Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Technical area > Questions or problems
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search New Posts

Questions or problems Have a question or problem about something you can't find in the Help/Users Guide? Ask it here!

Old 04-30-2011, 10:55 PM
Active User

Unhappy Composer downloading Error...please Help!

Been trying to download the Composer trial version. Keep getting Error that says

'Decompression Error; C:\Users\Public\Document\Notation\Templates\MidiFi leDefault.not [#- 2000000005]

Can anyone tell me what this is and how I stop it? I'm using Vista and have Rebooted computer, but Composer isn't there. I have Notation Player, but not the Trial version of Composer I'm trying to download. Don't know what's going wrong or what the Error message means.

Thanks!
Old 04-30-2011, 11:43 PM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)
Default Re: Composer downloading Error...please Help!

Hi,

This type of error message usually means that the download of the trial version was incomplete. Please try removing (deleting preferably) the partially downloaded installation file and redownloading it. Then try the installation again.

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 05-01-2011, 12:08 AM
Active User

Thank you. Yes, it keeps telling me that the Installation was Incomplete due to the Decompression Error in the Notation\Templates\MidiFileDefault.not

I have tried a few times now, and keep getting the very same thing. It also asks me if I'd like to "rollback" seeing it was incomplete. I've tried both Yes and No, but doesn't help.

I'm trying one last time now....will let you know in a minute......

Have a performance TOMORROW Morn. and need to get some notes on paper ASAP. I know, I know.....talk about last minute, but I can give Composer downloading another try, then afraid I need to give up.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:23 AM
Active User

Sherry C
Thanks for trying to help, but it's just not working. I've Deleted all the incomplete Installs,......I don't have to Uninstall my Notation PLAYER too, do I? Because I still have that.....just wanted to try the Composer, before I buy it which I've been hoping to do soon.

But alas, the same Decompression Error keeps coming up no matter what I do. Feel like this is hopeless for some reason and I just don't know why. I can download anything else, at any time, but just not Notation Composer it seems.

If you ever come up with an answer to this for me, I'd appreciate it.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:49 AM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)

Hi,

You won't need to uninstall Notation Player - that's a separate installation. The specific steps regarding Composer would be:

1. Delete the setup file (NotationComposer263Trial.exe) from your computer, whether it's in a download folder or on your desktop.

2. Use Windows "Uninstall software" feature to see if there are any entries for Notation Composer, and uninstall them. There shouldn't be, but it never hurts to be thorough. If you do find something to uninstall, reboot the machine after the uninstall procedure.

3. Redownload the setup file from this link.

4. Now try using the freshly downloaded setup file to install the trial version of Notation Composer.

One other item to note is that some flash drives and Vista don't get along too well. If you're trying to install the trial version of Notation Composer from a flash drive, you might want to first copy the installation file to your computer's hard drive and then run the installation from there.

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 05-02-2011, 06:00 PM
Active User

Thanks again Sherry C, but I have now done that over & over & over again. I always get the same result.

I have checked everything I can think of, have Deleted previous attempts, emptied Recycle bin even, and so on.....

but still continue to get the 'Decompression Error' in the MidiFileDefault.not

I have tried now, probably 12 times. I have followed your instructions precisely. It's just not working and I have no idea whatsoever as to why. I can download anything else.

REALLY wanted to try out Composer, but at this point, don't know how I'd ever be able to, if I can't get the Trial version downloaded. I had no problem whatsoever with the Player. I just don't get it. And I really am disappointed and completely baffled, but at this point just plain worn our from trying & trying.

Thanks again for trying to help. If you ever hear of what else could possibly be wrong or find a solution, please let me know.