Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Share Your Music > "Learning and Teaching" pieces

"Learning and Teaching" pieces Arrangements for helping aspiring musicians learn to play from sheet music.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-02-2012, 02:41 AM

Default Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini Excerpt Duet

I have deleted and reattached this score. As my wife and I worked on playing the duet, I realized that measure 11 did not have the right tonality. The accompanying alto recorder part has been changed to improve this. Only the second of the sixteenth notes on beat 3 has changed -- a minor change, but it better reflects the proper tonality. Also, for those of you who play along with Notation, the slurs indicate a breath should be taken after the half note in measure 12. I had not shortened the played duration of this note to reflect the place to breath. I have made this change also.

My apologies to anyone who has already downloaded and printed this piece. I hope all that have will see this correction. It sounds better in my opinion.

Ralph Rayner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR
This piece is written for Soprano Recorder and Alto Recorder. Some of the pieces in this series are in keys that you might not see a lot in learning pieces. This was intentional to keep the Soprano part in the lower register. Play along with Notation Composer or print the piece for playing with your friend(s). Please feel free to change the instruments and/or keys to suit your personal needs. RRR
This duet is an excerpt from the "Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini, Opus 43, Variation XVIII" by Sergei Rachmaninoff. Variation XVIII is the well-known theme from this piece. My wife, Cynthia, made a special request for this theme when she heard it recently, remembering it from childhood. The full score of this piece is not available in Public Domain, so I used the adaptation for solo piano by Hermene W. Eichorn, which is available for free.

I have used considerable license in arranging this duet. The original score is in Db; the piano adaptation is in D; I've changed the key to Bb to accomodate the recorder ranges. There are places that I changed octaves for the same purpose. I've also dropped a number of measures near the end, at a point where it sounded musically appropriate to my ear. The dropped measures had tonal changes that were fine in context, but I felt they were not suited to two voices. So, the classical purist may not like the changes I've made, but I feel that I've captured the spirit of the theme.

We hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

Ralph Rayner
Attached Files
File Type: not Rhapsody Duet.not (45.8 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by rrayner; 05-09-2012 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Score Correction