinet lesson. The moderator for the Colt band ( Bob Cissin ) moved across the street from me. I learned 3 notes the first lesson and was practicing them when he heard me through the open window...squeak, squeak, squeak...squawk, squawk, squawk. He asked my mother if I could play in the band and she said yes. I was scared to death. I only knew 3 notes (badly) how could I play in the #1 marching band in town? He said it didn't matter. No one would hear me anyway and I could learn faster with the band than on my own. He only needed "bodies" to fill up the band. There were only about 30 players at that time, and the first Colt football team had left town and the band stayed together. That was in 1947. Most people (even those from Baltimore) do not even remember a football team before the NFL Colts came to Baltimore in 1954. They also don't remember that the original Colts colors were green and silver. We played mostly at Firemen's carnivals, Amusement Park amphitheaters, and were the big attraction at the Dundalk, Md 4th of July parade, as well as every other parade. I played with them for 9 years and another 4 years with my high school band, Calvert Hall College High School. So, in all, I played clarinet for 13 years in a marching band. I am sure I could get my old high school band to play this march. I just missed my 50th high school reunion (they didn't have my new address) and therefore missed the opportunity last month to visit with my old band instructors and the band, which is something I always did every 5 years at the reunions.
Here's a secret: The marching drum part at the end of the song is an actual drum beat the Colts used when I was with them. That is the "sticks" beat. It was neat because they also twirled the sticks and tossed them in the air while playing that beat... Pretty awesome! The majorettes also twirled gasoline lit batons. They were pretty famous for that feat (don't forget it was 1947). Bob's daughter was a majorette in the band. Her name was Roberta. So, as you can see, I was pretty lucky to live across the street from them. If not for that, I would never have had that kind of experience so early in my musical life.
The many different genres I have done lately I think I owe to you. Mididrum files taught me how to do that. You simply take a drum loop, add a bass part from the drum beat (and a chord progression) and then sing along with it to come up with parts to fit. That is also how you come up with many different themes and melodies. It took me a while to get the hang of it, but it works like a charm. Anyone who wants to learn from new ideas should go to that web site and sign up for the news letters. Drum parts used to frustrate me terribly, but it is getting a lot easier. Marching drum parts are absolutely the easiest to write. They pretty much mimic the melody and are very straight forward. Latin beats, however, are the hardest for me, but I am working on that. Anyway, sorry to bend your ear but I am so fond of those years with the Colts I couldn't help myself. Thanks for asking, you brought back so many great memories!

Cheers,
Fred
Old 10-27-2006, 06:55 PM

Default Hi guys, Thought I would add

Hi guys,
Thought I would add another little "secret" in case you are wondering how you can actually hear three sticks in the drum beat. (and how you can hear more than one drum in a drum line). For the sticks, you use 3 staves. Since there is only one stick sound, you use the piano roll and edit "as performed" only. On the first staff, set the attack one click ahead of the beat, the middle staff right on the beat, and the third staff one click after the beat. That way, you can hear all three stick notes rather than just one loud one. The same applies to drum notes, although you use 2 different snare sounds and 2 different bass drum sounds. That makes it sound like an entire drum line (although I didn't do that in this piece because it was enough with just the 2 different snares and basses). I may change that later, though in order to get a fuller drum line sound at the beginning and end.
Fred
Old 10-27-2006, 08:20 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hi Fred, Just got done list

Hi Fred,

Just got done listening to your march. It's really a kick. Very convincing. It's easy to visualize the band marching by. Congratulations on this nicely composed and arranged piece!

By the way, did you get my email complimenting Pasty on her painting of the piano and flowers that I saw a while ago at your web page? I really like her works. Like you, she's quite accomplished in her domain of the arts.

Cheers
-- Mark
Old 10-27-2006, 09:06 PM

Default Hi Mark, Thank you! It was re

Hi Mark,
Thank you! It was really a ton of fun doing it. I had so many themes going through my mind while working on it that I could have done a few more marches. I may do another later.
Yes, I got your e-mail complimenting Patsy on her artwork. She asked me to thank you, which I did by reply to the original e-mail. I guess you did not get it. We both appreciate the kind words and thank you again for recognizing her talents. Unlike me, she is a very humble person and has never realized how good she is. I tell her often how much I think of her work, but coming from me, I believe she thinks I am looking for stuffed lobster tail for dinner instead of meatloaf. Thanks again!
Fred
Old 10-28-2006, 06:53 AM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hi Fred, I read somewhere &

Hi Fred,

I read somewhere (probably on the back of an album of marches) that Sousa considered a good march was one that makes the toes twinkle. Yours certainly does that. It has everything a march should have, from the agressive tuba to the chatty piccolo (which is very effective, especially in the quiet Eb section), and of course sparkling tunes and lots of energy.

The cable went out last night, just before I was ready to download your march, so I didn't get to hear it until today. It was well worth waiting for; I enjoy it very much every time I play it. If you write more marches, you may earn the nickname Twinkletoes.

all best,
mgj
Old 10-28-2006, 05:41 PM

Default Hi MG, Thank you! Coming from

Hi MG,
Thank you! Coming from "the Master", that means a lot to me. I think, once before, someone called me twinkle toes but it was for a very different reason..
I can't forget that you once told me there was no reason I could not do a symphony. I still don't feel confident enough to attempt that, but, after doing the march, I have been thinking of embarking on a similar mission. I am thinking of doing a Drum &amp; Bugle Corps type performance, sort of like the movie "Drumline". It would be lengthy, possibly containing a "battle of the drum lines", a number of themes in various meters, glockenspiels, marimbas, xylophones, etc. I know it would be difficult and may take as long as year to complete. But I am considering working on something like that a little at a time, in between other things that I am more confident of doing. Without your motivation, I would probably not even attempt it. Thank you for all your encouragement!!
Cheers,
Fred
Old 10-30-2006, 10:59 AM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hi Fred, I won't even a

Hi Fred,

I won't even ask what the reason for getting called twinkle toes was ;)

There really isn't any reason you couldn't do a symphony. Basically, it's a matter of stating themes, developing them and repeating them. In the things you've posted, you probably have enough material already. It might be fun to take a couple of things, like Alabama Heart and Soul and Blue Blue Grass, and write a bridge between them and create a medley. If you did that, you'd have a very long exposition, so you might take a theme from each and bridge them together. That should give you the confidence.

I didn't realize your instrument was the clarinet--somehow I got the idea it was the trombone. I'm pretty depressed about the clarinet sonata I finished a week, or so, ago--and changed and changed since. It will be interesting to hear what you think...if I get to the point I am even mildly satisfied with it.

Your "similar mission" sounds intriguing.

all best,
mgj
Old 10-30-2006, 03:18 PM

Default Hi MGJ, > I didn't

Hi MGJ,

> I didn't realize your instrument was the clarinet--

I started on the clarinet at age 9 and then switched to the saxophone at age 14. Of course, I continued to play the clarinet, when called for, as well as the other woodwinds. I could play the flute, too, but I only played one flute solo in public because I almost fainted..

> It might be fun to take a couple of things, like Alabama Heart and Soul and Blue Blue Grass, and write a bridge between them and create a medley. If you did that, you'd have a very long exposition, so you might take a theme from each and bridge them together.

Wow, do we think alike! I am toying with the idea of using some of my original compositions as themes for the "Drum and Bugle" thing. They would not actually be the same and would be hard to recognize as the orininal. I would have to just use the melodies and change the meters and presentation of the theme to fit the "similar mission". I was centering on "Fred Has Left The Building" as the main theme (beginning and ending with it) because it would be appropriate for the personality the piece would require.

I know it ain't gonna be easy! The editing of all the drums staves alone would take months to do. I have been experimenting with that for a while now, and have found that I can make it sound like a complete line of at least 12 drummers. Then I would have to start on a line of glockenspiels, too. Oh, fun! If I can finish it at all, I expect at least a year of work is in store for me. I may have to release the piece one theme at a time along the way.
Cheers,
Fred
Old 12-13-2006, 08:06 PM

Default An Open THANK YOU to MG Jacobs

An Open THANK YOU to MG Jacobs,
Hi MG,
I am about to release my completed drum and bugle corps "sonata" or whatever it would technically be called ( medley? ). Your inspiration and confidence has been the total motivation for me to even attempt such a project. I honestly did not think I had nearly enough ability to accomplish it and mentioned to you that if I were to try to put something like that together, it would take me at least a year. I have worked on it since Oct. 30th and now after only 6 weeks it is about 1 - 3 days from completion. It will be about 20 minutes long. I won't take the space here to mention all the trials, tribulations, and frustrations that went along with it ( only operating currently with 512MB RAM ). The file got so long that even simple editing took forever. I was constantly faced with problems such as " how do I make a big band jazz song sound decent using drum and bugle instrumentation? ". There are no saxophones, guitars, piano, strings, clarinets, bass, etc. in a drumline. Strangely, there is very little loss of sound quality using only chromatic percussion and brass. In addition to some of my original compositions, I have also added a few songs that are not my own compositions but ones that I have simply arranged. Believe it or not, I have actually written my own drum parts (a major accomplishment for me). Again, I just want to offer you my sincere gratitude for your continued inspiration and urging. Thank you, MG!

Merry Christmas!
Fred