Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Share Your Music

Share Your Music Share your .not or .mid files of your arrangements or compositions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-07-2005, 06:04 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Here's another submission

Here's another submission in yet another style, light jazz, which is a style I haven't messed around with much. I wrote this piece 15 or 20 years ago, long before Composer.

See RhythmicVariationsT.not in two posts below

This was an unusual piece for me in that I wrote it in one day. Usually, I write at a snail's pace.

This piece has a simple theme, which is subjected to rythmic variations. I find that writing variations is a good way to work on composition technique. It's a way you can focus on one dimension of music while temporarily ignoring other dimensions by keeping them constant. In the case of this piece, the overall shape of the melody stays constant, the harmony doesn't change much, but as a composer I experiment a little bit with rhythms.

I entered this piece into Composer by actually playing it bits at a time. That way I was able to get the feel of the piece in, even though I had to play against Composer's metronome. (I really don't like metronomes.) I need to go back and manually add more tempo changes to loosen up the piece. So far, I've manually added only a few tempo changes.

Also, this piece, like all of the others I submitted today, do not have music annotations yet, like accent marks and dynamic marks and slurs. I'll get around to that someday.

Cheers
-- Mark