Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Using Notation Software products with other (third party) products

Using Notation Software products with other (third party) products Find out from others, or share your experience, about integrating Notation Software products with sound libraries, audio processing software, and other hardware and software products.

Old 07-25-2007, 04:21 PM
Djim Tio (djimtio)

Default Hi Sherry, Mark,and all (i

Hi Sherry, Mark,and all (infected with GPO virus),

Feeling rather sick lately, after hearing GPO sounds,I have decided to purchase GPO (as a birthday present ).Not being a composer at all ,I got
interrested in the GM library ( which will be released soon ).But I am not sure whether the GPO Studio is included in this package.
Do I have to purchase GPO with the standerd orchestral library first and than waiting for X-mas to get the additional GM library as a second cure for the infection ?
I was not sure where to place this question so I started the new thread,but please feel free to remove it to a more appropriate place !
Cheers
Djim
Old 07-25-2007, 09:13 PM
Susan Bagot (susanmusic)

Default Djim, Have you tried asking y

Djim, Have you tried asking your questions at garritan.com?

I go there every single day hoping for news of the GM library (GEM). So far they have very few details on the website but I have heard rumors that the library really will be released in August.

Susan
Old 07-25-2007, 09:36 PM
Djim Tio (djimtio)

Default Howdy Susan Glad to hear that

Howdy Susan
Glad to hear that there are more " GPO infected " people around.I also tried to get some more information regarding the GM library,but communication is bad/impossible.I wonder what will happen if we really need some feedback regarding GPO products in the future.Maybe Sherry or Mark can throw some light into this matter.So for the moment,lets wait and see.
Cheers
Djim
Old 07-25-2007, 10:34 PM
Djim Tio (djimtio)

Default Hi again Susan I just managed

Hi again Susan
I just managed to send in an inquiery to Mr.Garritan regarding above mentioned questions.( hit CONTACT in the main menue and than E-mail:
Gary@Garritan.com).A pop up window will show which will give you the opportuity to ask some quetions.Hope this will help.
Cheers
Djim
Old 07-27-2007, 10:25 AM
Djim Tio (djimtio)

Default Hi Susan Using the above ment

Hi Susan
Using the above mentioned link I succeeded contacting Gary .He gave me all the answers about MEG.The date of release still remains a "secret",though.So letīs be patient for now.
Regards
Djim
Old 07-27-2007, 08:45 PM
Susan Bagot (susanmusic)

Default Hi Djim OK, so not counting

Hi Djim

OK, so not counting the release date, what did you find out about GEM? I think this product could appeal to many users of Notation Composer or Musician.

Susan
Old 07-29-2007, 12:05 AM
Djim Tio (djimtio)

Default Hi Susan I only found out tha

Hi Susan
I only found out that GEM is a complete setup including the GPO Studio in stead of a stand alone soundfont bank.Also there is a USD 25.00 discount for owners of a Mackie product,like Traktion for instance.
Not being a serious composer like Sherry,GM,Fred and Tim( to name a few)
GEM appeals to me, promissing better sounds than the soundfonts I am currently using for messing up old songs I used to play with the band and "constructing" new songs with Composer to play along with my bass guitar.So in my opinion, GEM might appeal to those users of Notation programs who are not seriously engaged in composing great orchestral works.If you didnīt already notice, an excellent user guide for installing and working with GPO and Notation Composer( by Mark and Sherry)is available and can be downloaded as a PDF file (Garritan website)to help us along getting nice sounds.BTW, what kind of instrument(s) are you playing ?
I have decided to go for GEM and give it a try.
Regards
Djim
Old 07-29-2007, 05:41 AM
Susan Bagot (susanmusic)

Default Hi Djim, Thanks for the i

Hi Djim,

Thanks for the info. It does sound as if GEM would be much more appropriate for me than GPO.

I'm a piano teacher who uses Standard Midi Files as accompaniments for my students' pieces. Most of the files I use are purchased from educational music publishers. But I do sequence my own files when none are commercially available for a particular teaching piece or collection.

Over the years I've used a variety of software and hardware synths/samplers. Thanks to this forum I've been able to work with soundfonts. I recently purchased the Ketron SD2 sound module (mostly wonderful sounds but a few I don't like).

Do I really NEED another software sampler? Probably not. The average eight-year-old piano student would be just as happy with Microsoft GS wavetable or with my GM keyboard as midi output. Furthermore, the musicians who sequence midi files for educational publishers do an excellent job of choosing patches that sound good on anything! But if GEM sounds anything like the GPO demos, how could I not get it?

Susan
Old 07-29-2007, 10:55 AM
Djim Tio (djimtio)

Default Hi Susan What about sequencin

Hi Susan
What about sequencing your own educational files with the GPO Steinway Library ?It should be fun for you and your pupils to listen and play along with a "real" Steinway.Maybe you should check out Tim Fatchenīs April Monday on SoundclickFlyingTadpole if you didnīt already.Itīs a lot of money though.( an early X-mas present !!).You also might be interrested in checking out whether you are eligible for a discount when using GPO for educational purposes.
Regards
Djim
Old 07-29-2007, 12:13 PM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy, Speaking of Steinway

Howdy,

Speaking of Steinways, there is a free soundfont made using a Steinway, and it's available at http://www.pianosounds.com/freesoundfont.htm You can also purchase (for $25) a larger font, which is supposed to sound even better (I haven't purchased it, so I can't give an opinion).

Also, not to hijack your thread too much Djim, but we have a Soundfont resource page on Notation's main website in the Special Interest section, at http://www.notation.com/SpecialInterest-Soundfonts.htm

Back to Djim's thread, I will also be interested to hear what Garritan's GM library sounds like, and how the parameters will be controlled. I'm no real composer (thanks for the compliment, though ;) ), but I do love playing around with nice sounds!

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 07-29-2007, 01:03 PM
Djim Tio (djimtio)

Default Howdy Sherry Thanks for the a

Howdy Sherry
Thanks for the additional information on the Steinway,which might be quite interresting to Susan too.The Soundfont resource page on Notations website is well known to me having spent lots of time ( and nightrests )
out there !
BTW, how are the rehearsels going on ?Did you do your "homework" well ?
Cheers
Djim
Old 07-31-2007, 01:14 AM
Susan Bagot (susanmusic)

Default Hi, Sherry (and Hi to you

Hi, Sherry (and Hi to you too, Djim)

Thanks for the ideas re Steinway soundfonts. I did download the one from your link, Sherry. Sounds great!

Susan