Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Share Your Music

Share Your Music Share your .not or .mid files of your arrangements or compositions.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:23 AM

Default Out of This World

Out of This World was written by Harold Arlen in 1945. This copy of my attached score was written in November, 1963. It was my fourth for this setting, i.e., jazz band w/strings, woodwinds and harp.

I did make some minor changes from the original, but for the most part, it stands as written.

The sections at Rehearsal Marks 5 and 7 are intended to be ad-lib solos by piano and trumpet, respectively. I have included the melody line in Section 5, so there won't be just background accompaniment during playback. Some Forum members have expressed interest in "playing along with the score", so they can simply delete the melody lines in those sections and have at it.

Section 7, however, was designed to be repeated a number of times, with the Control Booth in charge of fading to silence. I've included a rudimentary "ad-lib" solo for the trumpet, to fill the space. An aspiring soloist could delete the trumpet line and join in on the ending. The chord symbols shown are in the trumpet player's key.

As in my previous scores in this Forum, the clarinets have separate staves, whereas in reality, they would have been copied out on the saxophone parts for this instrumentation.

As mentioned before, our scores for the Band were handed in transposed, so the copyists didn't have to do the transposition while creating the parts, but I prefer to view them in concert to better visualize the voicings, so I've left the score in concert.

I've tried several new effects (to me) in Notation Composer, in an attempt to make the performance more like "live music". The first effect is in the intro, where I try to simulate a sforzando piano (sfzp), followed by a crescendo. This is intended to be a forte attack with an immediate diminuendo, followed by a gradual crescendo. I'm not certain if there's a better way to do this. Perhaps it needs a little more tweaking, but I'm satisfied with the effect for midi music.

The second effect is the "swallow", used in measures 2 and 4 of the piano solo in Section 5. In the saxophones, the second note in both measures (measures 82 & 84) is at a lower note velocity than the other three. A live horn player would do this as second nature to emphasize the phrase and the swing feeling. In scoring on paper, these notes would be within a set of parentheses to indicate a "swallow", but I don't think Notation has a means for me to show this.

The drum fill in measures 113, beats 3 & 4, & 114, beat 1, should all look alike. I couldn't get the grace note to work in measure 114.

This was my first score using vibraphones. I think that because I was forced to use the same channel as the harp, both instruments suffer in the midi version, but it was the best alternative for me at the time. With a group this large, midi channels are at a premium.

Again, hopefully you have a good midi instrument to export this to for sampling.

I hope you find some benefit in seeing/hearing this piece.

Ralph Rayner
Attached Files
File Type: not Out of This World.not (614.4 KB, 17 views)
Old 07-22-2010, 06:08 AM
Senior User

Default Re: Out of This World

A pleasure, as usual. I have the Merlin Creative sound fonts loaded, and it sounds fine. Did you consider using sound changes to distinguish the vibes from the harp? Just change one or the other to the channel of a staff not playing for the measures when harp and vibes are both in use. I also usually resort to gaining a channel by making the tuba a trombone, but putting tuba in for the instrument name. Not perfect, but workable.

all best,
mgj
Old 07-22-2010, 12:03 PM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)

Howdy Ralph,

Not only is it always a treat to hear your arrangements, but I for one really appreciate the time you take to annotate the score. I learn a lot by comparing (especially now that you're using various performance effects ) the annotations in the score with the performance I'm hearing as it goes along (I have aspirations to someday find time enough to play in our local big band). Great job, and thanks!

Quote:
In scoring on paper, these notes would be within a set of parentheses to indicate a "swallow", but I don't think Notation has a means for me to show this.
You can use Free Text, enter a left parenthesis, two spaces, and a right parenthesis. I then find it easiest to click outside the box, then select the parentheses so the red "grab" handle shows up, and then position the parentheses around the note you want to "swallow." I've written it up to make this easier (task 2350).

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 07-23-2010, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgj32 View Post
Just change one or the other to the channel of a staff not playing for the measures when harp and vibes are both in use. I also usually resort to gaining a channel by making the tuba a trombone, but putting tuba in for the instrument name.
Thanks for the suggestions, MG. I have the flutes & oboe channel open at the time I'm using both vibes and harp, but I've decided that, in ensemble, it's not necessary to split the vibes and harp apart. It sounds okay for my purposes.

In my previous scores, I had put the tuba on the same channel as the trombones, and it worked to my liking. However, in this score, I was "hoist on my own petard", as the sfzp effect I am using in the trombones was affecting the tuba, so that it no longer sounded like a unison with the bari sax.

Due to your suggestions, and my taking a look at the possibilities, I found two transcription errors in the harp part, so I'm reposting the file to clean it up. Thanks for your help.

Ralph
Attached Files
File Type: not Out of This World.not (615.1 KB, 11 views)
Old 07-23-2010, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry C View Post
You can use Free Text, enter a left parenthesis, two spaces, and a right parenthesis. I then find it easiest to click outside the box, then select the parentheses so the red "grab" handle shows up, and then position the parentheses around the note you want to "swallow." I've written it up to make this easier (task 2350).
Aha! Thanks, Sherry! That worked great. I've reposted the file with the changes, in the previous entry. Is there a way to delete the original?

Thanks for your appreciation of my notations.

Ralph
Old 07-23-2010, 03:16 AM

I meant to mention in my previous post, Sherry, that I received an email notification for MG's post, but I did not receive one for your post. Any ideas? I wouldn't have seen yours if I hadn't been responding to MG's post.

Ralph
Old 07-23-2010, 03:45 AM
Product Manager

Howdy Ralph,

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrayner View Post
I meant to mention in my previous post, Sherry, that I received an email notification for MG's post, but I did not receive one for your post. Any ideas? I wouldn't have seen yours if I hadn't been responding to MG's post.
MG is more well regarded

Semi-seriously, my favorite theory is a black hole.

Seriously, I don't know - if you started a thread, then you're Automagically(tm) subscribed to the thread and should receive notifications of all posts made to that thread unless you unsubscribe from it manually. Perhaps your email app or ISP has something against Irish last names?

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 07-25-2010, 05:44 AM
Senior User

Hi Sherry and Ralph,
It could be a cosmic ray. It would certainly fit with the title. I forgot to mention how much I like the two melodic horn passages. Wish I knew why, when the whole arrangement is so good, these stand out for me. It has something to do with the right instruments in the right places, I think.
all best,
mgj
Old 05-11-2011, 01:34 PM

I've finally joined the "cloud", and have posted my mp3 version of this score on Box.net.

http://www.box.net/shared/xxen38u7ib

As anyone sampling this thread might have a very different listening experience by playing the Composer file and/or the midi file, this mp3 version is very close to what this piece sounds like when I play it on my CVP-405. Again, it's not live musicians, but with my skill levels with electronic tweaking, it's as close as I can get at this time.

Ralph Rayner
Old 05-11-2011, 09:16 PM
Product Manager

Dang, Ralph!

I'm gonna have to break this out with my bass and play along I loved the stereo separation I'm hearing with the instruments (I'm using headphones) and the performance as a whole sounds really good.

Thanks for sharing!
Sherry