Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Tips and tricks for using Notation Software products
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search New Posts

Tips and tricks for using Notation Software products Learn (and share) tips and tricks for getting the most out of your Notation Software products.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-21-2011, 12:34 PM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)
Default Re: Video tutorials - let's make a list!

Hi,

Thanks for the input here! These types of replies are what help me to know what folks want

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspired View Post
I really would like to see a video on "How To Copy and Paste Different Instrument Parts in a Midi" I so often get really stuck when I try to do this, and even if I manage to get part way there, as soon as I then try to have the score display in "Easy Notes" I end up with the basic score!
I've been thinking of doing a tutorial on "note and score editing", which would include copying and pasting regions. I've also been thinking of doing one specifically on Parts and using the "Prepare Part" wizard, which would include the "Easy Notes". I'll add a vote to bump those up in priority (FWIW, these topics are both covered in the Users Guide;you can go to Help/Users Guide and use the Index to look up "copy and paste" and "Easy notes" respectively. That said, I know the value of a video step-by-step demonstration, too )

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgj32 View Post
After all these years of using MidiNotate and Notation, the most helpful thing for me would be an explanation/demonstration of getting melisma dashes to continue on the next page. I've never been able to make this work. Perhaps trouble shooting in Lyric Entry would be a good place for it.
Melismas are on the "to do" list for improvement, and you do have to do a bit of fanagling at present if the melisma is more than a couple of dashes long, or if it is a "stand alone" melisma (without other letter/number characters).

Short story (til I can get a tutorial shot):
Melismas are treated as Lyric text, and thus are associated with a particular note. Therefore, melismas currently won't "break" automatically and then continue on to the next page nor even the next system on a page. You have to enter another "extension" manually to another note in the staff.

You can do this by
(1) in Text/Lyrics (add mode) clicking on the next note location (either the second half of a tied note or the next other-pitch note) to add a "lyric" and
(2) hold the "Shift" key while pressing the space bar (to manually add a space in the lyric, to give something like " --" with a space in front) and then press the "-" key to add more melisma dashes. Adding that space in the beginning will bring the "stand alone" melisma into better vertical alignment with other melismas in the score that are attached to text (eg. "my--").

Also, a melisma currently will stick out (and over other objects) as far as it's dashes ("-") tell it to go. Therefore, you should be in Page View when adding any additional melismas, and you'll need to manually delete some of the dashes if the melisma is too long, or add more if it's too short.

Hopefully the above can get you both going for now, though a picture (or video) is worth a thousand words (I didn't really want to type a thousand words just now, so I'll do the videos hopefully soon ).

Thanks for the input!
Sherry